The Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update has been launched for all Nexus devices and some other Google Play Edition models of HTC, Sony, etc.
This tutorial is destined to be used by Galaxy S2 owners who want to test the new Android environment using one of the most popular KitKat custom ROMs, the OmniROM. This build is based on the latest Android 4.4.3 KitKat release and you can learn more about Omni and what it does at their website here.
Check the guidelines below before starting the updating process of your Galaxy S2:
- use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100.
- check the phone’s model number under Settings> About Phone> Build Number.
- don’t update the phone in case the model number doesn’t match I9100.
- your Galaxy S2 should be rooted for this new guide to work.
- also, a CWM or TWRP Recovery has to be installed on it.
- make sure that you have the USB Debugging enabled in Developer Options.
- that guide is for Galaxy S5, but it should work with Galaxy S2 and any other Android devices.
- in the tutorial you will find two extra preparation steps: the NANDROID Backup and Factory Reset.
- do not skip these steps.
- in case you’re planning on saving data from installed apps or SMS text messages, then you can use Helium for Android from here.
- sync Contacts data with your default Gmail account, too.
- check the Galaxy S2 battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, this will prevent it from switching during the OmniROM Android 4.4.3 KitKat installation.
- use the guide only if you’re an advanced user.
- read the entire guide, do not skip any steps and you should complete the update without problems.
- you shouldn’t held us responsible in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any data in the process.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to flash OmniROM Android 4.4.3 Nightlies for Galaxy S2 I9100:
- Download the OmniROM 4.4.3 Nightly zip from here.
- make sure to download one of the latest builds.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4.x ROMs from here.
- After the downloads are complete you should connect the phone to computer. After that you have to move both zip files to your Galaxy S2 internal storage.
- disconnect the phone from PC when done moving the files.
- disregard this step in case you’ve downloaded the files directly to your Galaxy S2 device.
- Power off the Galaxy S2 now.
- Boot the device in Recovery Move.
- it can be done by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power at the same time without releasing them until Recovery Mode menu loads.
- if you cannot boot Recovery, then you can find more info in this guide for Galaxy S3 – it works with Galaxy S2, too.
- First thing you have to do is to create a full NANDROID ROM Backup:
- CWM: select ‘backup and restore’. Name the file and confirm.
- TWRP: press Install, name the file, confirm.
- Now you need to apply a Factory Reset:
- CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
- TWRP: press Wipe, swipe to confirm Factory Reset.
- get to the next step when done.
- Now you can flash OmniROM 4.4.3 KitKat Nightlies on your Galaxy S2 I9100:
- CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- TWRP: press Install.
- for both instances you simply need to find the OmniROM 4.4.3 zip file and confirm installation.
- After the new ROM is flashed with success you will have to repeat step 8 actions and flash Gapps zip.
- After all files are installed you need to return to main Recovery screen. Reboot the phone in normal mode.
- note that the first boot process will take a while to load all the new files.
Log into your Galaxy S2 home screen using the Google Account info.
If the installation fails you should ask for more help in comments.
Also, try to repeat the guide more than once if you cannot complete update at the first step.