As you might know Motorola released the OTA Android 4.4.2 KitKat update for the Razr HD; the firmware version number is 180.46.99.XT925.CEE with build ID KDA20.99. Unfortunately, the OTA is currently available only for the EU retail version of the Razr HD, so not all the users can receive the notification so far. But, thanks to those of xda-developers, who have managed to modify the official firmware, now all the Motorola RAZR HD XT925 users can manually install the stock / official Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS on their smartphones.
So, by using this step by step guide you will be able to learn how to manually update your Razr HD to stock KitKat software. The flashing process is quite complex, so you should read all the lines from below before applying anything on your device. BE sure that you are doing things just like explained within this tutorial, or else you can end up in damaging or bricking your handset. Don’t worry though, as you will be installing the official Android 4.4.2 OS (a modified version which is still similar with the OTA roll out) and not a custom ROM based on the stock firmware.
Therefore, by completing this guide you will not lose the warranty of your Motorola Razr HD. Furthermore, this tutorial is compatible with both rooted and locked devices and can be safely completed even by a newbie. The ROM is bringing all the stock Android KitKat features, apps and capabilities along with default KitKat looks. As mentioned, even though this is a modified OS, you are still flashing the stock / official Android 4.4.2 software on your Razr HD XT925.
Now, even though the official OS will be installed, before heading towards the update steps, first you have to take care of the pre requisites tasks which are being detailed during the following list. This is a manual update operation, so the installation procedure is more complex than the OTA (over the air) one. Don’t skip the list from below as it represents the most relevant section of this step by step guide.
- First of all, your Motorola Razr HD must have an unlocked bootloader or else you will not be able to complete the update operation.
- Then, the best will be to make a backup before doing anything else; since this is a manual procedure, while completing the same your data might get corrupted or even wiped out.
- Therefore, use compatible backup and restore tools and save everything that’s important for you, such as personal data, info and accounts and market apps, call logs, contacts list, internet settings or text messages.
- A computer is being required; also your phone and its USB cord will be used.
- On your computer the Razr HD drivers must be installed and the security software must be deactivated – only temporarily (the antivirus or antimalware programs might interfere with the flashing operation).
- Furthermore, on your PC Android SDK and Fastboot must be installed; you can learn how to do that by using our compatible tutorials: set up ADB on MAC OS X / Linux or install Android SDK on Windows.
- Your phone must be charged before heading to the update operation; plug in the charger especially if the battery power is less than 50% – if not your phone might get turned off in the middle of the installation process and it might also get bricked.
- On your Razr HD go to “menu – settings – developer options” and enable the USB debugging option.
- Do note that this step by step guide is compatible only with the Motorola Razr HD model number XT925 – use the steps from below for flashing official Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS only if you own the mentioned device or else you will damage your Android based device.
How to Update Motorola RAZR HD XT925 to Official Android 4.4.2 KitKat Firmware
- First of all download the required files on your computer: get the modified OS from here, get Philz Touch recovery from here and also download special 4.4 recovery from here.
- Now, connect your smartphone with your computer and place the update file to the root of your device’s SD card.
- Install ADB and Fastboot on your computer and then place the Philz touch recovery file on the same folder as Fastboot.
- Navigate to the Fastboot folder and from there open a command prompt window (press and hold shift key from your keyboard while right clicking on a blank space within the Fastboot folder).
- Turn off your Razr HD and then reboot your handset in bootloader mode.
- Connect your phone with your computer by plugging in the USB cord.
- In the cmd window type “fastboot flash recovery philz_touch_6.43.8-moto_msm8960.img” and press enter.
- Up next, reboot into recovery mode and from there just flash the modified update file which you have placed before on the root of your SD card.
- Place the special recovery file on the same folder as Fastboot.
- Then, from recovery mode go to bootloader mode once more.
- And on the cmd window, type “fastboot flash recovery xt926-KK-CWM-6048.img”.
- That’s all, now just reboot your device and enjoy Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS.
Good job; you have successfully flashed stock Android 4.4.2 KitKat update on your Motorola Razr HD XT925. Test the ROM and see how it performs on your device; if there are bugs or if something isn’t running as expected, don’t hesitate and share your thoughts with us and with other Android users by using the comments field from below and we will assist you as soon as possible.