Update Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 to latest XWLPD Official Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich Firmware
Samsung released a new official firmware update for their most popular device, Galaxy S2. The new firmware update can be easily flashed, only if you don’t wish to wait nor to use the OTA method, by reading all the instructions listed in this article.
The build date for the latest XWLPD Android 4.0 ICS firmware is 8th May and now you can easily install it right on your device. Despite the fact that the XWLPD code is for Scandinavian countries, you will still be able to flash the new ICS firmware even if you’re from other countries. Before starting to install the new firmware you will need to prepare your device for the updating process. Here’s what you need to do:
- because this firmware update will require you to wipe all data, it means that you should create backups of all the important files on your device. You can move the files on your phone’s internal sd card or on your computer using the USB cable.
- it works only with the I9100 model numbers of Galaxy S2. Do not attempt to install on I9100G.
- because it wipes all your data, it means that it will delete applications also. AppBak for Android will help you backup and restore your favorite applications fast and easy. Download it from here.
- text messages and call logs info can easily be backed up using these programs: Call Logs backup & restore | SMS backup & restore.
- save your internet and MMS settings. This will prove useful if you cannot browse the internet after the update is complete.
- enable USB debugging option from your SGS2 menu.
- install the USB drivers for Galaxy S2 on your computer: Win X86 download link | Win X64 download link. Alternatively you can update and install them using KIES.
- charge the phone’s battery and this will prevent it from powering off while we’re updating the firmware.
These were all the guidelines you’ve needed to read before starting to update your Galaxy S2 with the new firmware.
Please note that we cannot be held responsible if you brick your phone or something else goes wrong while changing the ROM firmware for your SGS2. Make sure to read all the instructions listed in the tutorial guide.
How to update Galaxy S2 with Official XWLPD Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich firmware:
- Download the XWLPD firmware zip file from here. Extract its contents into a single folder on your computer’s desktop screen.
- Download the Odin v1.85 file from here. Extract the Odin contents into a single folder.
- Power OFF your SGS2 as you will need to load Download mode.
- Download mode can be entered by pressing and holding ‘volume down’, ‘home center button’ and ‘power’ buttons. When doing this your phone has to be powered off and when Download mode loads you will see a ‘warning!’ alert. It is normal.
- Press the ‘volume up’ button and it will go into download mode.
- Now, launch Odin exe from the Odin folder on your PC.
- Click the ‘PDA’ tab in Odin and find the XWLPD firmware .tar.md5 file you’ve downloaded and extracted at step 1. Select it.
- Now, leave all the options as these are configured and then connect your SGS2 to your computer. Odin should say ‘added’ and you can move to the next step.
- Now, since your phone is connected to your PC and Odin is ready then you should hit the ‘Start’ button.
- Wait for the new firmware to be installed and when that’s completed your device will restart and you can disconnect it from your PC when the Samsung logo appears.
- Odin now will display the ‘PASS’ alert and you’re done, everything went according to plan and now you can start testing the XWLPD firmware on your SGS2 device.
Please note that in case ODIN freezes or you receive a ‘fail’ alert then the firmware update wasn’t completed and you will need to disconnect the phone from your computer, close the ODIN exe, remove the phone’s battery and then re-insert it. Now, you will need to repeat the entire tutorial guide and this time you should carefully read all the steps. In case you cannot go past any of the actions listed in the above guide, then you should ask for help in comments.
Those of you who managed to update their device with the new XWLPD Android 4.0 official firmware can start testing the new functions and features added with it. Make sure to let us know in comments how is this new firmware runs on your phone.
In case you wish to root the Galaxy S2 I9100 XWLPD firmware follow the instructions listed in this post HERE. That’s a rooting guide that allows you to gain rooting access and install new custom ROM firmwares that will enhance the overall performances of your Android phone.