Team LiquidSmooth created a new working custom ROM for the Galaxy Nexus devices and here you can find all the instructions you need so that you will be able to successfully update it to a new firmware. Make sure to read the entire tutorial guide and that your device is currently rooted and that it features the CWM Recovery feature.
The main features of this custom ROM are the LiquidControl support that offers you the possibility to control, customize and optimize every single function and feature of your phone. It has support for full screen mode, at least five lockscreen options are included, incremental navbar heights that allows you set the favorite size for the navigation bar along with support for navbar customization that you can use to change its collow. button glow speed, colorkeys etc. Battery icons can be changed. PropModder support has been added.
LiquidSmooth custom ROM for Galaxy Nexus Android 4.0 ICS can be easily installed and you simply need to read the preparation and the ‘how-to’ guides. The preparation guide helps you correctly configure your phone and you will also learn that you need to backup your data, apn settings, phone contacts etc.
The Backup /Restore LiquidControl config is user friendly and you can use to backup the UI and ROM customizations after you’ve finished editing them and so you will be able to restore them if you ever decide to reflash the LiquidSmooth ICS custom ROM. For the moment, there weren’t any major bugs reported which means that you shouldn’t have any trouble using this firmware. However, you might be forced to wipe the data and your device needs to have been previously rooted and CWM Recovery image should already be installed. You will learn more about these by reading the preparation guide.
Here’s what you need to know before starting to install the new Android 4.0 ICS LiquidSmooth custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Also, you should find some Android apps that will help you backup important applications and software currently stored on your device. Read all this pre-requisites info below:
- Users that are coming from a different ROM and are satisfied with how that one currently on their device should perform a full backup of that particular ROM. This action will help them easily restore the previous ROM if LiquidSmooth firmware will prove to be unsatisfying.
- a full backup can be performed using CWM Recovery, ROM Manager or ROM Toolbox Lite. All these apps are available from Google Play Store.
- In case you wish to stick with LiquidSmooth ROM then you should move the important files to your device’s internal / external sdcard. Such files are videos, audio, photo, pdf and text documents, bookmarks, ebooks and all other files you don’t wish to lose during the update.
- Applications, sms text messages and call logs files can easily be saved and restored after the update using these 3 Android apps: AppBak for saving and restoring Android apps | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore.
- Phone Contacts need to be synced with your Gmail account so that you won’t lose your friends’ phone numbers, social profiles etc. Click this link to learn how to do it.
- The installation of LiquidSmooth ROM will require you to wipe all data and perform a full factory reset, and after the new custom ROM is successfully flashed the APN and MMS Settings might be lost or changed. That’s why you can use the guide listed HERE and learn how to properly save the APN settings so that you will be able to browse the internet after you install LiquidSmooth.
- Enable USB Debugging.
- Galaxy S2 you’re installing the new firmware should be rooted. Our page here should contain several guides that you might find helpful if your device isn’t rooted.
- charge the device’s battery until it reaches at least 70% so that it won’t power off while you’re installing the new custom firmware files.
- Google apps don’t need to be downloaded separately, as the LiquidSmooth ROM contains all Google applications.
- Apply this custom ROM update only on Galaxy Nexus GSM devices.
These are all the instructions you had to follow in order to correctly prepare your device for the updating process. Note that neither we, Android.gs, nor the developers of this ROM will be held responsible if you brick the device or you lose important files. Also, it is recommended for your to be an advanced Android user, while beginners should ask a more skilled friend to assist them while updating the ROM firmware.
Now that you know all that, I think that you’re ready to move to the tutorial guide and learn how to properly flash a totally new Android 4.0 installation on your Gnex device.
How to update Galaxy Nexus with LiquidSmooth Android 4.0 ICS custom ROM firmware:
- Download the LiquidSmooth ROM zip pack and save it on your computer’s desktop.
- Connect your Gnex to your computer using the USB cable. Move the ROM zip package without extracting it on your phone’s internal sdcard.
- Disconnect the phone and after that switch it off.
- Boot into recovery mode.
- When in Recovery mode, select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm. Wait for the wipe to be complete and after that move to the next step.
- You’re now back to the main recovery screen. Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then select ‘choose zip from sdcard’, or if this doesn’t work then select ‘choose zip from internal sdcard’. Confirm this action and wait for the Liquid ICS ROM to be installed.
- After the update is complete, you need to go back the the main recovery menu.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait for your Galaxy Nexus to complete its first boot under LiquidSmooth ROM firmware.
- Now configure your Google account and take control of your Android phone.
NOTE: LiquidSmooth’s first boot process should take circa 10 minutes to complete, but in case you notice that expands to 20 minutes, then the device might have been bricked or you forgot to apply one of the above steps. If your Galaxy Nexus is now frozen or it is stuck in a boot loop then you need to remove the battery, then place it back on and then boot again in recovery, and this time make sure that you apply all the steps in the tutorial guide, especially the ‘data wipe/ factory reset’ one.
If everything went according to plan and you did manage to install the new ROM then please feel free to start customizing it and enjoy using it. Use LiquidControl feature to gain access to all Galaxy Nexus LiquidSmooth ROM controls and improve the overall performances of your phone. if you have any other questions then please feel free to leave them as comments and I will get back to you.