The Nightly release of Avatar 3.0.1 custom ROM firmware has been made available and now you can update the same on your Motorola Droid 4 XT894. So, if you want to experience the latest Android OS, Jelly Bean 4.2.2 software, on your own device, then complete this step by step guide which will easily take you through the installation procedure of JB 4.2.2 Avatar firmware.
The Motorola Droid 4 smartphone has been released last year with Gingerbread on board. Since then Motorola provided several OTAs for its Droid 4 XT894 but the Android 4.2.2 software hasn’t been rolled out yet. But if you still want to flash the latest features, apps and capabilities on your handset then you will have to learn how to update with a custom ROM. Avatar 3.0.1 Nightly might be the perfect firmware for you as the update is stable, comes without bugs and issues and brings a custom version of JB 4.2.2 OS.
Avatar is powered by the stock Android software but comes with extra features and capabilities, some ported from the CM10.1 platform. And since this is the official release of Avatar ROM, you have all the reasons for installing the system on your Droid 4. As mentioned, according to those who have already flashed the update, there are no bugs and Avatar is smoothly running on the Droid 4 XT894.
Because this is not an official Android update released by Motorola or Google for your Droid 4 (we are dealing with an unofficial port – a free aftermarket distribution to be more precise – of the Jelly Bean OS) for being able to install Avatar ROM on your device you first have to read and complete the guidelines from below; those are the pre requisites so don’t skip the same if you want to successfully perform this tutorial.
- The warranty of your phone will get void because you will have to root your Motorola device. The root operation is also unofficial and that’s why you will lose the Droid 4 warranty.
- You can restore the warranty by flashing the stock Android firmware, or by updating with an official software provided by Motorola and suitable with your smartphone.
- Root your handset and then use another guide for installing a custom recovery image. Unfortunately the stock recovery can’t be used when flashing custom ROMs. Use CWM or TWRP recovery if possible as these are the most popular custom recovery images for Android.
- Backup the Droid 4 data because a wipe will be required which means that all of your data that is saved on the internal storage memory will be erased. Use backup and restore apps and complete a full backup, including a Nandroid one.
- Make sure you have access to a computer, to your handset and to its USB cable.
- Uninstall the antivirus and antimalware protection from your smartphone and from your computer.
- Charge the battery of your device – do this if there is less than 50% power left.
- Enable the USB debugging option: “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- Use this tutorial only if you own the Motorola Droid 4 model number XT894; else you might end up in bricking your Android based smartphone.
How to Update Motorola Droid 4 to Android JB 4.2.2 with Avatar Custom ROM Firmware
- Download the latest build of Avatar custom ROM firmware.
- Get the software from here.
- Save the file on your computer without unzipping, preferable on desktop.
- Do the same thing for the Google Apps package which can be downloaded from here.
- Then, connect your handset with the computer.
- Use the USB cable for establishing the connection.
- Transfer the downloaded files (copy paste or drag and drop) from the PC to your phone’s SD card.
- Disconnect the devices by removing the USB cord.
- Turn off your Droid 4 and wait a few seconds.
- Then reboot your phone into recovery mode.
- Once the recovery mode menu is being displayed, select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache” – this is why you need to backup the data.
- Return to the main menu of recovery.
- Select “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card.
- Select or pick the update file first.
- Flash the firmware.
- Then, repeat the step and install the Google Apps package.
- When done, from recovery select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- That’s it; if there are problems try to resolve the same by using our dedicated step by step guide.
Good job you have updated your Motorola Droid 4 to custom Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS as the Avatar custom ROM firmware has been successfully installed. Test the software, see how it performs and compare the results with the previous ROMs that have been featured on your handset. Don’t hesitate and share your impressions with us and with others who might want to complete this tutorial.