The Galaxy Nexus International GSM variant aka ‘yakju’ received its own version of Android 4.2.1 JOP40D firmware OTA Update. Use this guide to update your device manually only in case you didn’t receive the push notification alert. Make sure that you’ll read all the info I’ve posted and that you’re currently running on stock firmware.
This update works with the unlocked Galaxy Nexus International variant and you should use this guide only if you’re device did not receive the official OTA notification from Google. The new update is only 1.1MB and it brings the December bug fix, some Bluetooth errors are now fixed and there might some of other enhancement added to the overall performance of your device.
If you want to correctly install this JOP40D Jelly Bean Firwmare on your Galaxy Nexus ‘yakju’, then you should read the preparation guide below:
- This is a tutorial for the Galaxy Nexus ‘yakju’ model, which is the International GSM variant and it is different from the ‘takju’ model sold in Google’s US Play Store.
- To be able to flash this update, your device should be running on the Android 4.2 JOP40C Stock Firmware.
- Your phone should be unrooted as otherwise you cannot flash the new official JOP40D Jelly Bean OTA update.
- Galaxy Nexus I9250 has to run a stock recovery image and not some other custom ones.
- Make sure that your PC is running the correct Samsung USB drivers.
- Create backups of your most important files, so that in case something goes wrong during the update you won’t lose any data.
- Disable all the antivirus applications that you have installed on your computer. No other application should interfere with the update process.
- This is a guide for advanced Android users and you shouldn’t attempt to flash the update if you’re a novice.
- Remember that we cannot be held responsible in case something goes wrong and your PC gets bricked in the process.
- Read the entire post and make sure that you won’t skip any steps that I’ve listed as that will result in a failed update operation.
Now that you know all of the above, move to the tutorial guide below and learn how to successfully flash the new official OTA Jelly Bean update.
How to update Galaxy Nexus I9250 to Android 4.2.1 JOP40D Firware:
- Download the JOP40D Jelly Bean 4.2.1 firmware zip from HERE.
- Download the Fastboot zip from HERE. This is the tool that contains the adb drivers and you will use to flash the new update.
- Extract the Fastboot zip contents into a ‘Fastboot’ named folder. You will have 4 files in it now. Place the folder on your computer’s desktop screen for an easier access.
- Now move the ‘JOP40D firmware zip’ file to the Fastboot folder.
- Power off your Galaxy Nexus and then boot it into Stock Recovery mode. Do it by booting the bootloader mode first ( press volume up, volume down and power ). Use the volume keys to highlight the ‘Recovery mode’ option and then press Power to boot the stock recovery mode. A new screen will appear and now you have to press and hold Power, while at the same time you press Volume Up. This will make the recovery mode visible and you can get to the next step.
- Choose ‘apply update from adb option’ and after that you should connect your smartphone to your computer using the USB cable.
- After the drivers are installed on your PC, you need to open the Fastboot folder and then press and hold the Shift button. At the same time right-click on the folder’s white space and select ‘open command window here’. The Command Prompt window will now appear.
- Enter the following command lines in CMD screen to install the JOP40D Android 4.2.1 OTA update files:
- adb devices – this will load the Galaxy Nexus device ID and if this appears, then you can get to the next command.
- adb sideload 5f67f5ca4720.signed-yakju-JOP40D-from-JOP40C.5f67f5ca.zip – this will load the update files and when it gets to 100% you will see that the update will begin.
- When the update installs, you should select ‘reboot system now’ from the stock recovery menu.
- Now your phone will reboot when you see the boot animation logo, unplug the phone from PC.
- Your Galaxy Nexus will now boot into normal mode and you can start testing all the new features and functions of Android 4.2.1.
If the update doesn’t install at your first attempt, then you should repeat the entire tutorial once again. Also, you can choose to ask for more help by leaving a detailed comment at the end of this post. We will try to come up with a solution for any problem you might encounter.
Tell us in comments if your phone works better with this new Andorid 4.2.1 Jelly Bean update.