Update Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G To Official Android 4.0.3 ICS ZCLP5 Firmware Update
Samsung wasn’t paying too much attention to Galaxy S2 GT I9100G owners who were heavily asking for an update that would bring the Ice Cream Sandwich operating system for them. The GT-I9100G phone is the model sold in China and this is a leaked version of the official edition and it has been released for you to install it on your device. Here you can find instructions on how to update your device to 4.0.3 ICS ZCLP5 firmware using an alternative application like Odin and not the OTA update launched by the carrier.
In this post you will find all the instructions that will teach you how to successfully update and install the Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3 OS version on your SGS2 GT I9000G without risking any damage done to your smartphone. Before moving to the tutorial guide, you need to know that your phone should be unlocked and not being network locked because that will brick the phone and then you will be forced to search the internet for another guide on how to unlock your device. For the moment , this update hasn’t been launched for all regions and there isn’t any official time of arrival for it but you still can install this version on your GT I900G Galaxy S device. Make sure that your read all the instructions in this article and do not even think about skipping any steps as that might result in bricking your phone and then you will be forced to search for a totally different guide on how to fix your phone. Also, make sure to read the preparation guide and learn how to properly configure your smartphone for the updating process.
Please note that we cannot be held responsible for any problems your device develops while updating your phone’s firmware files and you should read both, the preparation guide and the how-to instructions part, so that everything will go accordingly to plan. Please remember that your device doesn’t have to be rooted. But, if it this indeed rooted, then you should know that applying this update will mean that the root access will be removed and if you wish to re-apply the rooting files then you will need to return to our website sometimes in the near future and you should find a new rooting guide for Samsung Galaxy S2 GT I9000G that runs on the Android 4.0.3 ICS ZCLP5 firmware files. In case you can’t understand or you have any other questions regarding the tutorial guide for installing the new firmware update on your device, then please feel free to post them in our comments sections.
Now that you know all this, I think that you can move to the pre-requisites info and learn how to properly prepare your SGS2 and computer for the new firmware installation.
- Remember that this update is only meant to be applied on the GT I9100G model numbers. Other devices are currently unsupported by ZCLP5 firmware update version.
- backup all the data such as videos, audios, pictures and all the other important files so that you won’t lose them during the update. You can either move the files to your PC or you can choose to move them on your phone’s internal / external SDcard as that will be the only part of your phone left unchanged. Do not use Samsung KIES as this program won’t be able to restore files after the ICS installation.
- Download the SMS Backup & Restore application to create backups of all the text messages currently stored on your phone.
- Download the Call Logs Backup & Restore tool and this will help you backup the call logs file.
- Contacts can be easily synced with your Gmail account and, if you don’t know how to do it then you should follow this tutorial guide here. When you’re done syncing the Contacts, you should return to continue reading the rest of the firmware update instructions.
- Create backups of your phone’s APN and MMS Settings just in case something goes wrong during the update and you won’t be able to connect to the internet afterwards.
- enable USB debugging and make sure that your phone’s battery is charged and the power levels are over 75% so that it won’t switch off during the firmware update.
- disable or uninstall all the antivirus virus and firewall applications currently stored on your phone. This will prevent any other software from blocking the installation of ZCLP5 4.0.3 ICS installation.
- if your device is rooted, then this update will revoke root access and you should return to our website in the near future and you will find a guide that will help your root the SGS2 running Android 4.0.3 firmware.
Now, since you’ve carefully read all the instructions above, you can move to the tutorial guide and install the new firmware on your phones.
How to update Galaxy S2 I9100G smartphone to ICS 4.0.3 ZCLP5 firmware:
- First, download the Android 4.0.3 ICS ZCLP5 zip firmware file from here.
- Extract the contents of the zip file in a single folder and save it on your PC desktop.
- Now download the Odin application from here and place the executable in the same folder as the above files.
- Launch ODIN and then power OFF the phone. We will need to boot into download mode.
- Download mode can easily be launched by pressing and holding the Volume down and OK menu buttons and, while doing that, press and release the Power button. Wait until the download mode appears; it should display a green/ yellow android logo. In case this doesn’t show up, then you should power off the phone again and repeat the action until the download mode is entered.
- When in download mode proceed to connect your Galaxy S2 I9100G to your computer and then get to ODIN.
- In ODIN, make sure that the option that says ‘Re-partition auto-reboot F.ResetTime’ is ticked.
- Now, click on ‘PIT’ tab and browse the files you’ve created at step 2 and select the one titled ‘omap4_all_20110627_CHN_OPEN_emmc.pit’.
- Click the ‘BOOTLOADER’ button and select ‘I9100G_APBOOT_I9100GZCLP5_CL440504_REVr07_user_low _ship.tar.md5′.
- Now, click on ‘PDA’ and select this file : ‘I9100G_CODE_I9100GZCLP5_CL440504_REVr07_user_low_s hip.tar.md5′.
- Click the ‘PHONE’ button and select the ‘MODEM_I9100GZCLP5_REV_00_CL1130849.tar.md5′ file.
- Click on ‘CSC’ and select the ‘GT-I9100G-MULTI-CSC-OZHLP5.tar.md5′ file.
- After you have successfully selected all the above files it means that you’re ready to press the START button to begin the installation of the new ICS update on your SGS2 device. So, click START and then wait at least 5-10 minutes until all the firmware files have been updated.
- When the update is complete you will be taken to your phone’ s new home screen and when that happens you need to switch it OFF again. We will need to enter recovery mode.
- Recovery mode can be entered by pressing and holding the Volume UP and OK menu center button and, while doing this you need to press POWER for the phone to boot on.
- When in Recovery mode use volume buttons to navigate and the Power button to select the options I’m telling you to, like the ‘Wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm it’s actions and then return to the main recovery menu.
- Now, select the ‘Wipe cache partition’ and confirm its actions. When you’re done with this you will need to select ‘++Go Back++’ and return to the main recovery screen.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait until your phone boots into its new Android 4.0.3 ICS ZCLP5 firmware screen. Start customizing it and give it a test run to see what improvement it bring for your SGS2 I9100G phone.
In case the update hasn’t been successfully applied, then you should re-read the preparation guide and then apply all the steps listed under the tutorial guide because you might’ve skipped a step or two and this resulted in a failed installation of ICS on your phone. In case you try the second and you still cannot apply the chages, then please feel free to ask for help by posting in our comments section.
Remember that we cannot be held responsible in case something goes wrong and your phone gets bricked, despite the fact that the Samsung Galaxy S2 phone is one one of the least brickable Android -based devices.
To check if your phone is currently running on the update you will need to open Settings and from its menu select ‘About Phone’ option which should say ZCLP5 4.0.3 Firmware.
UPDATE: Numerous users complained about bugs and that the Google Play Store isn’t working for them and that they would wish to restore the stock Gingerbread firmware. Follow this link here to learn how to do restore Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread stock firmware using Odin.