The Samsung Galaxy S Plus users should be enthusiastic as a new OS update was released for their smartphone. But no, it’s not the Ice Cream Sandwich as many of us were thinking, though I’m guessing that it will also be launched in the coming days or weeks, so keep your finger crossed. We have all the reasons for believing this, due to the numerous versions of the Android 4.0 updates, which have been made available for different handsets, like the Samsung Galaxy Ace, the Galaxy S 2, or the HTC Velocity. Further aspects can be discovered by checking our previous guides; take a look.
Anyway, until then, this XXKQ7 Gingerbread 2.3.6 Firmware is all we get. Therefore, during the present tutorial, I will show you how to safely install this update on your Samsung Galaxy S Plus, all being explained so can everybody understand what to do. Don’t worry, as the operation will only take a couple of minutes from your time, so you will be back on track in the shortest time possible.
Make sure you read all the lines from the guide; if not you may skip something important and your phone might get damaged, or other unpleasant situations might appear. In this case you will be on your own, so follow my directions and do all as detailed in the steps from below. As a final note, this OS update, named as XXKQ7, is still on the beta stage, meaning that your device won’t support the KIES after the update, but once you revert back to the original firmware, your device will be detected in KIES PC Suite.
Now, in order to make things right, you need to have a Windows / MAC / Linux running computer, the Galaxy S Plus and its USB cable. Then, on the PC and on the phone there are some stuffs that needs to be prepared. Check and do as in the list:
- Updating the smartphone will make you lose the data stored on its storage memory. That’s why you must first backup the handset data, contacts, messages, calendar info and apps. The backup procedure can be completed in many ways, but in order to do it properly you can use the tools provided on the Market, or some services developed by Google, like the cloud.
- The power left in your handset must be at least70%. If not go and charge the battery and then return here.
- Uninstall the security tools from both, the computer and the smartphone. These programs are usually interrupting the update.
- Enable USB Debugging in your smartphone. For completing this go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- The update can be applied only if the Galaxy S Plus is rooted. If not, check our previous step by step guides and see how to complete this too.
Finally, you can proceed to the next section of our tutorial (to the one that interest you the most): “How To Update the Samsung Galaxy S Plus with the XXKQ7 Gingerbread 2.3.6 Firmware”.
- First, you need to download the files needed. Go here, and get the XXKQ7 Firmware Package; save it to the computer.
- Then, extract the files and check if you have the following: Odin 3 v1.83, SS_DL.dll and the XXKQ7 file, which is ending with the extension .tar.md5.
- On the computer open Odin.
- Disconnect the phone from the computer.
- Turn it off.
- Reboot the Galaxy S Plus and enter in download mode. The download mode can be accessed by holding down (simultaneously) the Volume Down Key and the OK button while pressing the Power one.
- Connect the handset with the PC by using the USB cord.
- Once the device is connected, you will see the “ID : COM” section (from Odin) turning yellow which means that all the drivers have been successfully installed and you are ready to proceed for the next step.
- Click on the option named “PDA” to select the update file.
- Then click on “Start” in order to begin the installation process.
- In the end, the smartphone will reboot on its own.
- Then, disconnect the handset from the PC and turn it off.
- Reboot it by entering in recovery mode: hold down (simultaneously) the Volume Down Key and the OK button while pressing on the Power one.
- In recovery mode, select “Wipe data/factory reset” (this is why you need to do a backup) followed by “Wipe Cache partition” (this will erase the cache from your device).
- Select “reboot system now”.
There you have it; that was the how to procedure in which you can install the XXKQ7 Gingerbread 2.3.6 Firmware on your Samsung Galaxy S Plus smartphone. Hope that everything went as planned and without any kinds of issues. If not share the problems with us.