Update Motorola Defy Plus to Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich Stable Firmware
Motorola Defy Plus has been launched for some time and now you can easily update it to a new stable Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4 ICS firmware that brings numerous extra features and functions. It is not an official update, but a custom ROM firmware that should only be applied on rooted devices.
All the instructions you need can be found in this article and before applying them you will need to read the pre-requisites guide to learn what actions needs to be taken before starting to update your Motorola Defy+. This new Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4 is stable but it still has some issues that are making the default web browser to force close from time to time. However, you can easily avoid this by installing another web browser from the Google Play Store like Chrome Beta or Dolphin Browser HD. Also, the flash player is working but it still has some bugs and it might crash randomly. AirTwist feature when enabled will disconnect the internet.
The Phone, SMS, Themes, Multi-boot, Camera and other stock applications are working perfectly on this 4.0.4 ICS stable firmware for Defy Plus phone. Now that you know all this info, let’s move to the preparation guide and learn how to properly configure your device before installing the new firmware ROM on it. Here’s what you need to know:
- the firmware installation will need you to wipe all data from your device and this means that if you don’t want to lose any important, then you will need to move them on your phone’s internal SDcard as that will be the only part of your phone left unchanged.
- disable the antimalware and antivirus applications from your phone and computer.
- Enable USB debugging.
- Backup the Call logs and text messages using these two applications: Call Logs backup & restore – SMS Backup & Restore.
- The contacts should be synced with your Gmail account. If you don’t know how to do it, then you read this ‘how-to guide’ here.
- Save the APN and MMS Settings, just in case you won’t be able to browse the internet after applying the new firmware on your Defy+.
- Make sure to charge the battery of your device until it reaches at least 70% power and this will prevent it from switching off while updating the ROM.
- your phone has to be rooted and running CWM recovery.
Now that you know all this and you’ve successfully prepared your device and backed up the important data stored on your phone, I think you’re ready to start installing the new firmware on your Defy+ phone.
- Download Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4 Android ROM zip file from here.
- Download Google Apps zip file from here. Gapps will install Gmail, Gtalk, Google Play store, Calendar, Agenda and all the other Google applications you need in order to correctly configure your device. That’s a guide explaining why you need the Gapps package and there you will find the download link and when you get to the download page simply select the one file for CyanogenMod 9. This app needs to be flashed after you installed the new ROM.
- Now that you’ve downloaded those zip files on your PC, you need to connect the phone and then place them in the internal SDcard. Do not create any subfolders, simply drop the zip files in the internal sdcard.
- Disconnect the phone and then power it OFF.
- Enter recovery mode on your phone by pressing and holding ‘volume down’ and ‘power’. Wait for recovery mode to load.
- Now select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm its actions.
- Now, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from internal sdcard’ and proceed to find and select the ROM zip file for your Defy Plus device. Confirm the installation and wait for it to complete.
- Return to the main recovery screen and select again ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from internal sdcard’ only that this time you have to install the Google Apps zip . Wait for it to complete the installation and then select ‘++go back++’ and then ‘reboot system now’.
- Wait for the first boot process to complete and when the Android homescreen loads on your Motorola Defy Plus phone it means that everything went according to plan and the Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich Stable ROM firmware has been installed. Note that the first boot might take at least 10 minutes to complete.
Please note that in case your phone doesn’t boot, it freezes or gets into a loop boot then you will have to remove the battery and then re-insert back on your Defy+ and then repeat all the steps above. The second time you should manage to install the new ROM, but for it to happen I recommend you to carefully read and apply all instructions, do not skip any steps listed in the installation guide.
For any other questions please use the comments sections.