OnePlus 3T can be officially updated to Android 8.0 Oreo OS. And this time we are not talking about the Oreo Beta program but about the official OTA release. Yes, if you didn’t know, the new Oxygen OS 5.0 ROM is official and available for the OnePlus 3T.
However, if the Android notification is nowhere to find, you can skip the usual OTA wait by flashing the firmware manually. And that’s exactly what we will be doing during this tutorial – describing the manual update operation that’s compatible with your OnePlus 3T.
As usually, an ‘over the air’ roll out is offered gradually or in phases. Shortly, some users will receive the update sooner than others. Also, only the devices that are already running on stock Android and which aren’t rooted can receive the Android notification. Therefore, you can receive the Android 8.0 Oreo based Oxygen OS 5.0 ROM on your OnePlus 3T only in certain conditions. Well, if you want to test the new firmware right away, you can just apply the steps from below.
This tutorial is describing and detailing two different ways in which the new OTA can be manually installed on the OnePlus 3T. Both processes are official ways in which an OTA can be flashed on your phone; thus you will keep everything safe and secured – you won’t lose your phone’s warranty (that happens only when a custom ROM is used) and you won’t have to use risky programs for completing the installation process.
The Oxygen OS 5.0 update is the fully stable Android 8.0 Oreo firmware that’s now available for the OnePlus 3T. Shortly, you can use this software on a daily basis without worrying about soft related problems such as boot loops, lags, hangs, bugs, screen freeze, battery drain or similar other issues.
A backup is recommended especially if you want to use the second update solution that’s indicated below. In that case a hard reset will be initiated, which means that the data that’s stored on your smartphone will be wiped out. Therefore, for securing your personal, data, info, accounts and files you should use your favorite backup and restore tools – sync your data with your Google Account, use built-in backup services or use cloud storage platforms available on Google Play. Additionally, if you can use a custom recovery image consider in initiating a Nandroid backup – that process will save the current Android OS that runs on your OnePlus 3T.
A computer will be required for the processes described below. There you will have to download the Android 8.0 Oreo featured Oxygen OS 5.0 firmware package. On your OnePlus 3T you have to become a Developer as afterwards you need to check the USB Debugging field: first, go to Settings – About Phone and tap repeatedly on Built Number until you receive the ‘you are a developer’ message; then, from ‘menu – > settings – > developer options’ find and check the USB Debugging field.
You should start the steps from this guide only after charging your OnePlus 3T. This is an important part of the update process because if your phone will get switched off while the Android 8.0 Oreo system is applied you can end up in soft bricking your device. And the only way to avoid such unpleasant situation will be by ensuring more than 50% power on your phone – if the power that’s left is currently lower than the already mentioned threshold, don’t hesitate and plug in the charger before doing anything else.
Don’t forget that the Oxygen OS 5.0 firmware package indicated during the following lines is compatible only with the OnePlus 3T. Don’t follow this tutorial if you are using any other Android based device as you will only manage to mess things up – for the OnePlus 3 you need to use this steo by step update guide instead.
How to Manually Update OnePlus 3T to Android 8.0 Oreo via Official Oxygen OS 5.0 OTA
- Open your computer and access this page. From there download the OTA for your OnePlus 3T.
- Switch on your phone and then connect it with your computer – just plug in its USB cable.
- Transfer the downloaded update package on your smartphone – place it in the root of the internal storage partition.
- Remove the USB cable when the copy-paste process is completed.
- Then, on your phone go to Menu – > Settings – > System Updates.
- Next, tap on the button located on the top-right corner – it’s the 3-dot icon.
- Choose Local Update from the next window and load the Android 8.0 Oreo firmware.
- And finally, tap on Upgrade now when asked.
- The update operation will automatically start.
- Wait while the process is running and in the end initiate a reboot.
- Download the update package – use the link provided above.
- Save the update file on your computer – you can save it on desktop.
- Switch off your smartphone.
- Wait while the shut down operation is completed; then reboot recovery mode on your OnePlus 3T.
- From recovery make a full wipe by choosing ‘wipe data factory reset’ and ‘wipe cache partition’.
- When the wipe is done, reboot your device into Android Mode.
- Now, connect your smartphone with your computer with the help of the USB cable.
- Transfer the Android 8.0 Oreo package on your smartphone and afterwards unplug the USB cable.
- Next, reboot recovery mode again.
- From recovery tap on Install and pick up the Oxygen OS 5.0 software package.
- Swipe and wait while the update operation is completed.
- When done, from main menu of recovery choose ‘reboot’.
- Excellent; that’s all.
Good job; the Android 8.0 Oreo featured Oxygen OS 5.0 firmware should now boot on your OnePlus 3T. Go ahead and test it; if something isn’t running properly, share your observations through the comments field available below. Also, stay close for further update opportunities available for your OnePlus 3T – don’t forget that you can anytime spice things up by learning how to tweak your device through dedicated tutorials (in that respect you can already gain root access, install a custom recovery image or update with a custom ROM firmware).