Update Samsung Galaxy S GT I9000 Using SLIM ICS Android 4.0.3 Custom ROM Firmware
SGS GT I9000 is capable of running the Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 but only if it is a custom ROM firmware, as Samsung announced last year that there won’t be any official ICS for one of their most popular devices. Some guys have managed to create a custom ROM ICS that can be easily applied on your SGS GT I9000. All the instructions that you need are listed in this tutorial guide.
The ‘SLIM ROM’ ICS for GT I9000 doesn’t come packed with that many features, but still it works and if you’re a fan of Android’s upcoming OS edition then you should install it on your device. There won’t be any official release of Android ICS for Galaxy S and this means that you’re only chance to experience some of its feature is to install such customized ROM firmware, despite the fact that some functions are limited or lacking completely.
To install the SLIM ICS Update on SGS GT I9000, it has to be rooted with the XXJVU firmware because otherwise the update cannot be applied successfully. Also, the only supported smartphone is the GT I9000 model, which means that if you’re model says I9000B or I9000T the instructions won’t work for them. The main feature that are also working are listed below:
- it supports five languages: English US and English UK, French, Deutsch, Spanish and Italian.
- Android Market 3.4.4 that can be upgraded to Google’s new Play Store.
- Zeam Launcher
- default Google applications are now stock
- Team Hacksung Kernel
- Bluetooth, GPS, 2G and 3G, Wi-Fi and Data are supported
- supports USB and Wifi tethering
- phone calling is supported, obviously.
There are numerous small applications, features and functions that are incorporated in the SLIM ICS custom ROM firmware and you will be able to use them after the update is complete. Before starting to apply this update you need to read the info listed below in order to prepare your device and computer for the installation of the OS on your device. Here’s what you need to do:
- backup all the data that is currently stored on your phone, as that might get lost during the updating process
- try and backup your SMS texts, contacts, call logs etc.
- save all the APN and MMS settings so that after the update is complete you will be able to connect to the internet.
- disable all firewalls and antivirus/ antimalware software that are currently enabled. This will prevent other software from interfering with the updating process.
- make sure that you’re device is rooted and it runs the XXJVU base firmware.
- enable USB debugging mode by going to Settings, then Applications, open Development and ticking the USB Debugging option.
- charge the SGS GT I9000 at least until it reaches 80% so that it won’t switch off during the firmware update.
Now that you know all this, you can move to the first step of the tutorial guide.
How to update the Samsung Galaxy S with SLIM ROM Android 4.0.3 ICS custom ROM firmware:
- First thing that you need is the SLIM ROM pack for the ICS firmware. Click the link and wait until the download is complete.
- Now, connect your phone to your computer using the USB data cable. Move the zip you downloaded at step 1 to your phone’s internal/external SD Card. Place it outside of any directory.
- Disconnect the phone from your PC and then Power it OFF.
- Now you need to boot it into recovery mode. Do it by pressing the Volume Up Key and Menu button and then press the Power button.
- When in recovery mode you need to select ‘Wipe data/ factory reset’ and then ‘wipe cache partition’.
- After the cache has been wiped and the phone has been factory reset you have to select the option that says ‘install zip from sd card’. Now select ‘choose zip from sd card’ and then select the SLIM ROM ICS firmware zip that you moved there at step 2. Now your device will begin the updating process to Android ICS.
- When the update has been completed, your GT I9000 will either reboot or it will take you back to recovery mode display. In case you’re redirected to the recovery mode screen you will need to select the ‘+++Go Back+++’ option. Now select ‘reboot system now’ and the SGS GT I9000 will be rebooted.
- The device will power on and after the home screen appear you will need to power it OFF again and remove the battery. Put it back ON and then boot your phone in recovery mode again. Repeat the steps listed at step 5 and then reboot your device and wait until it loads the Galaxy S new custom ICS screen.
Now that you’ve completed all the steps above, the Galaxy S GT I9000 should feature the Android ICS Custom SLIM 4.0.3 Firmware. You’re free to customize its interface and install you’re favorite applications, games etc. Also, make sure to restore all the data you’ve previously backed up before the starting the updating process. For any questions please use the comments field.
In case the update wasn’t applied, then you must’ve done something wrong. You should repeat all the steps listed above and, this time try to read carefully every single step as previously you might have overlooked a step or two, which prevented the SLIM ROM update to install successfully.