Update Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250 to Official AOKP Jelly Bean 4.1
The Galaxy Nexus is Google’s smartphone and it was built by Samsung, but, when the Jelly Bean 4.1 OS was announced it was the first device that received the update, while Samsung’s Galaxy series phones still need to wait until an official release will be made. However, in this post you’ll find instructions on how to install a custom ROM Jelly Bean AOKP-based.
This release of AOKP 4.1 Jelly Bean is an official one and it has been created by the popular Android Open Kang Project team and now you can use this tutorial to learn how to apply this update. This version of AOKP Jelly Bean custom ROM is in its beta stage and it might still be packing some errors and bugs, which means that you should only install it if you’re an Android enthusiast and you wish to test this popular release on your GNex.
Now that you’ve read all of the above, you should continue with the rest of this article and first thing that you need to do is to read the preparation guide below and learn how to correctly configure your smartphone so that you’ll install the AOKP official ROM from your first attempt. Here’s what you need to know:
- install this Official AOKP Jelly Bean 4.1 ROM only on the Galaxy Nexus smartphone international variant with the model number I9250. Check your phone’s model number by opening Settings and then check the info listed under the ‘About phone’ screen. Do not attempt to install it on the US versions by Verizon, Sprint, AT&T as you will end up bricking those devices.
- Your Galaxy Nexus I925o should be have its bootloader unlocked. Note that in case yours doesn’t then you will need to use this guide HERE. Note that by unlocking the bootloader you will lose all the data currently stored on your phone system partition and on the SD card.
- Also, you will be able to install this new custom ROM only if the Galaxy Nexus is rooted and it has TWRP Recovery or CWM Recovery installed on it. That guide will root and install CWM Recovery. If your device already meets these requirements then move to the next step.
- To backup applications, SMS, Call Logs and the APN Internet Settings use the following tools for Android devices: AppBAK for Android apps backup | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- The stored Phone Contacts should be synced with your Gmail account.
- USB Debugging option should be enabled from your phone’s settings menu.
- Charge the phone’s battery so that it won’t power OFF while you’re installing the official AOKP release of Jelly Bean for GNex.
- Install this ROM at your own risk and remember that we cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your smartphone. That is why it is recommended for an advanced Android user to try and apply such changes, because in case you don’t know what you’re doing, then you might end up bricking the phone.
I think that these are all the instructions that you had to read before moving to the tutorial. If you hit any roadblocks while you try to update the phone, please us the comments section to ask for our help. Remember that you will be able to flash this new ROM only if your phone has an unlocked bootloader, is rooted and the CWM Recovery image is installed on it.
Install Official AOKP-based Jelly Bean 4.1 on Samsung Galaxy Nexus
- Download the custom ROM zip file from HERE. Make sure that you download the latest version of the AOKP official JB 4.1.x ROM. Save the file on your PC and don’t extract its contents.
- Next, you will need to download the GApps zip for Jelly Bean from HERE. Make sure that you download the Jelly Bean version and not the ICS or Gingerbread ones. Save it on your PC and don’t extract it. This file will have to be flashed so that it will install the Google apps on your phone, apps such as the Google Now, Gmail, Gtalk, Calendar etc
- After the download of both the above files is complete you need to connect the smartphone to your computer via USB cable. Move the ROM and the GApps zip files on your device’s internal sdcard.
- When the transfer of these files is complete you will have to disconnect the phone from your PC and then power it OFF.
- Boot it into CWM Recovery mode by pressing and holding the following buttons: volume up, volume down and Power. Release the buttons only when the screen powers on.
- When in CWM recovery mode, you will first need to select ‘backup and restore’ option. Create a full backup of the existing ROM by selecting ‘backup to internal sdcard’ option.
- This new backup will help you restore your device in case something goes wrong and the AOKP JB 4.1 isn’t working as you would’ve expected it to. After the backup is complete you should return to the main recovery menu.
- Next, select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm this action.
- After the data is wiped you will have to select’ install zip from sdcard’ and from the new menu select ‘choose zip from internal sdcard’. Browse the SD Card root folder for the AOKP Jelly Bean custom ROM zip file. Select it and then confirm its installation.
- Now you need to repeat step 8 and this time you will install the Gapps zip file just like you with the ROM zip. When this step is complete you should return to the main CWM Recovery screen.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and then wait for your device to complete the first boot into the new official AOKP Jelly Bean 4.1 ROM. Note that this will take at least 5 minutes to complete and the only thing that you can do is to wait until its done.
- When the boot completes successfully you should enter your Google account details and start the testing of the new Jelly Bean-based AOKP release.
In case you don’t like this new ROM you can reboot into CWM Recovery and use the ‘backup and restore’ option to restore the ROM you previously had installed on your device using the backup file. However, I hope that you like this new release of AOKP and you should use our comments section and tell us how it performs on you smartphone.
Also, use the comments field at the end of this post to ask for help in case you can’t complete the installation of the ROM. Remember that you shouldn’t attempt to install this AOKP official ROM for Galaxy Nexus I9250 on other devices.