Update Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250 with AOKP Jelly Bean 4.1.2 Build 5 ROM
The Galaxy Nexus I9250 has received a new update from the AOKP team and now you can use the instructions in this post to learn how to manually flash the AOKP Jelly Bean build 5. Note that this ROM is based on the AOSP Jelly Bean 4.1.2 and it is not an official Samsung / Google update.
It comes with several tweaks and improvements that should offer you a better Android experience. The NavBar widgets have been re-added from ICS, there are also some CyanogenMod based functions that now can be used in AOKP custom ROMs. The Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean first releases were launched several weeks ago and now the AOKP team finished their work on them and you can experience it on your device using this build 5 of Jelly Bean AOKP ROM.
In order to successfully flash this update, you will first need to read the preparation guide below. It teaches you what to do and what apps to use in order to backup your most important files that are currently stored on your Galaxy Nexus smartphone:
- Check your phone’s model number by opening the Settings app and then you need to verify the info listed under ‘About device’ menu. If the I9250 version is listed then you can continue reading this post.
- Your smartphone has to be rooted and the CWM Recovery should be installed on it. Without these you cannot flash the AOKP custom ROM.
- Move all your important files on your phone’s internal SD card. This part of your device will not be deleted in the process.
- Save a list of installed apps, the Call Logs, SMS and the APN Internet Settings using the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android. Note that some of them require root access in order to work.
- Sync your Contacts with the Gmail account that you use to control all your phone’s functions.
- Charge your phone’s battery so that your Galaxy Nexus will not power off while you’re flashing the ROM files.
- USB Debugging option should be enabled.
- Create a full ROM backup of the OS that’s currently installed on your device. Use CWM Recovery or ROM Manager to make such backup. This file will be helpful in case something goes wrong. Also, note that we cannot be blamed if your Nexus device is bricked in the process and you should apply the update only if you’re an advanced Android user.
- Read all steps and in case you cannot complete the tutorial, then you should ask for more help in our comments field.
I think that these are all the instructions that you had to read before moving to the ‘how-to’ guide. If you hit any roadblocks or you cannot finish the installation, leave a detailed comment explaining all the steps you took until then.
How to install AOKP Android 4.1.2 JB Build 5 custom ROM on Galaxy Nexus I9250:
- Download the ROM zip from HERE. Save the file on your PC and don’t extract its contents.
- Download the Gapps file for Android 4.1 Jelly Bean from HERE. Don’t unzip and save it on desktop.
- Connect your Galaxy Nexus to your computer via USB cable and then move the files downloaded on its internal SD card storage. After the transfer is complete, you should disconnect the smartphone from computer.
- Power off the device and then boot it into CWM Recovery mode. It can be done by pressing at the same time ‘volume up’ + ‘volume down’ and ‘power’ buttons. Release them when the screen powers ON. Select Recovery and then the phone will boot.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm. If you’re already running an AOKP JB build, then you can skip this step.
- Now select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and from the next screen select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the AOKP JB build 5 ROM zip and confirm that you want to install it.
- After the ROM installs you need to select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the Gapps zip and confirm that you want to install it.
- When both AOKP JB build 5 and Google Apps for Jelly Bean are installed, you can return to the main CWM Recovery menu.
- Select ‘reboot system now’. Now your Galaxy Nexus will first boot into AOKP JB Build 5 ROM and you should give it at least 5 minutes to complete the process.
- When the custom ROM installs successfully you will see the welcoming screen. Enter your Google account details and after that you can start testing this new release.
NOTE: If the phone doesn’t boot after applying step 9, then it means like something went wrong and you will be forced to power off the smartphone. Remove and then re-insert its battery. Now you need to repeat the entire tutorial starting with step 4. You should be able to flash the update on your second attempt by making sure that you don’t skip any steps listed above.
I hope that you’ve managed to flash the build 5 of AOKP JB ROM. If you have any other questions then you need to post in the comments field.