The MIUI Rom is now based on the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean and it can be installed on the Galaxy Nexus device with help from this article. In this post you will find all the info you need in order to correctly install all the custom ROM files on your smartphone without damaging your phone.
MIUI is a popular team that creates custom ROMs for various Android phones and now they manage to create a working pack for the Galaxy Nexus and you can use the info that I have listed in this post and learn how to successfully flash all the new Jelly Bean 4.1 features. This update will bring both MIUI-based features as well as the improved Android 4.1 OS functions such as Google Now, butter interfaces, theme support, advanced voice recognition, better and smarter keyboard etc.
Before starting to install this new custom ROM you should read the preparation guide below and learn which steps you need to take in order to correctly flash all the required files. Make sure that you know what you’re doing and remember that this custom ROM is installed at your own risk. Now that you know all this, I think that you can move to the tutorial guide and correctly configure your GNex device for the update. Here’s what you need to know:
- Install the MIUI Jelly Bean 4.1 ROM only on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus model number I9250, which is the GSM International variant. Check the phone’s model number by opening Settings and then ‘About phone’ menu. If your device is a I9250 model then you can continue to the next part of this article.
- To successfully install this update your phone should have its bootloader unlocked, it has to be rooted and TWRP or CWM recovery should be installed on it. If your device doesn’t meet these requirements you should follow these links: How to unlock Galaxy Nexus bootloader | How to root Galaxy Nexus and install CWM Recovery image.
- The tutorial will tell you to wipe all data and format the system and this means that you will lose installed apps and some other files currently stored on your phone’s system partition. You will lose apps, SMS, Call Logs and some other files. Use the following tools to backup various files that will be lost during the update process: AppBAK for Android apps backup | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- The photos, videos and other files that usually stored on your phone’s internal sdcard won’t be deleted and you shouldn’t back them up. However, if you want to be sure that you won’t lose them then you should move these files on your computer via USB cable and in case something goes wrong you will still be able to restore them from your PC.
- Sync your Phone Contacts with the GMail account assigned to your phone. This will save all your save phone numbers and contacts to your Gmail account and after that update is complete you can restore the info by entering the same Gmail account.
- Enable USB debugging option from your phone’s Android developer / Development menu.
- The phone’s battery should have the power levels over 70% and this means that it won’t switch OFF during the updating process as that will force you to repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- Note that we cannot be held responsible in case your phone gets damaged during the update. Make sure that you read the entire post and that you know your way around CWM Recovery and how to flash new custom ROMs for your Galaxy Nexus device. In case you cannot complete the update then you should ask for more instructions in the comments section and we will get back with extra info.
That’s all the general info you had to read and now you should move to the tutorial guide and learn how to correctly flash this new ROM on your GNex device. Don’t skip any of the steps listed below and make sure that you are an advanced Android user.
How to install MIUI Jelly Bean 4.1.1 custom ROM on Galaxy Nexus I9250
- Download the MIUI ROM zip from HERE. Save the file on your computer’s desktop screen and don’t extract its contents.
- Connect the phone to your PC using the USB cable and move the ROM file on the phone’s internal SD card root. After the transfer is complete you should unplug the phone from PC and switch it OFF.
- Boot into CWM Recovery mode by pressing and holding simultaneously ‘volume up’ + ‘volume down’ + ‘power’ buttons. Release the buttons only when the screen powers ON. Select Recovery mode with the volume rocker buttons and press’Power’ to load Recovery mode.
- Now CWM Recovery mode will load and you should first select ‘backup and restore’ and then ‘backup on the internal sdcard’. This will create a full Nandroid backup of the ROM you have currently installed on your GNex. After the backup is complete you should return to the main custom recovery menu.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm that you wish for this step to be completed.
- When the data has been deleted you should select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then select ‘choose zip from internal sdcard’. Point the CWM recovery selection line to the MIUI JB 4.1.1 ROM zip and confirm that you wish to install it.
- After the ROM installation is complete you should return to the ClockworkMod Recovery main screen and select ‘reboot system now’.
- The Galaxy Nexus will start its first boot into MIUI ROM Jelly Bean 4.1.1 and you should expect this to last at least 5 minutes. After first boot is completed and your phone loads normally you should enter your Google Account credentials and you’ll gain control over your phone.
- That’s it now your phone is updated and you should begin the testing of the MIUI ROM based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean OS.
NOTE: In case the first boot process takes over 15 minutes to complete you should power OFF the phone, remove its battery, then re-insert it and then boot again into CWM Recovery and restart the update process from step 4. I think that these are all the instructions that you needed in order to correctly update your Galaxy Nexus I9250.