Update Samsung Epic 4G to Android 4.2 Jelly Bean with CM 10.1 Custom ROM
Even though the Samsung Epic 4G will no longer receive official updates, you can still improve the performances of your Android based QWERTY slider by installing the CM 10.1 Custom ROM firmware into its system. The Epic 4G is a mid-range smartphone, with let’s say outdated specs, but that’s not necessary a reason for changing your phone with a new and expensive one. At least not for now, because there are still ways from which you can learn how to power up the performances of your device. That’s why you should apply this tutorial for updating your Samsung Epic 4G to latest Android OS, the Jelly Bean 4.2 one, with the CM 10.1 custom software.
By flashing the CM 10.1 OS on your Epic 4G you will be able to get and install the latest Android features along with many other tools, apps and capabilities that cannot be found in the stock version of the Android system. Furthermore, from now on you will be using a custom ROM, that is offering a personalized theme (not the classic Android one) and numerous customization and optimization possibilities. Therefore, after updating the Samsung Epic 4G to CM10.1 Android 4.2 Jelly Bean firmware, you will notice that the speeds were improved, the battery life upgraded and the performances optimized.
Now, this version of the CM 10.1 update is not the official one. The software isn’t provided by the CM team therefore there might be some minor bugs into the system (according to our sources, there are reported issues with the Bluetooth capabilities) but you shouldn’t worry as these problems will be resolved by the devs in the shortest time possible. Furthermore, the same is not an official Android 4.2 Jelly Bean OS released by Samsung for your Epic 4G, meaning that the CM 10.1 platform has nothing to do with the already mentioned company.
Before applying the software on your phone, you will first have to prepare the device for the installation procedure that will shortly follow. Be aware as this is being considered a risky method and we shouldn’t be held responsible in case something wrong is happening with your QWERTY slider smartphone. Anyway, if you read all the lines from below and if you complete the same as explained, there shouldn’t be any kinds of problems. As mentioned, you should start the tutorial by performing the pre requisites; you have the same detailed below.
- Backup the Samsung Epic 4G data. Start with the contacts, messages, maybe call logs and then take care of the EFS and of the current ROM. You should apply a Nandroid backup if you think that you might change your mind, or if you will want, or need to restore the stock firmware on your phone.
- This is an unofficial software available for your smartphone. Therefore by installing the CM 10.1 Jelly Bean 4.2 custom Rom on your Epic 4G, you will lose the warranty.
- You can restore the warranty as soon as the flash counter is reset; for that you need to downgrade to the stock (official) firmware. That’s why it is important to make the Nandroid backup.
- Root the Epic 4G before going any further.
- Install a custom recovery image, such as CWM recovery on your handset. You can’t complete this guide unless you apply these steps, so don’t skip anything.
- The update file will have to be downloaded on a computer first. So, make sure you can use one; then on the computer and on your smartphone deactivate or uninstall all the security programs, like Firewall and antivirus.
- In order to properly connect the handset with the PC, the USB debugging option should be enabled on your phone.
- Then, check the battery status: if there is less than 60% power left you must charge the battery; if different you can skip this part.
- Do not use this step by step guide for installing the CM10.1 custom ROM firmware on phone similar with the Samsung Epic 4G. This tutorial is being suitable only with the mentioned device.
How to Update Samsung Epic 4G to Android 4.2 Jelly Bean with CM 10.1 Custom ROM Firmware
- Download the update file from here (that is also the link for our source page, so for more info about this procedure check the same).
- Download the Google Apps package from here.
- Save the files on your computer.
- Connect the phone with the PC and then copy-paste (drag and drop) the downloaded files to your phone’s SD card.
- Remove the USB cable.
- Turn off the Epic 4G.
- Enter recovery mode: press and hold the Volume Down, Camera and Power buttons together.
- From recovery first select “wipe data factory reset” and then “wipe cache partition”.
- Return to the main window by selecting “+++go back+++”.
- Then, choose “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- Select and pick the update file from the SD card and flash the same for installing the CM 10.1 Android 4.2 OS on your QWERTY slider Epic 4G.
- Then, do the same for flashing the Google apps package.
- When the installation procedure ends, select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- If the first boot takes longer than usual, don’t panic, there is nothing wrong with your handset.
Well now your Samsung Epic 4G is running the latest Android OS, the Jelly Bean 4.2 one. The CM 10.1 custom ROM firmware has been installed on your smartphone, so test the same and see how the new software is performing. Feel free to share your opinions and thoughts with us (related to this tutorial) by using the comments area from below. Also, stay close if you want to receive the latest news and Android related guides, trick and tips.