CyanogenMod 10 may still be in its beta stage of development but this isn’t stopping those of xda-developers to release suitable updates for numerous Android based smartphones. There are many ROMs available for a long list of devices, for the same check out our how to section. Now, the Motorola Droid RAZR users will be able to update their handsets to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean OS by manually installing the CM10 custom ROM, completing this operation being what you can learn during the following step by step guide.
The process of flashing the CM10 custom ROM firmware on your Droid RAZR will be easy to complete as we will take advantage of a tool, from which you can install the update on your handset directly from the phone SD card. For that you need to have access to a Windows running computer and to the USB cord of your device. Furthermore, you must install a custom recovery image on your RAZR (this is the tool mentioned above). So, applying the update will only take a couple of minutes from your time, though you should first take care of the pre requisites described below.
But first, you must know that the present software isn’t provided by Motorola and has nothing to do with the company. Also, CM10 isn’t yet official; this is the preview version of the same. Therefore, there might be bugs and things that aren’t working in the system, this update being just the first release and during the following ones the issues will be resolved and removed. Unfortunately there aren’t words about a future Jelly Bean OS provided by Motorola for its Droid RAZR devices, so this is the best opportunity for you, at least for now.
As the firmware is in beta stage and as we are not dealing with an official port of the Android platform, for being able to install the Jelly Bean based CyanogenMod 10 ROM on your RAZR you will have to previously gain root access over your phone. If not you will not be able to flash the software. So, follow a suitable root tutorial and then return here and resume this guide. Be aware that by rooting, the system will be unchained so the warranty will be lost. For restoring the same you will have to downgrade to the stock ROM or wait until the official update is released and then apply it. Also, as mentioned before, a custom recovery image must be installed on your smartphone.
Now for being able to know the advantages that will come once you flash the update, in the next list you can see which the things that works in this version of CM10 are. Remember that it’s a beta variant so don’t expect to see numerous capabilities added. Furthermore, from what we know the camera / camcorder is not working at all; also there might be some other issues too, so think twice before completing the steps from this tutorial.
The final section of the present step by step guide is referring to the pre requisites. You mustn’t skip it as this is the most important part of your job. We will be talking about how to prevent from losing personal info by performing a backup operation and then about the things you must prepare for the installation procedure. Without completing the next list you will not be able to update your Motorola Droid RAZR to Jelly Bean OS.
- Backup the current ROM for ensuring that you can restore it if something wrong is happening and you cannot use the new one.
- Backup the text messages from your phone by downloading and installing SMS backup and restore tools for Android.
- Do the same for saving the call logs.
- Also, learn how to sync with Google and save the contacts.
- Use a computer or an SD card and save any other files form your smartphone.
- Then, ensure that you have a rooted device with a custom recovery image installed into its system.
- On your computer and RAZR uninstall the security tools as these programs are usually interfering with the updating process.
- On your phone enable the USB debugging option.
- Then, charge it or make sure that there is at least 60% power left.
Those were the preparations tasks, meaning that you can now safely head to the steps from below. All that you need to do is to follow my directions and that should be it. It’s important to apply this method only for the Motorola Droid RAZR handsets and not for similar devices as you can easily brick them.
How to Update Motorola Droid RAZR to Jelly Bean with CM 10 Custom ROM
- Frist of all you must get the proper update file.
- Download link is here, save the file on your computer.
- Don’t unzip.
- Just use the USB cord and connect your phone with the PC.
- Then, select the downloaded file from the computer and copy paste it to your handset.
- Remove the USB cable and disconnect the device.
- Turn it off or just reboot in recovery mode.
- The recovery mode menu can be reached by pressing on Volume Up and Volume Down while powering on.
- The first thing to do in recovery is the wipe.
- So, select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- In the end select “+++go back+++”.
- Again, from recovery menu, now select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the update file downloaded before.
- Click “OK”.
- Wait until the CM 10 ROM is being flashed.
- When done, select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
That was the whole deal; now your Motorola Droid RAZR is running the latest Android operating system, the Jelly Bean platform. All these were possible thanks to those of xda-developers who had brought us the preview version of CyanogenMod 10 custom ROM firmware. So, test the new OS and see how it performs. Share the bugs with us and with other users and also tell us if there were problems while trying to complete the steps. We will do our best in order to help you out.