The AOKP is a famous project of custom installation ROMs for numerous Android devices. Now it has reached the first official build of Jelly Bean 4.1 and you can install it on your device easily using the instructions that I have listed in this article.
The AOKP Jelly Bean has now reached the Build 1 and it brings the latest JB Android 4.1 features that were edited by Android Open Kang Project team and now it should bring a better interface and improved performances for your Galaxy S2 I9100. All functions are working and you shouldn’t find any major bugs. However, since it is the first build of AOKP based on Android 4.1, then it means that you might find some minor errors and bugs or force close screens. In case you discover any problems with this ROM, please post them in our comments field.
To successfully install official AOKP Jelly Bean ROM on your Galaxy S2 I9100, you will first need to read the preparation guide and you’ll learn how to backup data and other important files. Make sure that you read all the instructions and in case you cannot understand some of the steps listed please tell us in comments and we will get back to you with extra info.
Now that you’ve read all of the above, please move to the prep guide below and learn how to correctly configure your device and your PC for the installation of AOKP Jelly Bean 4.1 ROM:
- install this update only on the Samsung Galaxy S2 with the model number I9100. The ROM you’ll find in this doesn’t work with any other devices and you shouldn’t try to install it on any other smartphones. If you don’t know the model number of your phone, then you should open Settings and then select ‘about device’ option and in the menu screen you will find all the phone details.
- The SGS2 I9100 should be rooted and running CWM Recovery ROM. Check this page for rooting guides. Also it is recommended that the current ROM installed on your phone should be XXLPQ, rooted and with ClockworkMod Recovery image installed.
- Create a Nandroid backup of the existing ROM so that in case you don’t like how the AOKP ROM based on Jelly Bean then you will be able to restore the working one.
- To backup only applications, Call Logs, SMS and the APN Settings please use the following utilities for Android devices: AppBAK for Android apps backup | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- Move all important files on your device’s internal or external SD card. These parts won’t deleted during the update.
- Sync the People / Phone Contacts app with your Gmail account and you won’t lose the phone numbers currently stored on your device.
- Enable USB debugging mode option from the UI settings menu.
- Remember to charge the phone’s battery so that the device won’t switch off during the installation of this new ROM. Make sure that you don’t forget to apply this step, as if you do, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial from the beginning.
- This guide should be applied only by advanced Android users and you shouldn’t attempt to install the ROM if you’re a beginner as you might end up bricking the phone.
- Read the entire tutorial and only when you’re sure that you know what you’re doing you will begin to install this AOKP Jelly Bean 4.1 ROM.
- We cannot be blamed in case your device gets damaged during the update, which means that you’re installing the update only at your own risk.
To install AOKP Jelly Bean build X you should follow the instructions listed below. Make sure that you don’t skip any of the steps listed below and you will eventually manage to flash all firmware files successfully without too much trouble. Ask for extra guidance in the comments section at the end of this article.
How to update Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 to Official Jelly Bean AOKP custom ROM
- Download the AOKP build package file from HERE. It should be a zip and you shouldn’t extract its contents.
- Next, download the Gapps file for Jelly Bean from HERE. This is the file you’ll need to flash in order to install Google based apps. These are required if you want to take control over all Galaxy S2 and Jelly Bean functions.
- After you download the ROM and the Gapps files, you should connect the phone to your computer. Transfer these files on the S2 internal or external sdcard via USB cable.
- When the files are successfully copied you should unplug it from the computer and power off the smartphone.
- Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery by holding the following 3 buttons pressed: volume up + home + power. CWM Recovery will load and when the screen powers on your should release the buttons.
- Now that you’re in the CWM Recovery main screen you have to first select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm this step and when you’re done move to the next one.
- Next, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and from the new menu select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ or ‘choose zip from internal sdcard’, as the location depends on which SD card you’ve placed the ROM.
- Point the CWM recovery selection line to the Jelly Bean AOKP zip file. Confirm the installation.
- Now you need to install the Gapps for Jelly Bean zip and to do this repeat step 7. Point the CWM Recovery selection line to GAPPS Jelly Bean file and confirm that you want to flash the file.
- When both files have been successfully flashed you should return to the main ClockworkMod Recovery screen and select ‘reboot system’ option.
- You’re Galaxy S2 I9100 will now restart and perform its first boot process into AOKP Jelly Bean custom ROM and you should wait at least five minutes for it to complete.
- After the first boot process is finished you will be greeted by the AOKP-based Jelly Bean screen and you should enter your Google account credentials and start customizing and testing the new ROM.
That’s it, now your phone should be running the new custom ROM.
In case the first boot process doesn’t load after 15 minutes or in case the phone gets into a boot loop, then it means that the ROM wasn’t installed and you should repeat the entire tutorial guide. Make sure that you apply step 6 and wipe all data. The second attempt at installing Jelly Bean AOKP ROM on your Galaxy S2 should be successful and you will be able to test the new Jelly Bean 4.1 features and services.
For any extra questions please use the comments section and we will get back to you. Remember that this ROM might still pack some bugs and errors and you shouldn’t install it without creating a full backup of the existing ROM.