Update Samsung Galaxy Nexus GSM to Android 4.2.2 using AOKP Milestone 2 ROM Build
Samsung Galaxy Nexus GSM can be update to Android 4.2.2 Custom ROM using the AOKP Milestone 2 build by Android Open Kang Project. This is a new ROM that has been created by one of the most popular developing teams out there. Read this entire post and make sure that you don’t skip any steps that I have listed in this article, as otherwise you won’t manage to install the new ROM and end up being forced to repeat the tutorial more than once.
This new official build by AOKP team has reached Milestone 2, it is based on Android 4.2.2 and you can learn more about it using the info listed here.
In order to make sure that you do manage to update your device successfully at your first attempt, you will need to take a look at the guidelines below:
- This guide works only with the Samsung Galaxy Nexus GSM edition with the I9250 model number.
- Do not attempt to update any different devices using the files listed in this post as you will end up bricking it.
- The Galaxy Nexus that you’re about to update should be factory unlocked, rooted and running a custom Recovery such as TWRP or CWM. Without these you won’t be able to apply the installation of AOKP M2 Android 4.2.2 ROM for your device.
- Both CWM Recovery and TWRP Recovery are supported by this guide and you’ll use instructions in the tutorial.
- In the ‘how-to’ part of this tutorial you will find a step that asks you to ‘factory reset’ the device. This is recommended for devices that are running a different custom ROM build.
- If your device already runs on a previous build of AOKP Android 4.2.2 ROM then you can flash the new AOKP M2 Stable ROM. However, note that in case the new ROM doesn’t boot into normal mode, then you will be forced to return to the tutorial guide and repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- ‘Factory Reset’ will wipe data from your device’s system partition which contains installed apps data, SMS and other similar files.
- The Internal SD card won’t be affected by the ‘factory reset’ action.
- If you want to backup installed apps data then you can use Helyum from Google Play Store or the Titanium Backup app.
- SMS, Call Logs info and APN Internet Settings can be backed up using these tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- If you don’t want to lose any saved phone numbers, then you can use the link here to learn how to sync Contacts info with the default Gmail account you have assigned for your Galaxy Nexus phone.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery charge levels are over 50%, as this will prevent it from switching off while you’re updating your device with AOKP M2 ROM.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options screen.
- Note that this post is destined to be used by advanced Android users and you shouldn’t blame us in case you brick the phone or you lose any important files in the process.
- If you cannot complete the installation, then you can ask for more help in comments. Make sure to leave a detailed comment so that we will be able to come up with a viable solution for any type of problems you might find while attempting to flash AOKP M2 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM for your Nexus device.
I think that these are all the extra instructions you had to go over before starting the update. Remember that you shouldn’t skip any steps that I’ve listed below as this will result in a failed attempt.
How to flash AOKP Milestone 2 Android 4.2.2 ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250 GSM:
- Download the AOKP M2 build from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.2.2 custom ROMs from here.
- Use the USB cable and connect your Galaxy Nexus with the computer.
- Move both files on your device’s internal SD card. When the files are copied you should disconnect the phone from PC.
> do not unzip the archived contents of the zip files.
- Power off your smartphone.
- Boot the Galaxy Nexus into Bootloader Mode, then select the Recovery option.
> wait for the device to boot into CWM / TWRP Recovery Mode. Remember that this guide works with both custom Recovery variants.
- First you need to create a NANDROID Backup of your currently installed ROM:
> CWM Recovery: select the option called ‘backup and restore’. Name the backup file and confirm the process.
> TWRP Recovery: press Backup, select the system parts you want to store in a backup file and then confirm.
- After the backup is complete, you need to apply ‘factory reset’ for your Galaxy Nexus:
> CWM Recovery: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
> TWRP Recovery: press Wipe, then Factory Reset. Confirm.
- if your device already runs on a previous AOKP Android 4.2.2 official build, then you can skip this step. However, this is not recommended.
- if the device doesn’t boot with the new AOKP M2 ROM and you didn’t apply ‘factory reset’, then you will have to repeat this entire tutorial.
- Next thing that you need to do is to flash the new custom ROM:
> CWM Recovery: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the AOKP M2 zip file. Install it.
> TWRP Recovery: press Install, find the AOKP M2 zip. Confirm the installation by sliding the blue button at the bottom of the screen.
- the installation shouldn’t take more than a few minutes to complete, which is why you need to wait until then without pressing any buttons.
- After the AOKP M2 ROM is installed, repeat step 9 and install the AOKP M2 zip too.
- When both zip files are flashed, return to the main Custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your smartphone now into normal mode.
- Enter the Google Account details and take control over the new AOKP Milestone 2 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM.
These were all the steps that you needed to apply in order to flash this custom ROM for your device. In case you get stuck or any file isn’t installed with success, then you should repeat the entire tutorial once again. Make sure that you don’t skip any steps and that you apply ‘factory reset’.
In case you don’t like this new ROM, then you can easily restore your device to its previous ROM using the NANDROID backup files created in step 8. For any other questions, use the comments section below.