Update Motorola Droid RAZR HD XT 926 to Unofficial CM 10.1 ROM
An unofficial build of CyanogenMod 10.1 ROM has been released for the Droid RAZR HD smartphone, and you can use the instructions listed in this post to learn how to successfully update your device with it. Read the entire post and make sure that you use this new custom ROM only for testing purposes.
This is a ROM that is based on AOSP Android 4.2 and it currently comes as a preview build and it will take some time before it gets to the final stage. Not all the functions of CM10.1 or Android 4.2.1. are working and some of them are the NFC, Camera, WiFi Hotspot and Audio in-call. However, the SMS/ MMS, Bluetooth, Wifi functions, the Gesture typing, lockscreen widgets, Miracast wireless display and 360 degree panorama photos are working. It has been build by an XDA developer named ‘dhacker29′ and before you can start to install it, you should read the preparation guidelines below:
- Use this tutorial only with the Motorola Droid RAZR HD device. Do not use this tutorial with another device as that will result in a failed attempt and you might brick the device.
- Your smartphone has to be rooted and running the SafeStrap Recovery image. Without these requirements, you can’t flash the new CM 10.1 Android 4.2 Experimental ROM.
- It would be better if you’d use this ROM only for testing purposes. That is why you should create a NANDROID backup of your ROM before installing this new ROM. You’ll find a step in the tutorial that tells you how to create such backup with the ‘SafeStrap Recovery’ mode. Also, create backups of any other files that you want to use with the new Android CM 10.1 OS.
- Charge the phone’s battery until it hits the ’50%’ power value so that it won’t power off during the update.
- Don’t skip any steps listed in the tutorial. It would be better if you’d be an advanced Android user. I repeat, this is an experimental build of CM 10.1 and it is not an official release by the CyanogenMod team, which is why it packs some bugs and functions that aren’t working at the moment.
- Read the entire post and if you cannot complete the update, then you should ask for more help in comments and we will try to come up with a solution to any problem you might find.
- Remember that you cannot blame us in case something goes wrong during the update. You’re the sole responsible for installing custom ROMs and other files on your device.
I think that these are all the guidelines you had to read and now you should continue to the tutorial.
Update Droid RAZR HD XT 926 with Unofficial CM10.1 custom ROM based on Android 4.2:
- Download the custom CM 10.1 Experimental build from HERE.
- Download the Gapps file for this ROM from HERE. Do not extract the contents of these zip files.
- Connect your smartphone to your PC and then move both zip files on the internal SD card. Disconnect the device from PC when the files are moved successfully.
- Power OFF your device and after that Power it ON. The Motorola splash screen appears and you should select the SafeStrap ‘Recovery mode’ option. Wait for the new menu to load and then get to the next step.
- From the main ‘Recovery’ menu you should select ‘Backup’ option. Confirm this NANDROID backup of your currently installed ROM. ( This acts as a restore point of your ROM in case you cannot boot the device after installing it ). After the backup is finished continue with the remaining steps and return to the main recovery menu.
- Now you have to configure and enable the ROM slot for CM 10.1 Unofficial ROM. Hit the ‘Boot Options’ selection in SafeStrap and then tap the ‘ROM-Slot-1′ option. Change the ‘minimum data partition size’ to 1GB. Wait for this process to complete and then you can get to the next step. NOTE: If you think that you will need a bigger space for the ROM, as in installing tons of new apps and games, then you can choose to enter another size valued.
- After the ‘Partitiong’ action is finished, it means that the ROM slot can now be used.
- Press ‘Home’ in SafeStrap and get to the main menu of the recovery mode.
- Tap ‘Install’ and you will now need to find the ‘CM 10.1 custom ROM’ zip file. Confirm that you want to install it on your smartphone.
- When the new ROM is installed you should repeat step 9 and install the Gapps for CM 10.1 zip. Confirm this process and then return to the main SafeStrap Recovery menu.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ option and then the Motorola Droid RAZR HD will start its first boot process with this new ROM.
- You’ll have to wait for 10 seconds to complete the boot or you can choose to click ‘Continue’ to load the new ROM without waiting for the automatic process.
- Enter your Google Account details and after that test the new Android 4.2.1-based CM 10.1 custom build for Droid RAZR HD.
These were all the steps you had to take and now you should tell us in comments if you like it and, if you found any new bugs /errors while testing it.
In case you don’t like this new ROM, then you should use the NANDROID ROM backup file and restore your device to the previous Android OS. This might an inevitable choice since this new ROM might have some components that aren’t working at the moment. Remember that this is a testing build of CyanogenMod 10.1 Android 4.2.1 ROM and there are some errors comprised within, and we cannot be blamed for any problems you might encounter while using it.