Earlier today, Google pushed the official Android 4.2.2 OTA update for Galaxy Nexus GSM takju. Now, you can use this article and learn how to manually install it on your device.
This is a guide for GSM Galaxy Nexus owners who are still waiting for the OTA notification or for those of you who rooted and installed custom ROMs. At the moment, you’ll use this tutorial only for the Takju variant of GSM Galaxy Nexus, it is the phone bought from Google’s Play Store in the US.
Android 4.2.2 comes with performance and stability improvements. A new radio is available with this new OTA update, while the bluetooth bug seems to have been fixed. There aren’t any major changes and you can easily update your device by ‘adb pushing’ process the stock Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 build number on to your device.
In order to make sure that you install this update at your first attempt, read the guidelines below:
- Use this guide only with the ‘takju’ variant of GSM Galaxy Nexus I9250, it is the model bought from Google Play Store. Don’t use this tutorial with any other smartphone because you will end up bricking it.
- Your Galaxy Nexus should be on the Android 4.2.1 JOP40D factory firmware. You won’t be able to flash this new update if otherwise. Use this guide HERE to flash that firmware.
- Updating your device with this new ROM will revoke root access for rooted phones. Also, the warranty will be restored because of this.
- You should create backups of your most important data settings by moving them on to your device’s internal SD card.
- Enable USB debugging option from your device’s Developer Options. NOTE: if the Developer Options isn’t showing in the Settings menu, then you will have to tap 7 times the Build Number and it will unlock the Developer Options for your GSM Galaxy Nexus.
- Make sure that you have the Android SDK software installed on your PC. Also, the USB drivers for your device should be installed on computer.
- Disable all Antivirus software from your computer.
- The battery of your phone should be charged and showing that at least 50% power charge level is left before powering off.
- Use this guide at your own risk, as we cannot be held responsible in case you brick your phone or you lose any important data in the process.
- If you’re having problems completing the update, use the comments section to ask for more help.
I think that these were all the instructions that you had to go over before continuing to the most interesting part of this article. Read the entire tutorial before starting to flash the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 stock update for your ‘takju’ device.
How to install Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 OTA update for GSM Galaxy Nexus ‘takju’:
NOTE: This is a tutorial that works if you’re using a STOCK Recovery image. If your device is on a custom Recovery ( CWM or TWRP) use the instructions listed after this guide.
- Download the Takju ROM Jelly Bean 4.2.2 JDQ39 OTA update build from HERE or HERE. Save the file on your PC and place it in a folder on your desktop screen.
- Power off your Galaxy Nexus completely.
- Boot it into Fastboot mode by pressing Volume Up, Volume Down and POWER at the same time. Release the buttons when the Fastboot selection menu appears.
- Select ‘RECOVERY’ option. When the Android screen with a red exclamation point appears you should press Volume Up and Power. A new menu appears.
- Select ‘Apply update from ADB’. Get to the next step.
- Use the USB cable and connect your device to your PC. NOTE: your PC should have the Android SDK installed on it so that it would be able to support the ADB sideload command. You can use Windows, Linux and even Mac computers to apply the update.
- Launch a Command Window prompt, in Windows, from the same folder created at step 1.
- Enter the following command in order to push the Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 firmware on to your GSM Galaxy Nexus: adb sideload 472aafeb9fe3.signed-takju-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.472aafeb.zip
- The installation will begin and a progress bar will show up.
- When the update is complete you can restart the phone and then wait for it to load the entire new OS.
- Unplug the phone from PC when the Galaxy Nexus boot animation shows up.
- That’s it, the only thing left to do is to test this new update and tell us in comments if your phone runs better or worse than before.
These were all the steps you had to take in order to flash the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 update on your ‘takju’ smartphone.
Now, if you’re device is running stock Android 4.2.1 JOP40D but a custom Recovery ( TWRP or CWM), then you will have to use the guide below in order to flash the update. Here’s how to do that:
- Download the OTA Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 zip from step 1 (links are in the tutorial above).
- Connect the phone to PC and move the zip on to its internal SDcard. Disconnect the device when the file is copied.
- Power off your smartphone.
- Boot it into Custom Recovery mode.
- Select the ‘install’ option from the Recovery options and then browse your phone’s internal SDcard for the Android 4.2.2 ROM zip.
- Confirm the installation.
- Reboot your smartphone and that should be all.
I hope that you’ve managed to update your smartphone to Android 4.2.2 OTA. Test your new OS and see for yourself if there are any stability and performance improvements.
If you cannot complete the update, then you should a leave detailed comment at the end of this post. Tell us exactly which steps you took and where you got stuck, so that we will manage to offer you the best solution. If you have any other questions you know where to find us.
Since this is a guide only for the ‘takju’ model of Galaxy Nexus GSM, then you should know that the ‘yakju’ GSM International variant will get the update in the next days. So, if you’re owning a Galaxy Nexus GSM that wasn’t bought from US Google Play Store, then you need to wait until the update zip is made public and we post the ‘how-to’ guide.