Update Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G to Official AOKP JB Milestone 1 custom ROM
The AOKP team has reached their first milestone on the AOKP JB custom ROM and now you can use this tutorial and learn how to install it on your Galaxy S2 I9100G smartphone. Note that this is the tutorial for the SGS2 that runs on OMAP CPU and not the Exynos one, as that one has a different model number.
The new update is more stable than the previous ones and it brings only a couple of new features, as this release has been released as to fix bugs that were present in the previous AOKP JB Nightlies builds. If you want to successfully flash this update, you will first need to read the preparation guideline so that you’ll learn which steps you need to take so that you won’t stumble upon any roadblocks.
If you’re a beginner then you should read the entire post first and only when you’re sure that you’ve understood all the actions that you need to take, that’s when you can start the installation of AOKP JB Milestone 1 custom ROM on your I9100G Galaxy S2 smartphone. Here’s what you need to know:
- Note that this guide will work exclusively with the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100G. This is the smartphone sporting the TI OMAP CPU and not the Exynos one. So, do not attempt to flash this custom ROM on any other different Galaxy S2 variants. Check your phone’s model number by opening ‘About device’ menu, it is in the Settings app.
- Your device should be rooted. Also, it should feature the CWM or TWRP Recovery. Without these you cannot complete the installation.
- This is custom ROM that is based on the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean.
- Create a backup of your currently installed ROM, so that in case the phone doesn’t boot after installation of AOKP JB M1 then you can easily restore this one. Also you can restore the backup if you simply don’t like the new ROM or you find some major bugs when running it.
- Move all your important files on the phone’s internal SD card. This will prevent their deletion. You can use the following tools to create backups of installed apps, SMS, Call Logs and APN Internet Settings: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android. Root access might be required for some of these tools.
- Contacts should be synced with your Gmail account. Note that you have to enter the same Gmail account after installing the new ROM. Also, you should know that in case your device is already running the AOKP JB custom ROM, then you can skip these above steps as you simply need to flash the Milestone 1 ROM along with Gapps and everything will work smoothly.
- Remember to charge the phone’s battery so that you won’t to repeat the entire tutorial in case the I9100G smartphone powers off while installing the AOKP JB M1 ROM.
- We cannot be held responsible in case something goes wrong and your phone is bricked in the process.
- Note that you should apply all the steps that I have listed in this article. If you have any other questions, post them at the end of this post and we will get back to you.
I think that these were all the guidelines you had to see before continuing to the next part of this article. Make sure that you know what you’re doing before starting the custom ROM flash process.
How to install AOKP JB Milestone 1 Custom ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G:
- Download the AOKP JB M1 zip from HERE. Don’t unzip it.
- Download the Gapps for Jelly Bean file from HERE. Save it on your PC without extracting it.
- Next, connect the I9100G device to PC. Transfer the files downloaded at the steps above on its internal SDcard, and after that you should disconnect the phone from PC.
- Power off your smartphone and now boot into custom recovery mode.
- When the CWM recovery mode loads, you can select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ in case your phone is now running a different ROM. Confirm this action. NOTE: If you’re device is currently running previous AOKP JB builds then you can skip this step, as the factory reset step is unnecessary, which means that you won’t lose any files stored on the /system partition.
- Now select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and from the new screen select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the AOKP JB M1 zip file and confirm that you want to install it.
- After you’ve installed the ROM, you have to select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and now you should find the ‘Gapps for JB’ zip. Confirm the process and after it is complete, return to the main CWM Recovery menu.
- Choose ‘reboot system now’ and wait for the first boot process to load all the necessary files for this new AOKP JB M1 custom ROM.
- Your phone should boot normally and that will complete this tutorial. That’s it.
NOTE: In case your I9100G device doesn’t boot after installing the ROM or if it gets into a boot loop, then you should remove its battery for 5 seconds. Re-insert the battery and after that you have to repeat the entire tutorial starting with step 4. This time you have to apply the ‘step 5′ and wipe the data and factory reset the Galaxy S2 I9100G. Your phone will then boot normally with this new custom ROM.
These were all the steps that you had to take and now you can begin to test this new release of AOKP JB. Tell us in comments if you find any bugs or errors while running it .