The AOKP is a project kang ROM and now a developer who is also a forum member of XDA managed to create a working AOKP Jelly Bean preview ROM for Galaxy Nexus I9250 GSM International variant users to install. Use the instructions that I’ve listed in this article here and you will learn how to flash the ROM files without too much trouble.
This AOKP ROM is unofficial and it is on Jelly Bean code source. It comes after the release of the unofficial CM10 preview build of Android 4.1 Jelly Bean and you should install it only at your own risk. This new ROM is currently in its beta phase and you should be careful before installing it as it might contains some bugs and errors and not all Jelly Bean features will work smoothly.
If you want to make sure that you correctly install this new Android 4.1 AOKP based firmware, then you should read the preparation guidelines below and in this way you will be able to flash all the files in no time. The installation of this new ROM should take maximum 4 minutes for devices that are on unlocked bootloaders, rooted and are running CWM Recovery / TWRP Recovery. In case yours isn’t rooted, then you should really read the guidelines below as you will find numerous useful links. Here’s what you need to know:
- this guide and the files you’ll find here should be used with the GSM Galaxy Nexus model number I9250. To check the model number, open Settings and then open the ‘About phone’ menu. Do not attempt to flash the ROM on other Nexus variants.
- in the ‘how-to’ guide you will find a step that tells you to wipe all data and that’s why you should mvoe all important files to your phone’s SD card. All apps and some other files will be deleted from your phone, except for those that are currently stored on the sdcard.
- AOKP unofficial Jelly Bean is a beta build and it might feature some bugs and errors that we don’t know about. Also, use it only for testing purposes and return to our website in the future, as we expect the AOKP team to release an official ROM for Jelly Bean and GNex device in the near future.
- Create a full backup of the ROM that is currently installed on your phone. This step will help you restore this backup in case you don’t like how this new AOKP preview build based on Jelly Bean runs.
- If you want to backup applications, SMS, APN Settings or Call Logs info, then you should try these tools for Android phones: AppBAK for Android apps backup | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- The Galaxy Nexus GSM you’re about to update should be on an unlocked bootloader.
- Also, your phone should be rooted and running the CWM Recovery or the TWRP Recovery. Both are working with this guide and ROM.
- If you don’t want to lose the saved phone numbers click HERE. This will help you sync the Contacts app with your Gmail Account so that all phone numbers can be restored after the AOKP Jelly Bean 4.1 is flashed successfully.
- Charge the Galaxy Nexus battery so that it won’t power off while you’re updating its firmware with a new ROM.
- Enable USB Debugging option on your phone.
- Install this ROM at your own risk and remember that we cannot be held responsible in case your GNex device gets corrupted or something else goes wrong. The Galaxy Nexus isn’t easily brickable and you shouldn’t worry too much. Use the comments section to ask for help in case something does go wrong and the custom ROM isn’t installed successfully.
This was all the extra info that you should have read before moving to the tutorial. In case you cannot complete the installation, then I strongly recommend you to ask for help from a more advanced Android user or tell us in comments where you got stuck and we will get back to you.
Install AOKP Unofficial Preview of Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250
- Download the AOKP Jelly Bean 4.1 Preview ROM from HERE. Place the file on your computer and don’t unzip the files stored within.
- Download GApps file from HERE. This will install the Play Store, Google Now and all other Google-based apps which you need to use if you wish to test all new Jelyl Bean functions.
- After you download the files above, you should connect the phone to your computer and then move the zips. Place them on your device’s SD card and after that unplug the GNex from your PC and power OFF the phone.
- Boot into CWM Recovery or TWRP Recovery. Do it by holding simultaneously ‘volume up’ + ‘volume down’ + ‘power’ buttons until you see the ‘recovery’ option listed, and then use the volume rocker buttons to highlight it and ‘power’ to select and load it.
- Next, from the custom Recovery menu select ‘backup’ and create a full backup. This file can be used and restored in case you don’t like the new ROM. If you already have a backup of the existing ROM, then you should skip this step.
- From the CWM recovery menu, select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm. If you’re using TWRP Recovery select ‘wipe’ and then ‘Factory reset’, confirm. All files are removed except for those stored on the SD card.
- Return to the main recovery menu and select ‘install zip from sdcard’ on CWM Recovery or ‘Install’ for TWRP Recovery.
- For CWM Recovery select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and find the AOKP preview ROM and install it. IN TWRP Recovery you should simply find the ROM and confirm the installation.
- Now that you’ve installed the ROM, you should do the same actions and install the GApps zip file. After Google Apps package is installed you should return to the main recovery menu.
- Select ‘reboot’ and wait until the first boot process into AOKP preview Jelly Bean ROM is complete. Note that first boot will take at least 5 minutes to complete and you should wait until it does. If it takes over 15 minutes, it means that the installation wasn’t successful and you should try again and repeat the entire tutorial.
- If the ROM was installed then the Jelly Bean AOKP home screen will load and you will have to enter the Google account details and start testing the phone.
Now that the AOKP Jelly Bean 4.1.1 has been installed you should restore and re-install your applications, restore the phone contacts and all the other files you backed up before moving to the tutorial guide.
If you didn’t manage to flash this new ROM, then you should tell us in comments and explain exactly where you got stuck and we will try and give the best advice. Also, use the comments to post you extra tips and tricks regarding Jelly Bean, AOKP and Galaxy Nexus I9250 phones.
If you want more Galaxy Nexus I9250 tutorials and guides on how to improve your phone, then you should click the device’s name listed under this article’s picture.