Samsung Galaxy S I9000 has received support for CM9 for some time now, and we were asked to create a working guide that teaches users how to update it to the latest Android 4.0.4 CM9 Nightly build. Make sure to read the entire tutorial and you should be able to it, if you’re equipped with the basic Android customization skills.
The CyanogenMod 9 is the latest ROM project edition released for Android smartphones and it based on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich firmware. Upgrading to CM9 will improve the performances of your SGS I9000, despite the fact that Samsung decided against releasing an official ICS ROM for this device. Before we can begin to install this new ROM you will have to read the preparation guide and learn how to properly configure your phone for the updating process. Also, note that by upgrading your SGS with CM9 Nightly will void your device’s warranty and it can be restored only if you return to a stock Gingerbread firmware.
Now that you know all this, you are free to move to the preparation guide to learn how to prepare the Galaxy S I9000 for the update process. Here’s what you need to know and what actions you need to take before moving to the ‘how to update’ guide:
- Your phone should be rooted and CWM Recovery installed on it. If yours isn’t then you can use our rooting guide here. After the root is complete you will have to return to this post and learn how to update to CM9 Nightly ROM.
- You will have to wipe all data and perform a factory reset and this means that you should backup all your important files, like audio and video recordings, ebooks, photos, presentations, bookmarks, pdf and text files, and all other ones, by moving them on your phone’s internal or external sdcard. These will remain unchanged after while updating the ROM.
- Installed Applications, SMS text messages and call logs can easily be saved on your phone’s internal / external sdcard using these specific Android tools: AppBak application | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore.
- Phone Contacts should also be synced with your Gmail, but, if you don’t know how to do that, then you should use this guide.
- The APN Settings info need to be saved so that in case the Internet isn’t working after you update, you will be able to restore the apps’ correct values. Here’s an app that helps you do exactly that.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery is fully charged.
- You can CWM Recovery, ROM Manager or any other similar tool to backup your current ROM. This will be extremely helpful if you brick the phone or the update corrupts your phone, as then you can use those apps to restore the working ROM firmware.
Now that you know all this info, I think that you’re ready to move to the tutorial guide. Note that neither we, not the Cyanogenmod Team can be held blamed if you damage your phone and some files are removed or corrupted during the update process. You need to read the entire tutorial twice, and if even then you are unable to update to CM9 Nightly ROM then you should ask for help in our comments field.
How to update Galaxy S I9000 to Official CM9 Nightly build firmware:
- Download the CM9 Nightly ROM zip file. Save it on your computer’s desktop. Do not extract its files.
- Download the Google Apps zip. Make sure to download the latest Google apps zip file for CM9. This file needs to flashed after you install the ROM. Save the zip on your PC and do not extract its contents.
- Now, connect your SGS to your computer and move the above zip files on your phone’s internal sd card.
- Power off the phone. We will need to boot into CWM Recovery.
- Enter recovery mode by pressing ‘volume up’ + ‘home’ + ‘power’ buttons, all at the same time.
- When in recovery mode, you should first select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm this.
- Next, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and in the new screen select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ or ‘choose zip from internal sdcard’. It depends on the location where you’ve saved the CM9 ROM zip file.
- Select the ROM zip file for installation. Confirm the process and then wait until this process completes.
- When the update is successful, you will need to return to the main recovery screen.
- Select again ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the Gapps zip and confirm that you want to flash it. This will install the Gtalk, Google Play Store and other Google based applications that you need to correctly control and manage your Galaxy S phone.
- After the Gapps file is installed successfully you will have to return to the main recovery menu and select ‘reboot system now’.
- Wait for the CM9 Nightly first boot to load your Android home screen. Complete the setup wizard and you’re done, this was the last step you had to take in order to update the ROM firmware.
Note that in case the first boot process cannot complete then it means you haven’t applied the update correctly, and now you have to repeat the entire tutorial all over again from step 1. Make sure to wipe the data before installing the CM9 Nightly ROM firmware.
If you have any other questions then you should leave a comment and I’ll help complete the update and install CM9 Nightly on your Samsung Galaxy S I9000, which will add the Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich software over your former Gingerbread-based device.