This is the first stable build of SlimBean custom ROM that is based on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean. Use this tutorial in order to learn how to successfully update your Galaxy S2 I9100G easily without bricking it.
SlimBean 4.3 Stable is based on the official AOSP Android 4.3 ROM, but it also features elements from Paranoid Android, CyanogenMod and AOKP custom ROMs. If you want to learn more about it, then you should visit the developers web page here.
If you want to successfully flash this new custom ROM for your SGS2 device, then you should take a look at the guidelines below:
- For this guide to work you will need a Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100G.
- Don’t flash the files you find here on the I9100 model as that will brick it.
- Your device has to be factory unlocked, rooted and running a custom Recovery image such as CWM or TWRP.
- Both CWM and TWRP are working with this tutorial.
- You will have to apply a factory reset for your device before installing the new ROM. This means that all data from system partition will be removed, while the internal / external sdcards won’t be affected by this process.
- Backup data from applications that are installed on your I9100G with these tools: Titanium Backup (here) or Helium from Google Play Store (here).
- Save SMS, Call Logs info and APN Internet Settings with the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access is needed for some of the apps.
- Sync all Contacts info with your Gmail account. If you don’t know how to do it, then you should take a look here.
- Set a restore point for your device by creating a NANDROID Backup for the ROM that is now running on your Galaxy S2 I9100G. This file can be used in case the new SlimBean Android 4.3 ROM doesn’t boot correctly or in case you don’t like it. The info on how to create the backup can be found in the tutorial.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- This guide is for advanced Android users. Do not blame us in case you brick the phone or lose any important data in the process.
- Do not skip any steps.
- Verify the phone’s battery and make sure that it won’t switch off in the middle of the installation process. It should have at lest 50% power before completely powering off.
- If you cannot complete this guide, then you should ask for help in comments.
How to install SlimBean Android 4.3 Stable ROM for Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G:
- Download the custom ROM from here.
- get the latest build available.
- Download Slim-Gapps file from here.
- this file has to be flashed as it will install all Google-based apps for SlimBean ROM.
- Connect your smartphone with your computer, then move both zip files to your phone’s internal storage.
- After the files are moved, disconnect the Galaxy S2 I9100G from computer.
- Power off the phone now.
- Boot it into Custom Recovery Mode.
- CWM and TWRP Recoveries are supported by this guide.
- First thing that you need to do is to create the NANDROID Backup for the ROM that’s currently installed on your device:
- TWRP: press Backup, then select the system parts you want to save and confirm.
- CWM: select ‘backup and restore’, save the Nandroid backup file to your device’s internal storage and confirm this process.
- Now you can apply factory reset:
- TWRP: press Wipe, then Factory Reset. Confirm.
- CWM: select the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm and then continue to the next step.
- Flash the custom ROM zip file now:
- TWRP: press Install, then browse the internal storage for the SlimBean 4.3 I9100G zip file. Confirm the installation by swiping the blue button at the bottom of the screen.
- CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the SlimBean zip and confirm that you want to flash this new ROM.
- The SlimBean ROM will install in a few minutes and then you should use again the actions you used in step 9 to flash Slim-Gapps zip.
- when you’re done installing the ROM and Gapps files, return to the main Recovery menu.
- Reboot your device now in normal mode.
- the first boot process of this new ROM might take up to ten minutes in order to load all the required files.
- if it takes longer than that, then you should repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- Enter your Google Account details when the SlimBean Android 4.3 home screen is displayed on your Galaxy S2 I9100G smartphone.
- Now you can start testing the ROM and see which are its best features.
I hope that you’ve managed to complete this update and that now your device is running on the latest SlimBean 4.3 build.
Note that in case the phone doesn’t boot into normal mode or it enters into a boot loop after you’ve flashed the ROM, then you will need to return to the first of the tutorial and repeat all actions. Make sure not to skip any steps.
For any extra help use the comments field below.
If you don’t like this new ROM or the device doesn’t boot with it, then you can use the NANDROID Backup file created in step 7 and restore your device to its previous state using the same Custom Recovery Mode.