Update Samsung Galaxy S I9000 to AOKP Jelly Bean Build 3 custom ROM
Galaxy S I9000 has received a new AOKP jelly bean update and you should use the instructions that I have listed in this post in order to get this latest custom ROM on your device. Do not attempt to install this update on another Galaxy S variant, use it only for the I9000 smartphone.
This update comes with new features and functions, fixed bugs and multiple other tweaks were added to the already present features. In case you find any errors or bugs while using this ROM please leave them in our comments field. Before you begin to install the new ROM, you should first read the preparation guide. You will learn how to correctly configure your device and how to save the important apps, SMS and other important files that are currently stored on your device. Here’s what you need to know:
- Install this AOKP JB custom ROM only on the Samsung Galaxy S model number I9000. Do not install this update on other Android devices, as it won’t work. Verify your device’s model number by opening Settings and then checking the info listed under the ‘about device’ menu.
- The I9000 phone should be rooted and running a custom Recovery mode.
- Backup all the data stored on your phone by moving onto the internal sdcard. Also, use the following tools to backup the installed apps, SMS, Call logs and the APN internet settings: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android. Some of these apps are only available for rooted devices.
- Sync all your Contacts with your Gmail account. This will prevent any phone numbers from being lost in the process. To restore all Contacts info you simply need to re-enter the same Google account that you had before.
- Enable USB debugging option.
- Charge your device’s battery so that it won’t power off in the middle of the updating process.
- Note that this tutorial should be applied only by advanced Android users and you shouldn’t to install it if you’re a novice.
- Read the entire guide and don’t skip any steps that I have listed in it. Note that it is recommended for you to use ROM Manager or CWM Recovery in order to create a full Nandroid backup of the currently installed ROM. If you don’t know how to do this, then you should proceed to the tutorial as you will find a step that tells you how to use CWM Recovery.
- We cannot be blamed in case you damage your device in the process. Use the comments to ask for help.
These are all the guidelines that you had to read and now you can begin the installation.
How to install AOKP JB build 3 custom ROM on Galaxy S I9000
- Download the custom ROM zip file from HERE.
- Download the Gapps for Jelly Bean zip HERE. Make sure that you download the file for Jelly Bean and not the ones for ICS or Gingerbread. Save both the ROM and Gapps zip on your Pc and do not extract the contents.
- Connect your I9000 to your PC and move the files downloaded at steps 1 and 2 on its internal SD Card. Disconnect the device from PC.
- Power off your smartphone, as you need to boot it into CWM Recovery. Do it by pressing ‘volume up’ + ‘home’ + ‘power’ buttons. When the screen powers on you can release the buttons.
- After ClockworkMod Recovery screen loads you can select the ‘backup and restore’ option and create a full Nandroid backup of your existing ROM. When the backup is complete you can return to the main recovery menu.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and then you need to confirm this step. After the data wiping is complete you can move to the next step.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and after that select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Browse for the AOKP Build 3 JB file and install it.
- When the ROM has installed successfully, you should select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and install the Gapps for Jelly Bean zip.
- After you’ve successfully flashed both files, you can return to the main recovery screen and select ‘reboot system now’.
- Your device was successfully updated and the only thing left to do is to wait for the first boot process into AOKP JB to complete. It shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes. In case the first boot takes too long, then you should power off the phone and then repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- If the update was successfully flashed, you will be taken to the main Jelly Bean home screen and the only left to do is to enter your Google account and take control voer your device.
- Restore all your data files and the Contacts and that should be all. You have successfully updated your device.
I hope that this guide was helpful and that you’ve managed to apply all the instructions that I have listed.
In case you don’t like this custom ROM, then you should use the ROM Manager or CWM Recovery and restore the backup of the previously installed ROM. If you have any other questions, please use the comments section at the end of this post.