How to Update Motorola Xoom with Nexus 7 based 4.1 Jelly Bean Custom ROM
The Motorola Xoom users can now enjoy the Jelly Bean flavor as thanks to those of xda-developers a new custom ROM firmware has just been made available. So, we will be checking in how to install this new OS update on your device, all being explained in a few easy to follow and complete steps. The ROM is being based on the Google Nexus 7 platform, meaning that you will be able to personalize your Xoom with new themes and background images along with a new Android 4.1.1 interface.
You must be aware though, as for updating the Motorola Xoom with the Nexus 7 based custom ROM you will have to apply a manual method, which is being considered risky. The present update isn’t coming from Motorola and has nothing to do with the mentioned company; furthermore, the firmware was developed and tested by third party devs, meaning that once you flash the same the tablet warranty will be void. Therefore, read carefully the next few lines and don’t skip any sections of this how to guide. More, the handset must be prepared for the installation procedure, so complete the pre requisites first.
As already stated, according to those of xda-developers, this OS update is being based on the Google Nexus 7 system and will install the Jelly Bean firmware on your Motorola Xoom device. You will receive important features that will power up the performances of your tablet and also you will be able to personalize the looks of the same. For now, here are the main capabilities included in the software, the ones that will be ported to your Xoom: framework.apk for specific device/rom combos (to be pushed to system), slim NavBar, StatBar (same dpi as Navbar symmetrical), CWM flashable ZIP and you can use the ZIP to change DPI.
Unfortunately, you cannot update your Xoom to Android 4.1.1 unless it has a rooted system. Being a custom ROM, the present firmware will require root access in order to work properly. Therefore you can’t OTA apply the Nexus 7 based OS on your tablet. Anyway, you should gain root access first; take note and be aware as by rooting, the warranty will get void. In case you will downgrade to the stock ROM, or update to an official release of the Android platform, you will be able to restore the warranty back. Furthermore, a custom recovery image must be flashed on your device as it will be used for the installation procedure (and for the backup and wipe operations too).
Yes, a backup is being required as well, because your data might get corrupted. Also, during the steps you will have to perform a full wipe of the system, so the data which is saved on the internal storage memory will be erased. Some backup tips are being displayed below along with other pre requisites which must be completed if you want to ensure that everything will be fine (don’t skip this part as it is the most relevant one).
- Backup the current ROM (you can easily restore it if something wrong happens) by using a custom recovery image (like CWM recovery).
- Then, backup the text messages by downloading SMS backup and restore apps.
- Sync with Google and use the Android cloud for saving contacts and so on.
- Save Internet settings.
- Use a computer for backing up other files like images or videos.
- Remember to root the system.
- You will have to use a Windows running computer. On the same and on the tablet deactivate / uninstall the security tools like antivirus, Firewall protection and so on.
- Next, enable the USB debugging option from your Xoom.
- And, finally, charge its battery or at least make sure that there is more than 60% power left.
Those were the pre requisites, meaning that now you are ready for the proper steps. But, first be sure that you are applying this tutorial only for the WiFi + 3G model of the Motorola Xoom and not for similar devices as you can end up in bricking them. Further guides will be developed in the coming days or weeks, so stay close.
How to Update Motorola Xoom with Nexus 7 based Jelly Bean Custom ROM
- Download the update file by using the lick from here.
- Save the file to the computer.
- Use the Xoom USB cord for connecting the tablet with the PC.
- Then, select the downloaded file and copy-paste it from the PC to your device.
- Remove the USB cable and disconnect the handset.
- Turn it off.
- Enter in recovery mode.
- For recovery mode: press and hold Volume Down button when the Motorola Logo is shown when the device is booted normally.
- Once in recovery mode, from its menu select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Return to recovery by choosing “+++go back+++”.
- Now, select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Select the update file you downloaded before.
- Install it.
- In the end select “+++go back+++” followed by “reboot system now”.
That was all; the how to procedure ends here as now your Motorola Xoom is updated to the Google Nexus 7 based Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean custom ROM firmware. Do tell us if there were problems while trying to apply the above explained steps and share your impressions and opinions with us, the ones related to the new OS which is running on your tablet. If you don’t like the software, then you can check out on our how to section for more Xoom tutorials and choose the one that suits with your demands.