Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 is an old and outdated Android based device without a doubt. But, if you are still having one piece, or if you are still using it as a backup driver, I might have something that can interest you. A new custom ROM was made available for this particular device and through this new update package you can experience the new Android 8.1 Oreo software. Therefore, you can now choose to test what’s new on the Android system without risking anything else, by flashing the Resurrection Remix Oreo ROM on your own Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3.
This build of Resurrection Remix was successfully compiled and booted on the Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 by those of xda so we must thank them for this new update opportunity. The ROM is still under development stage but, overall, you should be able to enjoy a stable and a smooth Android 8.1 Oreo experience – only minor problems can be involved as from time to time you can deal with isolate bugs or general hangs. Bottom line, this custom ROM can be used on a daily basis on your own Android device.
The Resurrection Remix Oreo custom ROM is coming with great customization options. The firmware can be tweaked so that general Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 performance is improved. Mainly, with this particular Android 8.1Oreo software installed your smartphone should run better and faster than it used to, everything while you can enjoy an upgraded battery life.
Anyhow, before starting the steps from below you should first prepare a few things as this particular update procedure can be successfully applied only in certain conditions:
- Your Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 must be running on a rooted Android OS – the root process will unlock the Android platform, which will afterwards be customized, optimized and modified by the new Resurrection Remix custom ROM firmware.
- On your device a custom recovery image must run – the actual installation process can be completed only through such custom environment.
- Note: in order to make everything work without experiencing problems you should choose to gain root access by using a dedicated one-click-root solution and the TWRP or CWM recovery platforms as your main custom recovery alternative.
A hard reset will be completed during the Android 8.1 Oreo update operation. So, you can lose important files if you’re not careful enough. That’s why, a backup shouldn’t be option at this point. On your Mega 6.3 you can choose to sync general files with your Google Account (such as contacts, call logs, or texts), you can use built-in cloud storage platforms for saving stuffs like images, videos or audio files and you can download and use backup and restore apps from Google Play if you want to secure files such as EFS folder or IMEI / NVRAM data.
Additionally, a Nandroid backup will be a great idea – that process will save the current Android OS that runs on your handset, so if the new Resurrection Remix Oreo software will not run as you expected, you can choose to use the Nandroid backup file for going back to stock.
This is a manual update operation thus a computer is required. Your smartphone and its USB cable must be there as a connection between these devices must be ensured. Developer Options should be displayed within Settings; if not, go to About Phone and tap repeatedly on Built Number – after 7 or 10 taps you should receive the ‘you are a developer’ message. Then, from Settings, within Developer Options, you have to check USB Debugging on your Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3.
Finally, a charging process is more than recommended – just plug in the charger on your device before starting the Android 8.1 Oreo update operation. If you skip this process your device can get bricked while you try to update its system – different software related problems can be caused if your Galaxy Mega 6.3 gets turned off while you try to install the Resurrection Remix custom ROM package. So, be careful and try to avoid such unpleasant situations as much as possible.
How to Update Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 to Android 8.1 Oreo via Resurrection Remix ROM
- Power on your computer and enable an Internet connection. Then, go here and download the Oreo package and here for getting compatible Google Apps (aren’t included on the Resurrection Remix file so it must be flashed separately).
- Save the downloaded files on desktop or somewhere where you can easily access them.
- Switch off your Galaxy Mega 6.3 and wait a few seconds while this process is completed.
- Next, reach recovery mode on your handset: just press and hold Power, Volume Up and Home buttons at the same time.
- From recovery start a full wipe by choosing ‘wipe data factory reset’, followed by ‘wipe cache partition’ and by ‘wipe dalvik cache’.
- Reboot to Android mode when that’s done.
- Connect your smartphone with your computer – of course, do that by using the USB cord.
- From your computer select the downloaded files and transfer everything to your phone.
- Remove the USB cable in the end because the computer is no longer useful.
- Go to recovery mode again; from recovery tap on Install and load the Android 8.1 Oreo based Resurrection Remix custom ROM file.
- Swipe and start the flashing process.
- When that’s done, pick up Google Apps and install this package too.
- In the end, from main menu of recovery pick ‘reboot system now’.
There you have it; that’s how you can install Android 8.1 Oreo on the Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3. In the end, go ahead and test the Resurrection Remix custom ROM firmware. If you find something that isn’t running as it should, or if you find general bugs and other similar software related issues, don’t hesitate and share your observations with us by using the comments field from below. That’s all; enjoy.