AOKP Jelly Bean reached the Build 2 version and now you can use this article and learn how to successfully flash this update on your Galaxy S2 I9100G. This post contains all the instructions that you need to read in order to apply the AOKP build 2 JB update. Read the entire post first and only after that you should begin the installation.
This is an unofficial AOKP release that is based on Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean and you should install it only on the I9100G smartphone. This build 2 of AOKP has been compiled by ‘bajee11’, an XDA recognized contributer, and it is mainly a port for I9100G that removes all Samsung bloatware, adds new features and functions, repairs numerous bugs. Also, note that this custom ROM is still in its first stages of development and it might be packing some errors, which means that you should create a full backup of your currently installed ROM.
If you want to install this ROM, then you should first read the preparation info below. You will numerous tips and tricks on how to save important data so that you won’t lose any files in the process of ROM flashing. Note that this isn’t an official Samsung update and your device should be rooted in order to support the AOKP build 2 Jelly Bean install.
If you cannot complete the tutorial or in case you cannot understand some of the points listed in this post, then you should ask for more help in comments. Here’s what you need to do before starting the update process:
- Make sure that your Samsung Galaxy S2 has the model number I9100G. Check your device’s version by opening Settings and then ‘About device’ menu. If your device is the correct one, then you can continue with the rest of this guide’s instructions.
- Your phone should be running CWM or TWRP Recovery image. This means that it also needs to be already rooted. If your phone isn’t rooted then you won’t be able to flash this ROM. You can find rooting guides for I9100G by clicking the device’s name that listed under this posts’s featured photo.
- Create a full ROM backup of your current installed one. This will prove to be helpful in case you don’t like the new AOKP build 2 ROM.
- All files stored on your phone should be moved on its internal sdcard. The Internal SD card won’t be deleted in the process. Alternatively, you can move the files on your PC and after the ROM is installed you can restore them back to your smartphone.
- Applications, SMS, Call Logs and the APN Internet Settings should be saved using several applications designed for Android devices: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android. Note that these apps will work with rooted devices.
- Sync your Phone Contacts with your Google Account.
- Charge your phone’s battery so that it won’t power OFF during the installation of this new ROM.
- Enable USB debugging option from your Android development menu.
- This tutorial should be applied only by advanced Android users. Note that we cannot be blamed in case your device gets damaged in the process.
- Note that the AOKP build 2 ROM isn’t an official AOKP release and it might be packing some bugs. Post all the problems you find with this ROM in our comments field.
- If you cannot complete the tutorial, then you should ask for more help in comments, at the end of this post. Note that you’re installing the ROM at your own risk and you should know that you shouldn’t skip any of the steps listed in the ‘how-to’ guide.
- It is recommended for your device to run on an Android 4.0.3 or Android 4.1 ROM.
How to install AOKP Jelly Bean Build 2 on your Galaxy S2 I9100G
- Download the custom ROM file from HERE. Save the file on your PC and do not extract its contents.
- Next, download the Gapps for Jelly Bean from HERE. Don’t unzip it and instead save it on your PC.
- Connect your computer to your PC and then move both these files on its Internal SD card. Unplug the phone from your PC when the transfer is complete.
- Power OFF your Galaxy S2 I9100G and boot it into CWM Recovery mode. It can be done by holding simultaneously ‘volume up’ + ‘home’ + ‘power’ buttons. When the display turns ON you should release the buttons.
- First thing that you need to do is to select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm this action. Note that this won’t delete the contents stored on your device’s internal sd card.
- Now select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and from the new menu select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Browse through the recovery menu and select the ‘AOKP Jelly Bean build 2’ file for installation. Confirm the process and wait until this is completed.
- Next, repeat step 6 again and flash the ‘Gapps’ file. When the ROM and the Google Apps files were successfully flashed, you should return to the main recovery screen.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ option and now the I9100G device will perform its first boot with the AOKP Jelly Bean build 2 ROM. This shouldn’t take longer than 5 minutes. However, in case it takes longer you should power it OFF and then repeat the entire tutorial.
- If every thing went according to plan, then you can enter your Google account credentials and take control over your smartphone.
- That should do it, your I9100G Galaxy S2 has been successfully flashed with AOKP Jelly Bean Build 2 custom ROM.
If you don’t like this new ROM, then you should restore the backed up Android system file and your device will be restored to your previously installed OS.
If you didn’t manage to flash all these files, please ask for more help in our comments field. We will provide any extra helpful tips and guides that should eventually aid you in installing this new ROM. If the OS has been correctly installed, we strongly recommend you test all of its features first and only after you’re done and satisfied with it, you should restore all your important apps and data.
You can find more I9100G guides by clicking the link listed under this post’s featured photo.