Even though the Samsung Captivate will not receive the official Android 4.2 Jelly Bean update due to hardware limitations (the phone was first release in May 2010 so its specs are a little bit outdated) its users can still test and enjoy the latest Jelly Bean flavor and all thanks to the custom ROMs platforms that are being made available. So, today I will be teaching you in how to update the Samsung Captivate to Android 4.2 by installing a custom software into its system. The firmware is being based on the CM10 ROM, though you will not install the stable version of the same, the OS being in the preview stage of development.
The preview build means that the ROM is not quite ready; there are some bugs and issues so you will not install a stable OS that smoothly works on your Samsung Galaxy S Captivate. According to our sources, the present version of the Android 4.2 Jelly Bean update has the following bugs:
- The WiFi is not working for some users of the Captivate.
- Sim Toolkit (STK) isn’t working at all.
- Bluetooth is not working, but I have showed you a method from which you can learn how to fix it (you have the procedure explained during the proper guide).
The rest of the features and capabilities are working perfectly so you have nothing to worry about. Furthermore, new versions of the present ROM will be made available by those of xda-developers (and the above mentioned bugs will be resolved) therefore you should temporarily check for improvements and updates.
Be aware as this is not an official update released by Samsung for your Galaxy S Captivate. As already stated due to hardware limitation your phone will not receive the Jelly Bean 4.2 OTA update so installing an Android 4.2 based custom ROM is what you need to do. The software presented in this tutorial is being powered by the CM10 platform meaning that features imported from the CM ROM will be added to your Captivate. Also, remember that this is the preview build of the firmware which means that not all the features are working as it should.
Of course and as usual, before learning how to flash a custom ROM update on your smartphone, you must first learn how to prepare your device for the installation procedure that will follow. That’s why, before heading to the steps presented below, you must first take care of the next list. Read it and then complete the tasks mentioned or else you will not be able to safely update your Samsung Captivate to Android 4.2 Jelly Bean OS.
- Root the Captivate because the ROM will require access to some internal files. The access can be granted only by gaining root access, so take care of this operation.
- The warranty will get void so root the phone only by following a suitable step by step guide that can be applied for your Captivate, or else you will end up in bricking your handset.
- You can restore the warranty by downgrading to the stock ROM.
- Next, install CWM recovery, or any other custom recovery image, on your device as this tool will be used for wiping the data and for installing the Android 4.2 CM10 based ROM.
- Yes, a wipe is required meaning that a backup must also be completed.
- Take your time and perform a full backup: save the contacts, messages, call logs, internet settings, EFS and even the current ROM.
- A computer is being required as you need to download some files.
- On the computer you will use and on your Galaxy S Captivate deactivate the security protection first.
- On your handset enable the USB debugging option.
- If there is less than 60% power left, go and charge the battery before starting the update operation; else the phone might get turned off and also get bricked.
- This tutorial will work only for the Samsung Captivate so don’t try to apply the same for a similar Android based device.
How to Update Samsung Captivate to Android 4.2 Preview build
- Download the update file from here.
- Download the Google Apps (download link here) as the package is not included in the update file.
- Download this package for fixing the Bluetooth problem.
- Save the files on your computer.
- Then, connect the device with the PC by using its USB cable and copy-paste the downloaded files from the PC to the phone’s SD card.
- Remove the USB cable as we don’t need to use the computer anymore.
- Now, turn off the handset.
- The recovery mode must be reached; for that press and hold the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons while powering on the Captivate.
- The first thing to do from recovery is to wipe the data.
- For the wipe you should select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Then, also from the recovery menu select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card.
- Pick the update file and install the same.
- Repeat the process for installing the Google Apps package too.
- As a final note, for fixing the Bluetooth issue also flash the add-on package downloaded before.
- When all the files are being successfully installed, you must select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
And with that you are finally done. That was the how to procedure from which you could learn how to easily update the Samsung Captivate to Android 4.2 Jelly Bean OS. Test the new firmware and see how it performs on your device. Share the possible problems with other users and of course with us and do tell how things worked with the steps explained above.