Update Samsung Epic 4G Touch to Official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OS
The Sprint users of the Samsung Galaxy S2 are the first to update their handsets to official Jelly Bean software in US, as Samsung and Sprint just released the Android 4.1.2 firmware. As you know, the update hasn’t been OTA launched due to its large size (this is a major OS improvement), so you can get the Jelly Bean ROM for your Samsung Epic 4G Touch only by using KIES. Of course, you can anytime choose to perform a manual update operation instead, the same being explained and detailed during the present step by step guide.
This update comes with all the latest features and capabilities available for the Android system, so your Epic 4G Touch will get Project Butter enhancements, Google Now, enhanced notifications, improved browser performance, resizable widgets, offline voice typing and lot more. Furthermore, the platform is stable and will smoothly run on your Sprint Galaxy S2 as after all we are dealing with stock / official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OS. Therefore, this tutorial is an official one even though you will not use KIES for applying the firmware on your phone, but more aspects about this can be checked below.
As I have already mentioned, the Jelly Bean ROM hasn’t been OTA rolled out because this is a major update and the better will be to get and apply it by using the KIES tool. Well, if you haven’t received the firmware until now, or if you need to manually flash it on your Epic 4G Touch, then this tutorial will be perfect for you. In order to install the Android 4.1.2 software on your handset we will use Odin, which is a dedicated program designed and used especially for these types of operations. Of course, you will have to previously prepare your device and apply the pre requisites, this being the only way possible in which we can be sure that all will go as planned.
So, the first thing to do is to make sure that your personal data is in safe hands. If during the update process Odin gets stuck, or if in the end you will get a boot loop, then you will have to make a system wipe. Therefore, begin this step by step guide with a backup operation. It will be a good idea to save at least the contacts list, text messages, personal info, markets apps and EFS folder. If you have a rooted device, then you can also make a Nandroid backup for saving the current ROM too.
Now, here is what you should know about the root access: in case your Samsung Epic 4G Touch is currently rooted, after completing this guide, the root access will be revoked. More, gaining root access isn’t required for the flashing procedure because we are applying the official Android Jelly Bean firmware and not a custom ROM. Don’t worry though, as you can easily root the new OS, but only by following a suitable tutorial; or choose between a general root guide and a one-click root solution available for several Samsung branded devices.
Since you will have to use Odin, a Windows running computer with internet connection enabled, your Sprint galaxy S2 and its USB cord should be near you. Then, before going any further, uninstall the antivirus and any other security programs that are running on both computer and Epic 4G Touch; else the update process might be interrupted by the same. Next, you should check the battery status of your smartphone: in case there is less than 60% power left, you should plug in the charger, or else your phone might get turned off while you are trying to install the Jelly Bean software. Finally, enable the USB debugging option on your handset by going to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
Don’t forget that this step by step guide can be applied only for the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S2, which is the Samsung Epic 4G Touch. The steps from below are compatible only with the mentioned smartphone so don’t use the same for flashing the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 firmware on a similar device because you can end up in bricking your phone.
How to Update Samsung Epic 4G Touch to Official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OS
- On your computer you will have to download the following: Samsung KIES, Odin and the update file – you can get the firmware from here, or from here.
- First install Samsung KIES and flash the proper drivers for your Epic 4G Touch.
- Then, extract and install Odin.
- Next, extract the update file on your computer.
- Open Odin on the PC.
- Now turn off your phone as download mode must be entered: reboot by pressing and holding the Power and Volume Down buttons at the same time.
- Connect your device with the computer via USB cable.
- On Odin now the ID:COM section should be yellow or blue and the “added” message should be displayed.
- If different, close Odin, reinstall the drivers and repeat the steps from above.
- Up next, from Odin select “PDA” and pick the update file from your computer.
- Don’t make any other changes on Odin; the Re-partition box shouldn’t be selected.
- Click on “start”.
- Wait while the flashing procedure is running.
- In the end, the “pass” message will be displayed.
- You can remove the USB cable and reboot your smartphone.
If Odin gets stuck, you need to follow:
- Close Odin.
- Unplug the USB cable.
- Reinstall the drivers on the computer.
- Open Odin.
- Force restart your device.
- Connect the phone with the computer and repeat the update process from above.
In case in the end, you will get a boot loop, you will have to:
- Reboot into recovery mode.
- You can access recovery mode by rebooting your device while pressing and holding the Power and Volume Up buttons at the same time.
- From recovery select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Then choose “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
So, that was all for now. That was the step by step guide that can be used by those who need to manually update their Samsung Epic 4G Touch to official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OS. Test the software, see how it performs on your Sprint Galaxy S2 and then return here and share your impressions with us or with other users who might want to apply the Jelly Bean firmware on their devices.