Galaxy Note 2 has been released only a couple of days ago and it has already received a brand new firmware update that has the XXALJ1 codename. Use this guide to update your phone’s firmware to the latest Android 4.1.1 iteration which will bring the Multi View / Window feature for your Note 2 N7100.
This new OTA update was launched in South Korea only, but, now you can use this guide and manually apply it for your device. This version of the XXALJ1 firmware is internationally supported. You can easily install it by using the instructions that I have listed in this article. This version was pushed in France also and in case you’re installing it from another country, then you should now that you will be forced to wipe all data. More about this can be found in the preparation guide below as you will learn how to properly configure your computer and your device for the updating process.
Here’s what you need to know before manually flashing XXALJ1 Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean on your Galaxy Note 2:
- Make sure that your phone is the model number N7100. Verify this info by opening the Settings app and then checking the info listed under ‘About device’ menu. If your phone’s model number is different from N7100, then you should skip this article. it will not work with the US versions.
- If your device is rooted, then this update will revoke all root access.
- Install the Samsung USB drivers via KIES or by using the following download links for Windows 64 bit (x64) or for Windows 32 bit (x86) OS. Note that the Samsung KIES software shouldn’t be running when you’re installing the new firmware.
- Move all your important data files to your computer. The installation of XXALJ1 firmware might wipe all data from your phone.
- Sync your Phone Contacts with your Gmail account.
- Enable the USB Debugging option from your device’s Android Development menu.
- Remember to charge your device’s battery so that it won’t power off while you’re flashing the new firmware.
- Note that we cannot be blamed in case you damage your device in the process. Try to read the entire tutorial before starting to apply any steps.
- Begin the update only when you’re sure that you understand all the actions. In case you cannot complete the update and you hit any roadblocks, then you should ask for our help by posting in the comments section.
I think that these are all the guidelines you needed to read. Move to the next part of this post and learn how to update your Note 2 firmware.
Remember that you will have to use ODIN application and all antivirus programs should be disabled while you’re using it. Also, remember to disable KIES before connecting your device to your PC.
How to update Galaxy Note 2 N7100 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean Official XXALJ1 Firmware:
- Download the XXALJ1 Firmware zip from HERE. Save the file on your PC and after the download is complete you should extract its contents. You will get a ‘N7100XXALJ1_N7100OXXALJ1_N7100XXALIH_HOME.tar.md5‘ file or only a ‘.tar’ file. Move to the next step.
- Download the ODIN 3.04 file from HERE. Extract its files into a single folder and save the file on your PC.
- Power off the Galaxy Note 2 device that you’re about to update.
- Boot the Galaxy Note 2 into Download Mode by pressing at the same time ‘volume down’, ‘home’ and ‘power’ buttons. When the Warning!! menu appears, release the buttons and then press only ‘Volume up’ to select the boot of Download Mode.
- Launch the ODIN executable file and after that connect your device to your PC using the USB cable. ODIN window should display a message that says ‘added!!’, which means that the phone has been recognized by the computer and you can move to the next step. If it doesn’t say ‘added!!’ then you should change the USB ports or you should re-try to install the USB drivers.
- If the phablet device was recognized, then you can click the ‘PDA’ button in ODIN and browse for the ‘N7100XXALJ1_N7100OXXALJ1_N7100XXALIH_HOME.tar.md5‘ file. Load the file and then make sure that you don’t change any other default options of ODIN. Also, make sure that the ‘Re-Partition’ option is NOT ENABLED.
- Press START to begin the updating process of your device. Don’t touch any buttons and wait for ODIN to display the ‘PASS’ message.
- The Galaxy Note 2 will restart and when the Samsung boot logo appears, you can unplug the device from your PC.
- Wait for the boot process to complete as this might take several minutes. After that you should see the new welcome screen and you will take control over your phone, once again.
That’s it, you’ve successfully updated your device to this latest Android 4.1.1 XXALJ1 firmware.
NOTE: In case ODIN doesn’t update the phone, it freezes or you are shown the ‘FAIL’ message, then the update wasn’t installed and you should unplug the phone from PC, close the program, remove the phone’s battery for 5 seconds, re-insert it back in its place and then boot again into Download Mode. Repeat the entire tutorial starting with step 4.
NOTE 2: If ODIN does show the ‘PASS’ message and the Note 2 device restarts but, instead of booting into normal Jelly Bean home screen, it displays only the boot logo for over 10 minutes than you will need to apply the steps below. You will need to wipe data and factory reset the device but, this action will wipe all data, installed apps, sms and all other files from your device.
Here’s how to boot into custom recovery mode and wipe data/ factory reset the Note 2:
- Power off the phone completely.
- Boot into custom Recovery mode by pressing ‘volume up’ + ‘home’ + ‘power’ buttons. Release the buttons only when the screen powers ON.
- After that you need to select the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option from recovery menu and confirm that you wish to apply it.
- Return to the main recovery screen and select ‘reboot system now’.
- Your phone should now boot normally and you will be able to use your phone and test the XXALJ1 Jelly Bean 4.1.1 update along with the Multi View feature.
These were all the instructions that I had for you and now you should begin to test this new firmware update and after that remember to tell us in comments if you like it.
For any extra questions, leave a detailed comment at the end of this post and we will happily answer to all of them.