Update Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G To Android 4.2.2 CM 10.1 Nightlies ROM
The Galaxy S2 model number I9100G has received the latest CyanogenMod 10.1 nightlies build and it now sports the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean custom ROM. Use this tutorial and you will learn how to successfully flash the new Nightly variant of CM 10.1 on your device.
The new update comes with the latest Android 4.2.2 in stock form and with some other CyanogenMod elements that made it one of the most popular ROMs out there. In order to make sure that you complete the installation easy and at your first attempt, then you have to read the preparation guide below. Here’s what you need to know:
- this guide will work only for the I9100G model of the Samsung Galaxy S2. It will now work with the I9100 variant, so you shouldn’t attempt to install it on that device. NOTE: the guide for I9100 model is listed here.
- Your phone has to be rooted and running a custom Recovery image such as CWM or TWRP.
- Use the Recovery mode to create a full NANDROID backup of the current ROM. It will be very useful in case your device is unable to boot after installation.
- Make sure that your important is stored on your device’s internal SDcard, as this part of your device won’t be affected by any changes.
- The /system partition of your device will be deleted by the ‘factory reset’ step and that’s why you can choose to backup SMS, Call logs info and other data using these tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. NOTE: If your device is already running a CM 10.1 ROM then you can skip the ‘factory reset’ step and install the new build over the previous one.
- If you don’t want to lose any contacts, then you should sync the People app with your Gmail account.
- Enable USB Debugging from the Developer Options.
- In case the Developer Option doesn’t appear in the Settings menu, then you will have to select ‘About phone’ and then tap 7 times on the ‘Build Number’. The menu for the Android Developer Option should now be listed in Settings.
- This guide should be used by advanced users and you shouldn’t blame us in case something goes wrong and you lose data in the process or you brick your phone.
- If you carefully follow all the instructions then you should be able to successfully install the new ROM.
- Use the comments section to ask for extra help in case you cannot complete the installation.
- Make sure that your device’s battery power charge level is over 50% as that will prevent it form powering off in the process.
These were all the guidelines you had to read before continuing to the next part of this article.
How to install Android 4.2.2 CM 10.1 Nightly ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G:
- Download the CM10.1 ROM from HERE. Save the file on your computer without unzipping its contents.
- Download Gapps for CM 10.1 from HERE. Don’t extract its contents. You have to flash this file in order to install Gmail, Google Now, Play Store and all the other Google-based apps that your device needs in order to work correctly.
- Connect the smartphone to your PC and then move both downloaded files on to its internal SDcard. Disconnect the phone from PC when the files are successfully copied.
- Next, power off the SGS2 completely and then boot it into CWM Recovery. It can be done by pressing Volume Up, Home and Power buttons, all at the same time. Release the buttons when the custom Recovery menu appears. NOTE: You can also use the TWRP Recovery which can be booted just like any other custom Recovery.
- OPTIONAL: If you don’t have a NANDROID backup then you should create one using the ‘backup and restore’ option. This file will be very useful in case you cannot boot your phone after installing this new OS. However, if you already have a backup then you can skip this step.
- Now, select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option if your device is running a different ROM than CM 10.1. Confirm this process. NOTE: If your device is running a CM 10.1 ROM then you can skip this step and flash the new ROM over the current OS.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CM 10.1 Nightly zip file and confirm that you want to install it.
- Next, select once again ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and after that you need to find the Gapps zip and install it.
- Get back to the main menu of the CWM Recovery mode and select ‘reboot system now’.
- Wait until the new ROM completes its first boot and then you can begin testing all of its functions.
- Enter your Google Account details if you applied the ‘factory reset’ action and that should be all.
NOTE: If the first boot process takes too long to complete, then you will have to power off the device completely and after that you will need to repeat the entire tutorial starting with step 4. Custom ROMs are usually acting up when are flashed via Recovery mode and it might not install at the first attempt.
If you don’t like how the CM 10.1 Android 4.2.2 Nightlies build is running on your Galaxy S2 I9100G, then you should use the NANDROID backup of your previous ROM and restore your device to its previous state.
In case you’re having any other problems, then you can ask for more help in comments.