Update Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G To AOKP Unofficial Jelly Bean 4.1
Galaxy S2 I9100G has received an unofficial release of the AOKP Jelly Bean ROM and this is a preview build, which means that you shouldn’t use it as a daily OS as it might pack some bugs and not all features were optimized 100% for the I9100G device. If you wish to install this custom ROM, you should read this entire article and make sure that you read both the preparation and the tutorial guides.
This new ROM has been launched by an XDA Recognized Developer named ‘fuss132′ and it can be used only with the I9100G model of the SGS2 phone. Read all the info in this post and before we can begin to flash this new custom ROM you should be checking out the instructions that I have listed in the preparation guide. You will learn what steps you have to take in order to backup all your important files and the SMS, Call Logs, APN Settings etc.
This preview build of AOKP Jelly Bean 4.1 for the Galaxy S2 I9100G might not be that stable, but the developers said that there aren’t any major bugs. One bug is that is the sd card cannot be mounted and you will notice an errors message telling just that. However, if you still want to go ahead with the installation then please read the guidelines below and only afterwards you should move to the tutorial. Here’s what you need to know:
- install the AOKP Jelly Bean 4.1 ROM only on the Samsung Galaxy S2 with the model number I9100G. Do not use this ROM with the I9100 variant as you will end up bricking that device. Check your phone’s model number by opening Settings, then scroll down to the ‘About phone’ menu and you will find the info you’re looking for. If the I9100G model number is listed then you can continue reading the rest of this article.
- in the step-by-step guide you will be told to apply the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ action and this means that all installed apps and some other files will be removed. If you want to be sure that you don’t lose important files, you should move them to your device’s internal sdcard. I recommend you to move the files on your PC as the SD card might not be recognized by this ROM and won’t be able to restore the files.
- use this guide only if you’re an advanced Android user that wants to test new Jelly Bean ROMs and if you wish to backup apps, SMS, Call Logs and the APN internet settings, then use these utilities: AppBAK for Android apps backup | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- To save the phone numbers you will have to sync the Contacts with your Gmail account.
- Your phone should be rooted and running CWM Recovery. Without ClockworkMod Recovery installed you won’t be able to flash the new ROM.
- Charge the phone’s battery so that the I9100G won’t switch off in the middle of the installation process.
- This tutorial is for advanced users and the ROM isn’t very stable, which means that we cannot be held responsible in case something goes wrong and it gets damaged during the update. In case your phone gets bricked then use the comments section to tell us and we will try to help you.
I think that these are all the extra instructions that you can use in order to correctly prepare for the installation of this new early preview build of AOKP for I9100G smartphone. Since you’ve read all of the above, you should move to the tutorial and read the entire info and only after that I recommend you to begin the installation.
Install Unofficial AOKP Jelly Bean 4.1 ROM on Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G
- Download the AOKP preview ROM from HERE. Make sure that you don’t extract the files contained within. NOTE: The download link guides you to the XDA forum post and you should select for download the latest version of the ROM.
- After the ROM is downloaded you should download the Google Apps for Jelly Bean from HERE. This is the zip that you will install and get the Play Store, Google Now, Gtalk and all other Jelly Bean services and application. These files are required if you wish to gain full control over your phone.
- After you’ve downloaded all of the above, you should connect the I9100G to the PC and move them on its internal SD card. Do not extract the zip contents, just drag and drop the files on the phone’s sdcard folder.
- When the transfer is complete you should unplug the phone from the PC and then power it OFF.
- Boot the I9100G into CWM Recovery mode. Do it by holding simultaneously the ‘volume up’ + ‘home’ + ‘power’ buttons. Release the buttons when the screen powers ON.
- When you’re in the CWM Recovery menu you should first select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm that you want to apply this step and when it’s done you move to the next step.
- Now select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and from the new recovery menu select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Point the custom recovery selection line to the AOKP preview ROM zip file. Select it for installation and confirm.
- When the ROM was successfully installed you should repeat step 7 and install the GApps file. Do not install the ROM twice.
- After the ROM and the GApps files were successfully flashed you can return to the main recovery menu.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait until the first boot process into AOKP Unofficial Jelly Bean 4.1 ROM is completed. When that happens enter your Google account details and you’re done.
- Test all Jelly Bean and AOKP features and make sure to tell us how the ROM is working for you.
Please note that in case the phone gets stuck and the first boot process cannot complete, then it means that the ROM wasn’t installed correctly and you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again. Eventually you should be able to install it. Make sure to ask for help by posting a comment at the end of this post.