Update Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 with Leaked Android 4.1.2 XXLSJ Firmware
I think that all Galaxy S2 users know that the Android 4.1 will be ready for them at the end of this month, but until then you can use this leaked firmware build to test the almost complete version. Use all the instructions that I’ve listed in the article and you will learn how to successfully flash the XXLSJ Jelly Bean 4.1.2 Firmware.
This leaked update file has been launchd by an XDA member named ‘izap’. It seems like this is the first variant of Jelly Bean XXLSJ firmware that has been leaked for Galaxy S2 and from all the community feedback, it seems like it is a stable version and that no major bugs have been found.
The new and main features included in this release are the new Touchwiz Nature UX, which is the same user interface of Note 2 and Galaxy S3; Direct Call, Smart Stay and support for Pop-Up Play functions, Galaxy S3 widgets, two homescreen modes, Google Now and a brand new Notifications bar. There might be multiple other new features but you can find them only if you test the new Android 4.1.2 XXLSJ firmware.
Project Butter brings an enhanced performance and a major stability for the I9100 Galaxy S2. If you want to correctly flash this update, then you should firstly read the pre-requisites and guidelines listed below:
- This guide works only with the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100. Do not attempt to flash the file on any other Android device, nor on the I9100G variant, as that will brick the phone.
- Create a full backup of your currently installed ROM. This will act as cover in case the update files won’t install correctly and you cannot use your phone or in case you don’t like it.
- Your phone should be rooted and the CWM Recovery image has to be installed on it.
- Make sure that your computer has the Samsung USB Drivers installed on it. If it doesn’t then you should use the following download link: Samsung USB drivers for Windows HERE or HERE.
- You can choose to create backups of SMS, Call Logs and APN Internet Settings or even a list of installed apps using these tools: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android. Some of these apps will ask you for root access.
- Save your Contacts to your Gmail account. If you don’t know how to do it, then use our guide here.
- This is not an official Samsung release, but a leaked update, and we cannot be blamed in case you will lose any data or files after its installation.
- Enable USB debugging option from the Developer Options menu.
- Charge the phone’s battery until it gets over 50%. This will prevent the SGS2 from powering off while you’re flashing the new XXLSJ Jelly Bean Firmware files.
- Don’t skip any steps listed in this article. Also, remember that we cannot be held responsible if you brick your device in the process. This is a tutorial that should be applied by advanced Android users and not novices.
Now that you know all of the above, move to the ‘how-to’ guide and learn how to flash the latest Jelly Bean firmware on your SGS2 phone. Use the comments section if you’re having trouble in completing the update.
How to flash Android 4.1.2 Leaked XXLSJ Firmware on Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100:
- Get the leaked Jelly Bean XXLSJ firmware zip file from HERE. Extract its contents to a single folder on your PC desktop screen, you’ll get 3 files in it.
- Download ODIN zip from HERE. Extract the zip files and then move to the next step. This is the file that you will have to use in order to flash the new firmware, kernels etc.
- Power off your SGS2 I9100 after the files are downloaded.
- Boot your device into Download Mode by pressing at the same time ‘Volume down’, ‘home’ and ‘power’ buttons. When the ‘warning’ alert appears you will have to press ‘volume up’ to boot the download mode.
- Now, go to the Odin folder and launch the Odin executable.
- Next, connect the phone to your computer using the USB cable.
- In Odin, click the ‘PDA’ and browse the Firmware XXLSJ folder for the file that is named ‘I9100XXLSJ_ I9100OXXLS1_I9100XXLS6_HOME.tar’ and load it.
- Click ‘Phone’ and browse the same folder for the ‘I9100 XXLS6′ modem file. Load it into Odin.
- Click ‘CSC’ and then add the ‘I9100OXXLS’ CSC file and load it into Odin.
- You have to make sure that the option called ‘Re-Partition’ is not checked. Leave all other options as default.
- Click ‘START’ button when you wish to begin the update process of your SGS2 I9100 to XXLSJ firmware.
- When the update is complete your phone will reboot and when the Samsung logo appears you can disconnect the phone from computer. ODIN will display the ‘PASS’ alert and then the phone will boot into normal mode.
- Test the new firmware Android 4.1.2 XXLSJ and tell us in comments if you find any errors.
- Enter your Google Account and then restore all your favorite apps.
NOTE: In case ODIN freezes or the update doesn’t complete, then you should close ODIN, disconnect the phone from PC, power off the phone and then remove its battery. After that you have to re-insert the battery when 5 seconds are passed. Repeat the entire tutorial starting with step 4. You should manage to flash the update on your second attempt.
If you find any errors or bugs then you should tell us in comments or you can choose to post them directly to the developer’s XDA thread.
These were all the steps that I had for you and now you should begin the testing phase of this pre-final Android 4.1.2 XXLSJ Jelly Bean firmware.
NOTE2: If you’re phone tells you that the SIM is locked after installing this firmware, then you should use the GalaxySIM Unlock tool from XDA. More info can be found here. If your phone boot into normal mode and the SIM is working fine then you can skip the unlock process.
More screenshots from this new leaked XXLSJ firmware build of Jelly Bean 4.1.2 for Galaxy S2 I9100 here.