Samsung Galaxy S Advance has received the new official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware OTA Update. Use this tutorial to learn how to successfully flash this new XXLQE firmware on your device.
Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXLQE is a new firmware that has been made available for the Poland, Ukraine and Germany. Other countries will receive it soon enough. However, those of you who don’t want to wait can easily upgrade your Galaxy S Advance phones using the instructions listed below. The build date of this new firmware update is April 9th, 2013, it brings improved Google Now, enhanced notifications panel, buttery smooth interface and multiple other new features.
In order to make sure that you successfully flash the firmware update, you will need to go over these guidelines:
- use this tutorial only with the Samsung Galaxy S Advance model number I9070. Don’t try to use the instructions with any other Android devices.
- this guide will revoke root access, which means that you will have to re-root the new firmware after installing it.
- your device has to be factory unlocked.
- make sure that your computer has the Samsung USB Drivers installed on it. This will make sure that your phone will be recognized by your computer allowing you to successfully flash a brand new firmware.
- enable the USB debugging option from the Android Developer Options. Note that after you upgrade your device to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean, you will notice that the Developer Option menu will be gone. In order to restore it, you will have to open Settings, then About device and tap 7 times on the Build Number section.
- the phone’s battery should be charged and its power levels need to be over 50%. This will prevent the phone from powering off in the middle of the updating process.
- disable all antivirus applications from running on your computer.
- backup all your most important files before updating the phone.
- don’t skip any steps that I have listed in this post.
- in case you cannot complete the update, then you should ask for more help in comments.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to prepare your device for the updating process.
How to install stock Android 4.1.2 XXLQE Jelly Bean for the Samsung Galaxy S Advance I9070:
- Download the XXLQE firmware for the region you wish to use:
> XXLQE Jelly Bean for Germany here.
> XXLQE Jelly Bean for Poland here.
>XXLQE Jelly Bean for Ukraine here.
- After the download is complete, extract the contents of the zip and place them all in a single folder.
- Next, download ODIN 3.07 from here. Extract the contents of this zip.
- Power off your smartphone.
- Boot it into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power at the same time. Release the buttons when the warning menu appears, then press Volume Up to confirm the boot into Download Mode.
- Launch ODIN executable.
- Connect your smartphone to your PC now using the USB cable. ODIN should say that the phone has been ‘added!!’. If the confirmation message doesn’t show up, then you should change the USB ports or reinstall the Samsung USB drivers for your device. If the device has been recognized, continue to the next step.
- Click the ‘PDA’ button in ODIN.
- Load the I9070XXLQE firmware .tar.md5 file into ODIN. Don’t change any default settings of ODIN, make sure that the Re-partition option is disabled.
- When you’re ready, you should simply click the ‘START’ button and wait until the new ROM is successfully installed.
- After the files are successfully loaded, you should see the ‘PASS’ alert from ODIN and the phone will be restarted. It should boot into normal mode and you can unplug the phone from computer.
- These were all the steps that you had to take in order to install the XXLQE Android 4.1.2 JB for your Samsung Galaxy S Advance.
- As you might not have installed a firmware that corresponds with your native language, then you can easily change the default language. Open Settings, the About and use the Language and Text input.
If the phone didn’t boot into normal mode or ODIN said ‘FAIL’, then it means that the update wasn’t completed and you should power off the device completely. Close ODIN. Now, you will have to repeat the entire tutorial and attempt a second time to flash the new firmware.
You can ask for extra help in comments in case you cannot complete the installation. Make sure to leave a detailed comment explaining exactly which steps you took and where you got stuck. I will try to offer you the best possible solution.