The first edition of the Galaxy Note device has received its own CM 10.2 Nightly build ROM. Now you can use this guide and learn how to update the device easily only in ten minutes.
Take a look at the guidelines listed below in order to learn how to successfully update your Galaxy Note with this new ROM. Here’s what you need to know:
- Note that the tutorial and the files you find in it will work exclusively with the International Samsung Galaxy Note model number N7000, the first phone version in the Galaxy Note series.
- Don’t try to update any other devices using the info I’ve listed in this post, as you will end up bricking those other devices.
- The Galaxy Note that you’re about to update must have the CWM or TWRP Recovery installed on it. Also, it has to be rooted and factory unlocked. If your phone doesn’t meet these requirements then you can’t use this guide.
- The ‘how-to’ guide will ask you to factory reset the device, which is why you should know that the system partition will be wiped completely.
- The internal SD card won’t be affected by the factory reset.
- The installed apps data, call logs info, contacts, SMS and other similar files will be removed in the process.
- Backup installed applications data using the Helium tool (here) from Google Play Store or, you can choose to use Titanium Backup app (here). Note that the Titanium Backup application might not be compatible with the Samsung Galaxy Note and CM 10.2 ROMs.
- If you’re planning on saving SMS, Call Logs info or APN Internet Settings, then you will be glad to learn that the following tools will be very helpful: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Note that root access is needed for some of these small apps.
- Also, sync the Contacts info with your phone’s default Gmail account. This process will backup all your saved phone numbers and contacts data.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- Make sure that your device’s battery has enough power left before completely switching off.
- Read the entire post and make sure that you don’t skip any steps.
- This is a guide for more advanced users. You cannot held us responsible in case you lose any data in the process nor in case you brick the device.
These were all the guidelines you had to go over before continuing to the next part of this tutorial. Note that in case you cannot complete the update, then you can ask for extra instructions in comments at the end of this post.
How to install Official CM 10.2 Nightly ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Note N7000:
- Download the CM 10.2 Nightly ROM from here.
- make sure to download the latest available build.
- do not extract the zip files.
- Now download the Gapps for Android 4.3 Custom ROMs from here.
- Gapps has to be flashed so that you will be able to use all Google-based applications with your new CM 10.2 ROM.
- do not unzip this file.
- Connect your device with your computer via USB Data cable. Move both files to your phone’s internal sd card.
- After you complete the transfer, disconnect the Galaxy Note from your PC.
- Power off the phone now and boot into CWM or TWRP Recovery Mode:
- note that both CWM and TWRP Recovery images are supported by this tutorial.
- When you’re at the main recovery screen you will need to create a full NANDROID Backup of your current ROM:
- TWRP Recovery: press Backup, select the system data you want to save. Confirm.
- CWM Recovery: select ‘backup and restore’, use the backup option and confirm the process.
> this file can be used in case your device doesn’t boot into normal mode with the new ROM or in case you don’t like the new CM 10.2 Nightly ROM.
- Next thing to do is to apply the ‘factory reset’ for your Galaxy Note:
- TWRP Recovery: press Wipe button, then press the Factory Reset. Confirm and wait until the process is complete.
- CWM Recovery: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm.
> note: if your phone is already running on a previous build of CM 10.2 Nightly then you can skip this step.
> if you device doesn’t boot with the new ROM and you’ve skipped ‘factory reset’ then you will need to return to this step and apply it.
- Now you can finally install the CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly ROM:
- TWRP Recovery: press Install. Browse the internal storage for the CM 10.2 ROM and load it into TWRP. Confirm the installation.
- CWM Recovery: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CM 10.2 Nightly ROM and confirm this process.
> the installation shouldn’t take longer than 5 minutes to complete.
- When the CM 10.2 Nightly ROM has finished to install all of its new files, you can flash the Gapps file as well. Use the same actions and buttons as in step 8.
- After all the new files have been successfully installed, return to the main custom Recovery mode. Reboot your smartphone now.
- wait for the first boot process to complete, as it shouldn’t take longer than 10 minutes to load all files.
- if the first boot takes more than 10-15 minutes to complete or your Galaxy Note enters into a boot loop, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again or ask for more help in comments.
- Enter your Google Account details when the CM 10.2 Nightly home screen is shown. Take control over your device and start all the new features and functions.
I hope that you’ve managed to update your phone. For any problems or errors encountered while installing the CM 10.2 Nightly on your Galaxy Note, use the comments field at the end of this post.
If you don’t like this new ROM or you find any major bugs or errors, then you can easily restore it to its previous ROM using the ROM NANDROID Backup file created in step 6. Use the same custom Recovery Mode to restore the device.