Update Samsung Exhibit 2 4G T679 to Unofficial CM9 Beta ROM
The Samsung Exhibit 2 4G can now be updated with an unofficial build of CM9 beta ROM and it can be done by reading the instructions I’ve listed in this article.
There aren’t too many custom ROM’s for T679 model number of Exhibit 2 4G device and because of jocala and Arco68, two xda developers, now you can install a new ROM on your device. This CM9 build is a beta and it isn’t official, but it still works and if you’re an advanced user then you should really give it a try and see how it performs on your device.
It has been confirmed that the Phone, Wi-Fi, SMS and MMS, GPS, bluetooth Google Play Store, Gmail, Youtube and multiple other services are working correctly. Also, T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling works. The USB tethering, Bluetooth audio and camera aren’t working for the moment. The CyanogenMod9 views the UMTS as 4G, while the stock Exhibit 2 ROM labeled it as 4G, which means that even if you see the 3G then your device’s speed should still be the one from the stock ROM.
In order to install the unofficial CM9 beta ROM, your phone should be already rooted and CWM Recovery is installed. Before we can start to apply the new ROM files, you will have to read the preparation guide where you’ll find several apps to backup your important files, contacts, sms, call logs and APN Settings. Also, first you will have to wipe data and factory reset; more info is listed in the tutorial guide. Future updates of the same ROM won’t require ‘factory reset’ process, but only if you apply them on the CM9 beta ROM firmware such as the one you’re currently installing on your Exhibit 2 4G device.
Here’s what you need to take into consideration before moving to the how-to guide:
- CM9 beta ROM can be installed only on rooted devices with CWM Recovery installed.
- Before applying the update you will need to wipe all data and that’s why you should backup all the files you consider to be important that you don’t want to lose. You can transfer these files on your phone’s internal sdcard. Alternatively you can move them on your computer and restore all back on your Exhibit 2 4G device after you complete the installation of CM9 unofficial beta ROM.
- Applications that are currently installed on your phone can easily be backed up using the AppBak for Android.
- Call Logs, SMS and APN Settings can be saved using these corresponding applications: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Backup & Restore.
- Sync your stored Contacts with your Gmail account.
- Enable USB Debugging and make sure that the power levels of your phone’s batter is over 70%.
I think that these were all the general guidelines you had to read before moving to the tutorial guide. Please note that neither Android.gs not the developers of this unofficial ROM are to be considered responsible if your device gets damaged in the process of ROM update. Use the comments section to post all your questions and we will try to help you complete the installation successfully.
How to update Samsung Exhibit 2 4G T679 to Unofficial CM9 Beta ICS ROM:
- Download the ROM zip file from here. Do not extract its files.
- Download Gapps zip package from here. This one has to be installed after the ROM and it will install Google Play Store, Gmail, Gtalk, Calendar and other Google-based apps. Make sure to download the latest version of Gapps, the one for CM9 ROM.
- Move both files downloaded at steps 1 and 2 on your devices internal sdcard.
- Power off the Exhibit 2 4G and disconnect from your computer.
- Boot into Custom Recovery mode. This can be done by pressing and holding ‘volume up’ button and while doing this you need to press and hold Power.
- When in custom recovery main screen you will have to perform a ROMwipe. Complete this process and move to the next step.
- Now, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and from the next recovery menu select ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- Find the CM9 beta ROM and select it for installation. Complete this process and then use the same actions to flash the Gapps zip.
- After you’ve installed the CM9 ROM and Gapps on your Exhibit 2 4G you will need to return to the main custom recovery screen. Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait for the first boot to complete.
In case your phone gets stuck during the first boot process, then you will have to power off the device and repeat the entire tutorial guide. Also, the Gapps package doesn’t contain all Google applications and if the ones you wish to use weren’t installed then you will have to go to Google Play Store and install them from there.
Remember to post your questions and concerns in this article’s comments section and we will try to help you finish the update to CyanogenMod 9 beta unofficial build for your Samsung Exhibit 2 4G T679 phone.