Update Samsung Galaxy S I9000 to Android 4.3 using Official CM 10.2 Nightly
The Samsung Galaxy S I9000 has received its own version of CM 10.2 Nightly from the CyanogenMod team. Use this tutorial and learn how to successfully update it without bricking it. Make sure that you know how to use a custom recovery, as this guide shouldn’t be used by novices.
Official CM 10.2 Nightlies are based on AOSP Android 4.3 Jelly Bean. In order to make sure that you install this new custom ROM successfully, then you should first take a look at the preparation guide below:
- Use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S I9000.
- Don’t try to use this tutorial with any other smartphone as you will end up bricking it.
- The Galaxy S International I9000 device that you want to update has to be rooted, factory unlocked and CWM or TWRP Recovery needs to be installed on it, as otherwise this guide will fail.
- For this new ROM to install correctly you will need to apply a ‘factory reset’, a process that deletes all contents from your device’s system partition, while leaving the internal and external storage unaffected.
- Backup installed apps data with Helium from Google Play Store or with Titanium Backup tool.
- Backup SMS, Call Logs info and APN Internet Settings with these apps for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access is needed for some of these tools.
- Backup all saved phone numbers and other Contacts info by syncing such data with your Gmail account. Guide can be found here for those who don’t know how to do it.
- Enable USB Debugging from the Android Developer Options section under phone’s Settings menu.
- Make sure that your smartphone’s battery power levels are over 50% so that the device won’t switch off while you’re attempting to update its firmware.
- This tutorial is for more advanced Android users, which is why you should use it only in case you know what you’re doing.
- For more help use the comments section.
How to flash CM 10.2 Nightly ROM for Samsung Galaxy I9000:
- Download the CyanogenMod 10.2 latest Nightly build from here.
- don’t unzip the file.
- Download ‘gapps’ for Android 4.3 custom ROMs from here.
- flash this file in order to successfully add all the Google based applications.
- Connect the Galaxy S with your PC, then move both zip files on its internal storage.
- after the files are moved you will need to disconnect the phone from PC.
- Power off your Galaxy S now.
- Boot it into CWM or TWRP Recovery Mode.
- both custom recovery images will work with this guide.
- First you need to create the NANDROID Backup file for the currently installed ROM:
- CWM: select ‘backup and restore option’, then backup the file to your phone’s internal storage. Confirm.
- TWRP: press Backup, then select the system files you want to save. Confirm.
> when the backup is complete you need to continue to the next step.
- Next, apply the factory reset:
- CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
- TWRP: press Wipe, then Factory Reset. Confirm.
> if your device already runs on a previous CM 10.2 Nightly build, then there is no need for you to factory reset the device. If that’s the case the you should skip this step.
- Now that you’ve completed all of the above, you can finally flash the CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly ROM for your Galaxy S I9000:
- CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CM 10.2 Nightly zip and confirm its installation.
- TWRP: press Install, then browse your phone’s internal storage and load the CM 10.2 Nightly zip. Confirm that you want to install it by swiping the blue button at the bottom of the screen.
- When the CM 10.2 Nightly ROM has been installed with success, you will need to repeat step 8 actions in order to flash Gapps zip as well.
- Return to your smartphone’s main menu when both zip files have been flashed successfully.
- Reboot your smartphone now into normal mode.
- Enter your Google Account details when asked and then you can start testing and customizing all the home screens and other interface parts to improve your Jelly Bean 4.3 experience.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the installation. For any other extra questions, use the comments section below.
NOTE: since this CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly ROM is based on the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, then you will surely experience problems with the battery life. That’s because the new operating system from Google requires tons of memory in order to work with your Galaxy S I9000 phone.
If you don’t like how your device’s manages this new CM build, then you can always use the NANDROID backup files created in step 6 in order to restore it to its previous ROM.