Android 4.1.2 OTA update continues to roll out for countries across the world with the latest ones being France and India. However, you can use this post to flash the latest Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean with the XXDLL4 OTA firmware version on any Samsung Galaxy Note 2 that’s International version. Read the entire post and you’ll find all the new features and functions and, how to successfully update your phablet with the latest official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 OS.
This is not a major release of Android 4.1.2 as it only brings enhanced performance and stability, improved Notification Toggles, Multi-View Disabling support, better Browser, Status Bar color is now black and not Grey, Brightness Slider can be disabled from the Notification panel, improved Samsung Keyboard, New Ink Effect for the LockScree and some other minor tweaks. If you find any other features that I forgot to list, then you can tell us in comments.
This is a guide to be used by users who don’t want to wait for the official update to be rolled out for their devices. If you don’t want to use this guide then you can simply check the System Update section in the Settings menu and hope that you’ll get the notification soon.
In order to successfully flash the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXDLL4 official stock firmware for the Galaxy Note 2 N7100, you need to read the guidelines below:
- Use this tutorial only with the International Unlocked version of Samsung Galaxy Note 2 which has the N7100 model number. Do not attempt to flash this OTA update on US/ LTE variants of this phone.
- If your device is rooted, then this update will revoke root access. NOTE: If you wish to root this XXDLL4 Android 4.1.2 firmware, then you might have to wait a few days until such tutorials will be made available.
- OPTIONAL: Create backups of all the functions that are currently stored on your device. The new OTA update might install successfully, but in case the phone cannot boot after flashing the firmware, then you will be forced to use the recovery mode to wipe the /system partition. That’s why you should move all important data to your phone’s internal / external SD card.
- Your computer should have the Samsung USB drivers installed. Without these files, your device cannot be recognized by Odin ( application that you’ll use to update your phablet ). Get the Samsung USB drivers for Windows 32bit – x86 or the Samsung USB drivers for Windows 64bit – x64. Alternatively, you can use the Samsung KIES software to add these USB drivers on to your computer, but you will have to disable the KIES program when Odin is running.
- Disable all the antivirus applications that are installed on your PC. Such apps will interfere with the updating process and you might be able to complete the XXDLL4 Android 4.1.2 installation on your Galaxy Note 2.
- Enable USB Debugging option from your device’s Developer Options menu.
- Note that we cannot be blamed if something goes wrong and the phablet gets bricked in the process. Nor can we be held responsible in case you lose any important data.
- Read all the info in this article and after that you should begin the update.
These were all the guidelines you had to read before moving to the next part of this post. In case you cannot complete the installation, then you should leave a detailed comment at the end of this post and we will try to come up with a proper solution to your problem.
How to install Android 4.1.2 XXDLL4 Jelly Bean OTA update on Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100:
- Download the XXDLL4 OTA update zip from HERE for FRANCE or, from HERE for India. You can use these downloads on any other version of International unlocked/ unbranded Galaxy Note 2 N7100 phone. It works for any country worldwide.
- After the XXDLL4 update zip is downloaded successfully, extract the contents and save them in a folder on your desktop screen. You should get a file with the ‘.tar’ or ‘.tar.md5′ file extension and you shouldn’t extract any further.
- Next, download Odin3 v3.04 from HERE. This is the app you’re going to use to flash the new update. After the file is downloaded you should unzip the files and save them in a folder on the desktop, just like you did with the firmware update files.
- Power off your Galaxy Note 2 completely.
- Boot it into Download Mode now. It can be done by pressing ‘volume down’, ‘home’ and ‘power’ buttons. When you see the Warning screen, release the buttons and press Volume Up once to load the Download Mode for Galaxy Note 2.
- Go to the Odin folder and launch the Odin3 v3.04 executable.
- Use the USB cable to connect your device to your computer. Now Odin should say display the ‘Added!!’ message. Get to the next step. NOTE: if the Added!! alert doesn’t show up then you will have to disconnect the phone from PC and then try to use another USB port or you can try to re-install the Samsung USB drivers.
- In Odin, click the ‘PDA’ button and then search for the XXDLL4 tar.md5 file. Load it into Odin. Make sure that ‘Re-partition’ option is not enabled in Odin. Also, do not change any other default options of Odin.
- Click the START button and Odin will begin to flash the new stock Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware on your Galaxy Note 2.
- The installation process will take under 5 minutes to complete. When that happens, you should see a PASS alert in Odin and the device will reboot.
- When the Samsung logo animation appears you can disconnect the phablet from PC. Wait for it to load into its new welcome screen and then you’re free to test the new Android 4.1.2 XXDLL4 Jelly Bean firmware update.
These were all the steps you had to take and you shouldn’t been able to flash all the files successfully. Now, if you hit any roadblocks then you should check the NOTEs below and you might find a solution, as otherwise you should ask for more help in comments.
NOTE: If ODIN freezes or it cannot complete the update by displaying the ‘FAIL’ allert, then you will have to unplug the smartphone from computer, then close ODIN and remove the device’s battery. Re-insert the battery after 5 seconds and then boot again into Download Mode. Now you have to repeat the entire tutorial starting with step 6 as these updates might not install at the first attempt and you should be able to flash all files successfully the second time.
NOTE2: In case ODIN says PASS but the phone cannot boot after restarting and it doesn’t go past the Samsung logo animation, then you will have to apply some extra steps and force it to boot normally. You will end up wiping the /system partition, which contains data like applications, SMS text messages, contacts etc and you will need to use the Stock Recovery mode. Read the instructions below to learn how to complete the boot:
- Power off the Galaxy Note 2 N7100 completely by removing its battery. Re-insert the battery after 5 seconds and then boot into Recovery mode.
- Press Volume up, Home and Power buttons at the same time. Release the buttons when the Recovery Mode menu appears.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and then confirm this action.
- Return to the main recovery menu when the factory reset process is complete.
- Select ‘reboot system now’.
- The device will boot into normal mode and that should be all.
These were all the steps that you had to take and now you should begin to test this new Android 4.1.2 XXDLL4 Jelly Bean OTA update. Tell us if you like it and which are its best features and functions.