CyanogenMod team has started to work on their 10th installment and now they managed to release a working and official nightly build of the CM10 for the Samsung Epic 4G Touch smartphone. Use the info I’ve listed in this article and you will learn how to successfully flash all CM10 custom ROM files right on your smartphone without too much trouble.
This is a CM10 release that it is based on the Jelly Bean 4.1 and you should continue reading this guide only if you’re an advanced Android user. In order to install this new custom CM10 nightly ROM you will first need to read the preparation guide info. Below you can find all the steps that you need to take before starting to apply any changes to your phone.
CM10 Nightly is an early ROM, but it will still install Google Now, the Jelly Bean smart keyboard, better camera and gallery apps, the butter UI, better and expandable notifications. Now that you’ve read all this, I think that you should move to the preparation guide below. Make sure that you understand and you apply all the instructions listed below before moving to the tutorial guide. Here’s what you need to do:
- Install this CM10 Nightly build release only on the Samsung Epic 4G Touch smartphone and do not attempt to flash the files on any other phone as you will end up bricking that one. Check your phone’s model number by opening Settings and then check the info listed under the ‘About device’ menu.
- Install this update only on devices that are rooted and running CWM Recovery image. Also, you phone should be unlocked.
- Create a full backup of the existing ROM before installing the CM10 Nightly.
- Applications, SMS, Call Logs and APN Internet Settings using the following tools for Android devices: AppBAK for Android apps backup | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Note that these apps require root apps.
- Sync all your Phone Contacts with your Gmail account.
- Enable the USB debugging option from your Settings > Development menu.
- Charge your phone’s battery until the power level is over 50%. This will prevent the device from powering OFF during the installation of this new ROM.
- Note that this guide should be applied by advanced Android users. We cannot be blamed in case you damage your phone in the installation process.
- This is a custom ROM and it might have some bugs and errors and if you find some of these problems, then you should tell us in comments.
- Also, if you have any other questions then you should post them at the end of this article.
Now that you know all this of the above, you should move to the next part of this post. Make sure that you don’t skip any of the steps that I’ve listed in the tutorial. In case you hit any roadblocks or you cannot complete the install, then you should ask for more help in comments.
How to update Samsung Epic 4G Touch to CM10 Nightly Jelly Bean 4.1 custom ROM
- Download the custom ROM zip file from HERE. Save the file on your PC desktop and don’t extract its contents.
- Download the Google apps for Jelly Bean from HERE. Save it on your PC. Do not extract the files comprised within the zip.
- Copy the custom ROM and Google apps zip files on your device’s internal SD card. After the files are copied, you should disconnect the device from your PC. Power off the Epic 4G Touch smartphone.
- When the phone powers off completely, you can boot into CWM Recovery mode. It can be done by pressing and holding ‘volume down’ + ‘camera’ + ‘power’ buttons. All need to be pressed at the same time. When the ClockworkMod recovery loads, you will have to use the volume keys to navigate through options, Camera button to select the option you wish to apply and the ‘back’ key to return to the previous menu.
- First thing that you need to select from the CWM Recovery menu, is the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm this action and after that you should move to the next step.
- Next, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and after that you should select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CM10 ROM zip and install it.
- After the ROM is successfully installed you should repeat step 6 and this time you need to install the ‘Gapps jb’ file.
- When both the Cm10 Jelly Bean and Google Apps files are successfully installed, you should return to the main recovery menu and select ‘reboot system now’.
- Wait for your device to boot successfully into normal mode. Note that your phone will perform its first boot with this new OS and you should allow it at least 5 minutes to complete the process. This will happen only this time and the next boots will complete in 15 seconds.
- Enter your Google Account details and then start testing the new Jelly Bean 4.1 and CM10 features.
Now your device should be updated. If you like this CM10 Nightly release and you wish to keep your phone updated, then you should keep an eye on this web page HERE, as almost daily, there are new Nightly build of CM10 released and you simply download a single file, put the file on your phone’s internal sdcard and then reboot into CWM Recovery and flash the update like this:
- Enter CWM recovery and first select ‘wipe cache’. Confirm.
- Next, select ‘advanced’ and then select ‘wipe dalvik cache’. Confirm.
- Now return to the main recovery menu and select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and from the next menu select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CM10 Nightly zip and install it.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and then for the Epic 4G Touch phone to restart successfully.
- That’s it, you have updated your phone to a new CM10 build. Note that you don’t need to wipe data/ factory reset, but this works only if you’re coming from a previous installment of CM10.
I think that these are all the instructions that you needed to read and apply. Now your device is updated to the latest CM10 Nightly ROM. If you have any extra questions, then you should post them in the comments field and we will get back to you.