The Google Nexus 7 devices can now be updated with a new and more stable custom ROM firmware as those of xda-developers made available the CM10 based Glazed software. This update will bring the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 OS on your tablet, so if you are looking forward in testing the latest Android flavor along with some extra features and capabilities, then this tutorial is perfect for you. We will be checking in how to install the CM10 Glazed custom ROM on your Asus Nexus 7 but only after applying the pre requisites, which of course I have detailed below.
This is not an official upgrade provided by Asus for your Google Nexus 7 therefore you need to prepare your tablet for the installation procedure. As mentioned, the Glazed custom ROM brings the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 platform along with some of the CM10 features, so we are dealing with a powerful update that can easily improve the performances of your device. This step by step guide will show you how to manually flash the ROM on the Nexus 7, so all the info needed can be checked during the following lines. But first, here are some of the features and capabilities that are being included into the CM10 based Glazed firmware:
If you have decided to go further with this tutorial, then here is what you need to do; I will detail the preparation tasks, so you mustn’t skip this section as it is the most relevant one. If you do skip it and head straight to the proper steps from below, then you will risk in bricking your Nexus 7 tablet. Therefore, be careful in what you do and always follow my directions, don’t perform things by yourselves.
- First of all I recommend you to backup the data which is being saved on your device.
- You can use SMS backup and restore tools for saving the text messages.
- You can sync with Google for backing up the contacts and more.
- Save the internet setting and use a computer for saving files like images or videos.
- If your Nexus 7 is running a custom recovery image, then you can use the same for backing up the current ROM.
- As soon as you end the backup, you should go and root the Asus Nexus 7. Without rooting you will not be able to install the CM10 based Jelly Bean 4.1.2 Glazed Custom ROM. Also, as a final note, be aware as by rooting the warranty gets void and the only way available for restoring it is by making a downgrade, or by updating with an official OS provided by Asus and suitable with your tablet.
- After unchaining the system, you should also install a custom recovery image, such as CWM recovery, on your handset. This tool will be used for applying the update, so it’s extremely important to get CWM recovery.
- Now, a computer or notebook should be near you. On the same as well as for your Nexus, there shouldn’t be installed any security programs, so deactivate the antivirus and Firewall protection.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your handset and charge its battery or else it might get turned off in the middle of the operation.
- Install the CM10 Glazed Android 4.1.2 update only for the Google Nexus 7 and not on similar devices as you can end up in bricking your gadget.
So, now you know everything about the present update and not to mention that your handset has been prepared for the proper update procedure. This means that you can finally head to the next section of this tutorial:
How to Update Nexus 7 with CM10 based Jelly Bean 4.1.2 Glazed Custom ROM Firmware
- Download the update file by using the link from here.
- Remember to save the file on your computer.
- Then, you can copy this file to your Nexus 7; of course first connect your handset with the computer via USB cord.
- Up next, unplug the USB cord and turn off the tablet.
- Reboot by pressing and holding the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons until the Android loge shows up. Then, use Volume Down and select recovery and then press the Power button for entering in CWM recovery mode.
- Select “wipe cache partition”.
- Also select “wipe data factory reset”.
- Return to the main menu and select “Advance -> Wipe Dalvik cache”.
- Return to recovery.
- Select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the downloaded update file.
- Flash the same.
- When the installation procedure is over from recovery select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
Finally, the update operation is over. You have succeeded in installing the CM10 based Jelly Bean 4.1.2 Glazed Custom ROM Firmware on your Google Nexus 7, so now your tablet is being powered by a stable, fast and smooth OS. Test the features and see if everything is working as expected. If not, share the issues with us and with other users by using the comments area from below.