The ASUS Nexus 7 has just received a new custom ROM that is named Slim Bean and, it is based on the Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean. Use the instructions that I have listed in this article and you will learn how to correctly update your device using CWM Recovery image.
This release of Slim Bean 4.1.1 is destined exclusively for Nexus 7 tablet and it is a lightweight release, it doesn’t pack any bloatware, it measures only a little over 80MB and it is the stock Jelly Bean ROM with several tweaked functions and some other added features.
Before you can begin to install this ROM, you should first read the preparation guide below and learn how to correctly configure your tablet so that you won’t hit any roadblocks during the updating process. Here’s what you need to know:
- install this new ROM only on the Google / ASUS Nexus 7 tablet. It won’t work for any other devices and you shouldn’t attempt to flash it on them.
- The Nexus 7 you are about to update with SLIM Bean custom ROM should be on an unlocked bootloader and rooted. Click the link to unlock bootloader, root and install CWM Recovery image. If your device meets all these requirements you can skip this step.
- Backup the APN Internet Settings and installed apps as a list using the following applications for Android: AppBAK for Android apps backup | APN Settings Backup & Restore. These apps are only working with rooted devices.
- Important data files can be moved on your tablet’s internal SD card. This part won’t be changed during the update.
- Enable USB debugging option from your Developer settings menu.
- Make sure that your tablet’s battery is charged so that it won’t power OFF while you’re installing the Slim Bean ROM files.
- It would be better if you’d backup the existing ROM so that in case this new SLIM BEAN ROM doesn’t work, you will be able to restore the working one.
- You cannot blame us in case your device gets bricked and you should only install this new ROM only at your own risk. Make sure that you know what you’re about to install and that you’re 100% sure that you have backed up your important files.
Read the tutorial guide and after you’re sure that you know what you have to do, you can begin to apply the instructions that I’ve listed below. In case you cannot complete the installation, then you should post in comments and we will help you complete the update and install Slim Bean custom ROM on your tablet.
How to install Slim Bean custom Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean ROM on your Nexus 7 tablet
- Download these two files – grouper.zip and common_2.*.zip. Click the files’ names and then click the download link.
- When the downloads of both processes are complete you should connect your tablet to your PC. Move both files on its internal SD card without extract the archived contents of the zips.
- Disconnect the Nexus 7 from your PC. Power off the tablet and then boot it into CWM Recovery mode by pressing ‘volume up’ + ‘volume down’ + ‘power’ buttons at the same time.
- When you’re in ClockworkMod Recovery you can create a backup of the existing ROM using the ‘backup and restore’ option. In case you already have created a backup before moving to the tutorial, then you can skip this step.
- Now select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm that you want to delete the data.
- After the data is deleted you have to select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and from the next menu select ‘choose zip from internal sdcard’. Find the ‘grouper.zip’ file nad confirm that you want to install it. NOTE: In case the grouper.zip install too quickly ( in under 5 seconds), you will have to repeat this step and only after that continue to the next step.
- Next, select again the ‘choose zip from internal sdcard’ and this time find the ‘common_2.zip’ file and install it. When this action is complete you should return to the main recovery menu.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ after SLIM Bean has been installed.
- Now your tablet will start the first boot process with the new custom ROM and this might take at least 5 minutes to complete.
- After the first boot process is complete you should enter your Google Account and start testing this new ROM.
If the first boot process takes too long to complete, something like 15 minutes or more, then you should power off the tablet and then repeat the entire tutorial starting with step 3. If everything went according to plan you can customize and personalize the new installation.
If you want to install some add-ons such as Google Now or Face Unlock, you should use the instructions below:
- Download Google Now and / or Face Unlock zip files from HERE.
- Move both these files on your Nexus 7 internal SD card.
- Power off the tablet and put it into CWM Recovery mode.
- Select the option that says ‘install zip from sdcard’ and from the next screen select ‘choose zip from internal sdcard’.
- Find the Google Now zip file and confirm that you want to install it. Repeat the same procedure for the Face Unlock zip.
- Return to the main clockworkmod recovery screen and select ‘reboot system’ option.
- Wait for the tablet to boot normally and now you can use Google Now and the Face Unlock features.
These are all the steps that you needed in order to correctly set up Slim Bean Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean custom ROM on your Google / ASUS Nexus 7 tablet. Make sure that in case you have other questions, you will post them in our comments section, at the end of this post.