Even though there is no official ICS update available for the Motorola Defy smartphones, its users can still apply a custom firmware in order to upgrade the phone’s system. There are several ROMs suitable, most of them being presented during our previous step by step guides. So, for more info check the same. Anyway, in this tutorial we will be checking in how to update your Motorola Defy with the Pikachu Custom ROM firmware, which comes with major features that can’t be found in the default version of the Android software.
You should install this update only if you are not satisfied by the stock ROM, or by your handset’s capabilities. As we all know, these kinds of operations are risky, therefore complete them only if you have to. Don’t worry as if you follow the steps from below there shouldn’t be any kinds of issues. To conclude, update the Defy with Pikachu if you want to improve the performances of your smartphone, gain more speed and access to its system, personalize the looks and unchain the internal system. More info can be checked below, where you have some of the features which will be added once you flash this custom ROM firmware.
When we talk about custom ROMs we must mention the looks. As already stated, the firmware will personalize the classic Android interface by installing new themes and effects. You will be able to change the appearances, the icons and lot more. This can be suitable for those who are tired to see the same old Google flavor featured on their Defy. A screenshot with the Pikachu firmware running on the already mentioned handset is being displayed below, so take a look.
As always, for updating a device with a beta software it is necessarily to have a rooted phone. This means that the Defy should have a rooted system before proceeding in installing something on it. Take note that if you choose to perform this operation, the warranty will be void. You can reclaim it only by getting and installing an official update, or the stock ROM (a downgrade to be more precise). Then, the bootloader will be relocked and the warranty restored. Unfortunately, there are no words from Motorola about a future release of an official ICS upgrade, so the Pikachu firmware is (for now) the perfect solution for you.
Remember that this is not the only method available for update the Defy, CyanogenMod 9 and other software being ready for you. Suitable tutorials were explained here on Android.gs, don’t hesitate and search for the same. You must apply these guides only for the Motorola Defy handsets and not for similar devices as you can brick them. Furthermore, don’t perform steps by yourselves without reading our indications, as bad things can happen and without the warranty you will be on your own.
Before starting the proper procedure you must complete the next preparation tasks. The pre requisites are essential, especially if you want to make a safe update. Don’t skip this section, read all carefully and tell us if you don’t understand something.
- Make a backup first.
- Backup the current ROM for restoring it in case something unexpected happens.
- Save contacts; the best way for doing this is by syncing with Google and by using the Android cloud.
- Download SMS backup and restore apps for Android.
- Download Call log backup and restore tools.
- Save Internet settings too.
- Use a computer for other files.
- Then, after the backup, you should charge the phone’s battery.
- On the computer and on your Defy uninstall or just deactivate the Firewall programs for avoiding the unpleasant situations.
- Make sure you can use the USB cord.
- Also, on your smartphone enable the USB debugging option.
- Remember to root your Motorola device.
As soon as the up mentioned list is completed, you can then go and start the steps. You need to have access to a Windows running computer, because you have to save the ROM file and then transfer it to your phone, but more about this below.
How to Update Motorola Defy with Pikachu Custom ROM (step by step guide)
- Go here and download the ROM file.
- Save it to your computer.
- Then, connect the phone with the PC via USB cord.
- Copy the file downloaded in step 1 from the PC to the phone’s SD card.
- Disconnect by removing the USB cable.
- Turn off the device.
- Enter in recovery mode menu: press the Volume Down button while powering on.
- From the recovery mode menu first perform a full wipe of the system: “Wipe date factory reset” and “Wipe cache partition”.
- Return to the recovery menu.
- Select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card” and pick the file which you had placed before.
- Tap “ok”.
- Wait until the process is done.
- That’s it.
So, that was the how to procedure in which you could learn how to update the Motorola Defy with the Pikachu Custom ROM firmware. Give it a try and see if there are bugs in the system. If there are issues, share them with us and with other users. Don’t worry though, as we will come with more how to guides in order to update the Defy and remove the problems. But, until then, stay close and check our posts for more Android related tips and guides.