Even though the Motorola Photon Q 4G is an mid range Android based device, you can still spice things up a little bit as a new custom ROM firmware has been made available for your device. But the best part is that we are talking about the most popular custom software that is available for the Android system; yes, that’s right, we do mean CyanogenMod. Anyway, that’s not even the best part, as thanks to the same devs, now you can update your Photon Q 4G LTE XT897 / XT897C handset to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS. So, during the following lines we will be checking on how to install CM10.2 Android 4.3 custom ROM on the Motorola Photon Q 4G.
CM10.2 is coming with the latest features, apps and capabilities available for the Android platform, not to mention that there will be included both stock and extra features. Of course, since CM10.2 is based on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS, your Photon Q 4G LTE XT897 / XT897C will be updated with a custom version of the same firmware. CM10.2 is coming with its own looks which means that you will not receive the default Android software, but that doesn’t have to be a bad thing for you. Anyhow, CM10.2 is optimized for providing improved performances, better battery life and upgraded speeds which means that your Motorola Photon Q 4G will be powered up.
So, if you want to take your phone to a higher level of power, then you need to complete this step by step guide. Don’t worry as the update process is not hard to complete and you will have all the info and details required explained during the guidelines from below.
The first to begin with is the list from below. There you have the essential and general pre requisites. Don’t skip this part as this is the most relevant one. Without applying the preparation tasks you will not be able to safely install CM10.2 on your Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE XT897 / XT897C, so try not to mess things up.
- Root your smartphone for unchaining the system. A custom ROM can be installed only on rooted devices because the firmware needs to access some internal files and in built programs.
- After gaining root access, install a custom recovery image, like CWM recovery, on your Photon Q 4G; the stock recovery that comes installed on the Android based handsets can’t be used in our case.
- Be aware as the warranty will get void. All these are unofficial operations and that’s why you will lose your phone’s warranty.
- Don’t panic though, as the warranty can be replaced. In order to regain it you have to downgrade your smartphone to stock Android software – the root access will be revoked, the bootloader relocked and the factory restrictions reinstalled.
- Backup the Motorola Photon Q 4G data because when installing CM10.2 Android 4.3 a wipe is being required. With the wipe all of your personal info, accounts and data (such as contacts list, call logs, market apps and so on) which is saved on the internal storage memory will be erased.
- On rooted systems that are installed with CWM recovery you can also save the current ROM. So, take your time and make a Nandroid backup too.
- A computer, your handset and its official USB cable are also required – on the computer you will download the update file and then you will flash the same on your phone via CWM recovery.
- So, deactivate or uninstall the security programs from your computer and from your device – the antivirus programs for example might interfere with the download operation.
- Also, on your phone enable USB debugging option. If you don’t know from where, go to path: “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- Furthermore, charge your Motorola device as you don’t want to brick your smartphone (that will happen if your Photon 4G gets turned off while installing CM10.2).
- Finally, use this tutorial only for the Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE XT897 / XT897C. Even though CM10.2 Android 4.3 JB custom ROM is available for numerous Android based devices, this guide is compatible only with the mentioned handset.
How to Update Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE XT897/XT897C to Android 4.3 JB with CM10.2 Custom ROM Firmware
- Download the CM10.2 firmware file for the XT897 device from here and for the XT897C handset from here.
- Save the file on your computer and don’t unzip the package.
- Then, from here download the Google Apps package; again don’t unzip the file just save it on desktop.
- Connect your smartphone with the computer.
- Copy-paste the downloaded files from your computer to your phone’s SD card.
- Remove the USB cable.
- Now, turn off your Photon Q 4G.
- Reboot in recovery mode.
- From recovery mode the first thing to do is to wipe the system – remember to backup the data first; select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Return to main menu of recovery and choose “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the CM10.2 firmware file first and flash the same.
- Repeat the process and pick Google Apps package; install the same.
- Wait until the installation process ends.
- And then select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
Good job guys, you have successfully completed the tutorial. Now your Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE XT897 / XT897C should be running on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean custom OS as CM10.2 has been installed. Use the comments area from below for sharing your impressions and thoughts with us and stay close for more guides, tips and tricks.