Update Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 to Official AOKP JB-MR1 build 3 (Android 4.2.1 ROM)
Galaxy S2 model number I9100 has received its own AOKP JB MR1 build 3ROM. Now you can use this tutorial to learn how to successfully flash the custom ROM on your device. Make sure to read the entire post and that you won’t skip any steps that I have listed.
The new AOKP Milestone Release build 3 comes with new features and functions. You will get 3 different UI modes, the phablet, tablet and phone modes. Also there will be some new small features, you can find out more by going to AOKP’s webpage.
Here’s what you need to know before starting the updating process:
- Use this tutorial only with the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100. Do not attempt to install this custom ROM on any other device.
- Your phone should be rooted and running a custom Recovery image such as CWM or TWRP.
- Use the custom Recovery mode to create a full NANDROID backup of your current ROM. This will act as cover in case the phone doesn’t boot after installing the AOKP JB-MR1 build 3 ROM.
- Backup all your important data files by moving them on your phone’s internal sdcard or on your computer.
- This guide will delete the /system partition, which means that you will lose installed apps, SMS, Call Logs and other data. That’s why you can use the following tools to backup such data: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application.
- Sync your Contacts with your Gmail account.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery is charged and that the device won’t power off in the middle of the updating process.
- Note that we cannot be blamed if you brick the phone or you lose any files in the process.
- In case you cannot complete the installation, then you should ask for more help in comments.
NOTE: if your device is already running an official AOKP Jelly Bean ROM developer by the Android Open Kang Project team, then you can install this new build without applying the ‘factory reset’ step.
How to update Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 with AOKP JB MR1 build 3 custom ROM:
- Download the ROM from HERE. Save the file on your PC and don’t extract its contents.
- Download the Gapps for Android 4.2.1 from HERE. You have to flash this file after you install the ROM. Don’t unzip.
- Connect the Galaxy S2 to your PC and then move the downloaded files on its internal SDcard. Disconnect it from PC and then power off the device.
- Boot your phone into Custom Recovery mode. I’m using the CWM recovery to install the ROM.
- OPTIONAL: Create a NANDROID backup of your current ROM using the ‘backup and restore’ option. If you already have one then you you can skip this step.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’. After that select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and then find the AOKP JB MR1 build 3 ROM. Confirm the installation.
- Now, select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and find the Gapps for Android 4.2.1 ROMs file. Install it.
- Return to the main recovery menu and select ‘reboot system now’ after the files have been successfully installed.
- Wait for the first boot process to complete. It shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes to complete.
- That’s it, you’ve successfully updated your device.
In case your device doesn’t complete the first boot process in 10 minutes then you will have to power off the phone. After that you will need to repeat the entire tutorial and the second time you should make sure that you apply the step 6 and factory reset your smartphone.
If you have any other problems then you should ask for more help in our comments field. We will try to come up with a viable solution. Also, if you don’t like how your device is running with this ROM, then you should use the Custom Recovery mode and restore the NANDROID backup of your previous ROM.