Update Samsung Galaxy S I9000 to RemICS JB custom Android 4.1 ROM
The Jelly Bean 4.1 firmware was released some time ago and since then there were numerous devices that received updates and you might have thought an ‘old’ Galaxy S I9000 might not receive new custom ROMs that are based on ICS and Jelly Bean, but the guys of Team RemICS created working custom ROM for it. Use the instructions I’ve listed in this article and you will learn how to successfully flash the RemICS-JB custom ROM on your Galaxy S without too much trouble.
This new custom ROM installation for I9000 is using an UI that looks very similar to the one Samsung used for the S3 and it seems to work great and the most important part is that you can use it and get Jelly Bean on your device. It is a small ROM and it should work with your device without too much trouble. However, note that for the moment, this ROM is in its beta stage and it might still present some bugs or some features that weren’t optimized until now.
Before you can move to the tutorial, you should read the instructions listed below and you will learn what you need to do so that you’ll manage to flash this update at your first attempt along with learning what apps you can use to backup applications, APN Settinsgs, Phone Contacts, SMS etc.
Since you’ve all this general info, I think that you can now move to the preparation part and learn what steps to take and make sure that your Galaxy S I9000 is ready for the installation of RemICS-JB custom ROM. Here’s what you need to know:
- flash this custom ROM only on the Samsung Galaxy S model number I9000. Don’t try to install it on any other phones or any other Android device. To find your phone’s model number, you should open Settings and then open the ‘About phone’ menu.
- in the tutorial guide you will find a step that will ask you to wipe data/ factory reset. This means that all installed apps and some other files will be removed and that’s why you should move all important files on your device’s internal sdcard, as this one part will be left unchanged by the factory reset step.
- to backup applications, SMS, Call Logs and the APN internet settings you will need to use these tools for Android: AppBAK for Android apps backup | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- since this custom ROM is still in its beta phase, you shouldn’t install it without creating a full backup of the ROM you’re currently have installed on your I9000 phone. If you don’t like this new ROM you will be able to restore the backup and you’ll be back to the working one.
- Sync your store phone contacts and numbers with your Gmail account.
- Before beginning to install this ROM you should charge its battery so that it won’t power OFF during the update as that will result in a fail and you will be forced to start all over again.
- Enable USB Debugging option on your phone.
- Disable / remove the SIM card lock if this is enabled. Open Settings, then Location and Security and make sure that the ‘sim card lock’ option isn’t checked.
- For users that are currently running a Gingerbread ROM: Make sure that you’re phone is on the XXJW4 firmware. If not, then use this guide HERE to install it. After that you should root it using this guide HERE. Now that you’ve done these two steps you can install the new custom ROM.
- Users with ICS ROM on their Galaxy S I9000 should skip the actions listed at the previous step.
- Remember that we cannot be held responsible if you damage your phone and that you are the one taking risks by installing this custom ROM. Make sure that in case you hit any roadblocks then you will tell us in comments, so that we’ll try to help you overcome them and flash this RemICS-JB ROM on your I9000 smartphone.
Now that you know all of the above, I think that you should move to the tutorial. After you install this ROM you should test it and return to our website and tell us what new features impressed you and how is Jelly Bean 4.1 working with your phone. Also, if you want more Galaxy S I9000 guides, you should click the device’s name link; it is the one listed under this article’s featured image.
Install RemICS-JB custom ROM on your Galaxy S I9000
- Download the custom ROM zip file HERE. When the download is finished, you shouldn’t extract the contents comprised within the zip archive.
- Now move this file to your phone’s internal SDcard. After the transfer of the custom ROM zip is complete, you should disconnect the phone from your PC and then power it OFF completely.
- Boot into CWM Recovery by holding simultaneously ‘volume up’ + ‘home’ + ‘power’ buttons, and when you notice that the display powered ON you should release the buttons as the custom recovery menu will load.
- When you’re at ClockworkMod Recovery main screen you should select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm the process.
- When the data was deleted you should select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Locate the custom ROM zip file and then install it.
- When the installation of the RemICS – JB custom ROM is finished you need to return to the main custom recovery menu.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait for the first boot process into this new firmware completes. NOTE: the first boot process will take at least 5 minutes to complete, but, in case it takes over 12 minutes, then it means that the ROM wasn’t installed and you will be forced to repeat this entire tutorial once again.
- If all went according to plan, then your phone should go past the Samsung Galaxy S I9000 boot logo and load the Jelly Bean home screen. Enter your Google account details and you’ll be done, now you can begin to test Google’s latest Android 4.1 OS release.
After you install the ROM, you should use the same apps listed in the preparation guide and restore all your important files back to your phone. If you have any other questions, use the comments section and we will answer you.
If you don’t like the Team RemICS – JB custom ROM and how it works with your I9000 Galaxy S, then you should use the backup file of the previous ROM and restore it. This will take only 5 minutes to complete.