Update Motorola Defy to Super Stable Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich Firmware
Motorola Defy can now be easily updated with a super stable edition of Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich firmware and all the steps you have to take are listed in this post.
Before moving forward you need to know that this firmware build is not an official release by Motorola, but one created by CyanogenMod team and it is an CM9 Android 4.0.4 ICS based on Froyo kernel and it will work only for Motorola Defy running Froyo kernel that is rooted.
There isn’t any official release date set for Android 4.0.4 for Motorola Defy and that’s why you need the CyanogenMod team’s firmware, to benefit and experience the Android 4.0.4 right on your not-that high end device. With the new firwmare you will get support for Chrome browsers, Face Detection, Network Usage Stats, Camera Panorama and multiple other ICS-based features. If you find any other working functions then please let us know in comments.
To successfully install the ICS 4.0.4 Android super stable firmware on your Defy, you will need to read the preparation info listed below. This will help you correctly configure your Defy phone and the computer for the firmware update process. Here’s what you need to know and what actions you have to take:
- Backup all the video, audio, pictures, pdf, documents and any other important file that you don’t want to lost when updating the firmware. You can move these files on your phone’s internal or external sd card or, you can move them on your computer and then restore all back using the USB connection data cable.
- Text messages and Call logs can easily be backed up using these two programs for Android: Call Logs Backup & Restore | SMS backup & Restore.
- Sync your Contacts in your Android Defy device with your Gmail Account. Use this guide if you don’t know how to sync the contacts with Gmail.
- Backup the internet and MMS Settings. This will help you restore the correct settings after the update.
- enable USB debugging from your phone’s Android settings.
- disable all the antivirus apps from your computer and smartphone, so that no other application will interfere with the firmware updating process.
- charge the phone’s battery until it reaches over 75% power level and you will prevent it from discharging while installing the ICS 4.0.4 ROM super stable.
- your Defy phone has to be already rooted and have recovery mode installed. Do not attempt to install this new update firmware on any other device as it will work only with Motorola Defy.
- Users that are using a Motorola Defy Plus and wish to update to Android 4.0.4 ICS then you will need to use this guide HERE.
That’s all the info you need before moving to the installation guide. Note that we cannot be held responsible in case something goes wrong and your phone gets bricked or you lose important files. Make sure to read all the steps as well as the above preparation guide. Use comments field to post all your questions regarding Motorola Defy and the Super Stable CM9 Android 4.0.4 ICS firmware.
How to update Motorola Defy to Android 4.o.4 Ice Cream Sandwich super stable ROM firwmare:
- Download the Android 4.0.4 ICS by CM9 zip ROM file from HERE.
- Download Google Apps file from HERE. This file is required so that your phone will feature all Google applications for Android after the installation of the ROM. Click that link to learn more and to download the correct Gapps file for your phone. However, if you don’t know which one to choose, then simply download the CM9 Gapps zip as the ROM you’re about to install is CyanogenMod 9 based.
- Move the ICS ROM and Gapps zip packages on your phone’s internal sdcard. Do not extract their contents, simply place the files where I’ve told you without the need of creating any subfolders.
- Power OFF your smartphone and then boot into recovery mode. Do it by pressing and holding simultaneously the ‘volume down’ and ‘power ON’ keys. When in recovery mode move to the next step.
- Now, select ‘ wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm its action. Return to the recovery mode main screen.
- Select ‘install zip from sd card’ and then ‘choose zip from internal sd card’. Find the Android 4.0.4 ICS zip file you moved on your phone at step 3. Confirm the installation and wait until it completes.
- Now, you need to install the Google Apps. Repeat the actions at step 6, only that instead of the ROM file, you need to select the gapps.zip file. Confirm the installation.
- When the ROM and the Gapps files have been flashed you will need to return to the main recovery screen by selecting ++Go Back++.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and then wait for the phone to load the home screen after the first boot is complete.
After the first boot is complete you should see the home screen loading and now your Motorola Defy device is running the latest CM9 super stable Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich ROM firmware. Please note that the first boot process will take a while before loading all files and you should give it at least 10 minutes to complete its actions.
In case your phone gets into a boot loop and it cannot load the homescreen of Android 4.0.4 then you might’ve bricked it and now you have to repeat all the steps listed in the tutorial installation guide because you might’ve skipped or forgot to apply one of the steps listed there. Remember that we cannot be held responsible in case something went wrong and your phone has been bricked.
Use the comments field to post any questions you might have regarding Motorola Defy and this Android 4.0.4 ICS updating guide.