Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 is a great smartphone which was released this year, but unfortunately the Android 4.4.2 KitKat update is still nowhere to find. Anyway, the firmware will be rolled out soon and you will have to know how to apply the official update on your Galaxy Grand 2. In that matter, I have developed the guidelines from below. By using this tutorial you will be able to learn how to update Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 via OTA Android firmware, by using Samsung KIES, or by manually flashing the stock software. Also, I will resume the installation procedure of a custom ROM based on official Android OS, thus you are having a complex and complete update step by step tutorial.
Installing the official Android OS on your Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 represents an intuitive app to perform, especially if you are using the OTA roll out. Furthermore, by using KIES you can easily flash any Android firmware on your smartphone, though the most complex procedure is then one where Odin is being used. But, Odin is also the best way to apply when trying to unbrick the Galaxy Grand 2, therefore you should read all the guidelines from this tutorial as who knows when you will be needing this info.
As for the custom ROMs, you should know that there aren’t official update operations. So, for being able to complete the same you will have to prepare your phone first. In that matter, you will have to root your Grand 2 and install a custom recovery image on it – such as CWM or TWRP recovery. By doing so, the warranty of your device will get void, so be careful and try not to mess things up. Now, the warranty can be restore by updating with an official Android OS, so you can easily use this tutorial for updating to a custom ROM firmware, or for flashing the stock or official Android OS and for restoring the warranty and revoking root access.
Now, when updating the Galaxy Grand 2 with an official OS you shouldn’t worry about losing your data. But, in rare cases, when using Odin for installing the firmware, your data might get corrupted or wiped out, especially if in the end you will have to clear cache and make a hard reset for resolving a boot loop issue. Due to same reasons I recommend you to make a backup before going any further. Use compatible backup and restore tools from Google Play and save everything that you might need afterwards, including contacts list, call logs, text messages, EFS folder, market apps and personal info and accounts.
Odin represents an official program developed and offered by Samsung and used especially on update operations. Thus, this tutorial can be applied for both rooted and locked Android smartphones. Don’t forget that the warranty will get void if you will choose to install a custom ROM, though it can be replaced if you will use this guide for flashing the official Android OS on your Samsung Galaxy Grand 2.
In order to safely apply the guidelines from below, first you will have to prepare some things. You have to ensure that a Windows based computer can be used and that your device and its USB cable are near you – if you want to manually install the Android OS by using Odin or Samsung KIES. On the same computer you should first deactivate the security protection and on your phone you need to enable USB debugging option from path “menu –settings – developer options”. Moreover, your Galaxy Grand 2 should be charged before going any further –especially if there is less than 60% power left.
Good; now you can safely learn how to update your Samsung Galaxy Grand 2. Do note that this step by step guide is compatible only with the mentioned Android device so don’t try the steps from below in case you own a similar or different smartphone or tablet.
How to Update Samsung Galaxy Grand 2
Update to official Android OS via OTA
- First of all, make sure that you can use a WiFi connection. The updates are big and the best will be not to lose all of your Mobile Data plan on this operation.
- Now, take your phone and go to “Menu – Settings – About Phone”.
- Go to “software update” and check if there is a new OTA available for your Galaxy Grand 2.
- Download the new firmware and just wait while your device is being automatically updated.
- In the end, your phone will automatically reboot into Android OS.
- Go to Settings, hit About Phone and check the firmware version number in order to confirm the new Android OS.
- That’s all.
Update to Official Android OS using Samsung KIES
- If you can’t find the update via OTA, then you might be able to do so by using the Samsung KIES tool.
- So, on your computer install Samsung KIES.
- Also install Galaxy Grand 2 USB drivers on your computer.
- Connect your phone with your computer by plugging in the USB cord.
- Open Samsung KIES – if an update will be available you will be prompted to flash the firmware.
- Follow the on-screen prompts and update the Galaxy Grand 2 using Samsung KIES.
Update to official Android firmware using Odin
- Download Odin on your computer.
- Download the firmware file on your computer – you can get the official Android OS for your Grand 2 from SamMobile.
- Unzip Odin and install the program.
- Also, unzip the firmware on your computer.
- Then run Odin and enter Galaxy Grand 2 in download mode.
- Connect the devices via USB cord.
- From Odin select the “PA” option.
- Pick the Android OS and don’t make any other changes on the program – just click on “start”.
- Wait while the update is being installed and that’s it.
Update with a custom ROM firmware
- After gaining root access and installing the custom recovery image, download the custom ROM on your computer.
- Don’t unzip the firmware file.
- Connect your device with your computer and transfer the downloaded file on the phone’s SD card.
- Then turn off your handset.
- Enter Galaxy Grand 2 in recovery mode.
- From there select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Return and select “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the firmware file and install the same.
Congratulations; you have successfully updated your Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 to official or custom Android OS. Was this tutorial helpful for you? Don’t hesitate and share your experience with us and with other users who might want to use this tutorial by using the comments field from below. If there are problems we will try to assist you as soon as possible.