The new official Android 4.1.2 JB Firmware has been launched for the Galaxy S2 I9100G device. If you don’t want to use KIES or your device is rooted and you cannot upgrade using Kies, then you should use this post and learn how to manually flash the Android 4.1.2 stock ROM. Read the entire post and you should manage to flash this update at your first attempt.
Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean features the XXLSR Firmware and it brings numerous new things that you can install on your device. It is the first Jelly Bean build that has reached the I9100G phone and it brings all the functions that you are normally finding on the Samsung Galaxy S3 and Samsung Galaxy Note 2 models. In order to be sure that you correctly flash this update, use the guidelines below and learn how to set up your smartphone for the manual installation of Android 4.1.2:
- Use this tutorial only with the Samsung Galaxy S2 that has the model number I9100G. DO NOT USE THIS GUIDE WITH THE I9100 SGS2 (for that guide you can click here).
- This tutorial will revoke root for devices that are rooted. The warranty will be restored, too. NOTE: The data from your device’s system partition might be deleted in the process.
- Use a computer with Windows OS.
- Make sure that your PC has the Samsung USB Drivers installed. If you don’t know then you can download and install the drivers using these links: Samsung USB drivers for Windows 32-bit (x86) OS | Samsung USB drivers for Samsung 64-bit (x64) OS.
- Open the Settings menu of your devices, scroll down and then go to Developer Option and enable the USB Debugging option.
- Sync your saved Contacts with your Gmail account.
- Disable all the antivirus software that is running on your computer. It will prevent any application from interfering with the updating process.
- Charge the phone’s battery before you get to the tutorial guide. Make sure that the power level is over 50%, so that the phone won’t power off while you’re flashing the Android 4.1.2 update files.
- Read the entire post and make sure that you don’t skip any of the steps listed below.
- This is a guide for advanced Android users. You should not held us responsible in case you brick the phone or you lose any data files in the process.
- If you cannot complete the installation, then you should ask for our help in comments.
All the guidelines above should be enough and your device is now prepared for the updating process.
How to install Official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update on Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G:
- Download the XXLSR firmware update from HERE or HERE. Save the zip file on your PC.
- Extract the contents of the zip and save them in a single folder. NOTE: the file will have a .tar.md5 or .tar file extensions. Do not extract any further than that.
- Download ODIN 3.04 from HERE. Save the zip on PC. Extract its contents in a single folder, you can choose to save them in the same folder created at step 2.
- Power off your smartphone completely by removing its battery. Re-insert the battery after 5 seconds.
- Next, press and hold Volume Down, Home and Power buttons. It will load a warning message and you should press Volume UP to launch Android Download Mode,
- Go to Odin folder and launch the ODIN executable.
- Now you can connect your smartphone to your computer via USB cable. NOTE: Odin should say ‘Added!!’, which means that the drivers are installed and you can get to the next step. If that confirmation alert doesn’t appear in Odin, then you will to change the USB port or re-install the Samsung USB Drivers on your PC, and then start all over from step 4.
- In ODIN, click the PDA button.
- Browse your PC for the ‘I9100GXXLSR_I9100GXXLSP_I9100GXEFLSR_HOME.tar.md5’ file. It is the files extracted at step 2. Load it into Odin. NOTE: don’t change any default Odin settings and make sure that the ‘Re-Partition’ option is disabled.
- Press the START button in ODIN in order to launch the updating process. Wait until the install is complete.
- When Odin completes the Android 4.1.2 update you will see the ‘PASS’ message within the application. The phone will reboot automatically.
- Unplug the USB cable when the Samsung logo animation appears.
- Enter your Google Account when the welcome screen of Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean appears.
- Test the new XXLSR firmware and that should be all, you’ve managed to successfully update your smartphone with its latest Android OS.
NOTE: In case ODIN doesn’t complete the update or the FAIL alert appears, then you will need to close the application, unplug the phone from PC and remove the it’s battery. Re-insert the battery after 5 seconds and then you will have to repeat the entire tutorial starting with step 5. The second time you should be able to flash the firmware update. If you can’t complete the tutorial, then you should leave a detailed comment at the end of this post I’ll try to come up with a solution to your problems.
NOTE2: if ODIN says ‘PASS’ but the phone doesn’t go past the Samsung boot animation logo, then you should unplug the phone from PC and then you will have to wipe all data from the /system partition. Use the instructions below and you’ll complete this process:
- Power off the device completely.
- Boot into Recovery mode by pressing Volume Up, Home and Power buttons. Release the buttons when the main recovery screen appears.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm.
- Return to the main stock Recovery phone when the factory reset is complete.
- Select ‘reboot system now’.
That’s it, now your phone will boot into normal mode and with the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OS successfully installed. Enter your Google Account details and take control over your smartphone once again.
These were all the steps you had to take in order to make sure that you successfully update your smartphone to the latest Android operating system. For any other extra questions, use the comments section below.
NOTE for Root users: Return to our website soon as we will post a tutorial that will teach you how to successfully root the Android 4.1.2 XXLSR for your I9100G smartphone.