Update Samsung Galaxy GIO using the CM9 Android 4.0 ICS Beta 5 Firmware
The CM9 beta 5 build has been released a few days ago and here you can find instructions on how to successfully apply it on your Samsung Galaxy GIO. Using the tutorial guide listed here you will manage to root your phone and install the custom Android 4.0 ICS ROM firmware on your device fast and easy.
Before starting the update you need to know that this isn’t an official firmware released by Samsung Electronics but a custom ROM created by independent developers and it might have some bugs or errors. Also, by applying the steps listed here you will void the warranty of your device and in order to restore it you will need to install again its stock firmware. With this beta 5 release of the CM9 your device you will manage to give a new feel to your Galaxy GIO and all normal stock features are incoluded along with improved: wifi, bluetooth, gps, new Google Play Store, web browser, all sensors included, Facebook sync, Gmail, ICS keyboard, YouTube etc.
Also, for the installation of this new root you need to be accustomed with the rooting process and how to work in recovery mode. We cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your damage during the updating process. Here’s what you need to know before moving to the first step of the tutorial guide:
- make sure to create a backup for all the data currently stored on your Galaxy GIO so that you won’t lose any file during the firmware update process.
- save the APN and MMS settings so that after the update is complete you will be able to browse the web. These settings can be found by opening Settings, then Applications and open Wireless and Network and after that select Mobile Networks, where you will find the Access Point Names.
- the battery charge level should be over 70% so that it won’t discharge in the middle of the the firmware updae.
- uninstall / disable all the antivirus and firewall applications. This will prevent any unwanted software from interfering with your actions.
- the device has to have been already rooted with the same CM firmware.
- make sure that you have the CWM app installed.
Now that you know all this, you can begin to install the CM9 Android 4.0 ICS beta 5 custom ROM on your Samsung Galaxy GIO device. Here’s how to do it:
- Download the ICS CM9 zip pack from this link. Navigate through pages until you reach the download page for the GIO pack.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your phone by going to Settings/ Applications/ Development where the USB debugging is located.
- Now connect your Galaxy GIO to your computer using its USB cable.
- Move the zip file you downloaded at step 1 on your phone’s SD card.
- Disable the connection to your PC and then power OFF the device.
- Launch Recovery Mode by pressing and holding the Menu key and while doing that press the Power ON button. Wait for the recovery mode to load.
- Now, from the recovery mode menu select the ‘install zip from sd card’.
- Select ‘choose zip from sd card’ and select the ICS CM9 custom rom zip that you placed on your phone’s sd card.
- Choose ‘Install’ and wait until the update is completed.
- After the update has been applied you need to select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and Confirm the wiping action.
- Reboot the device and wait until it loads the Galaxy GIO new homescreen.
These were all the steps you had to take in order to successfully apply the CyanogenMod 9 Android ICS 4.0 beta 5 firmware on your GIO smartphone. In case you didn’t manage to apply the changes, then you should use the comments section for help.